It's been nearly 3 years since my last Carnival Cruise - what changes can i expect?

Yes, I can't believe it either but, it's almost 3 years since I sailed on Carnival. Our last Carnival ship was the Carnival Pride and we loved it! I'm aware of the latest changes such as the new bedding and the newer restaurant menus but, what else has changed? Do they still do "Bedtime Story"? Is the midnight buffet and grand gala midnight buffet still on the schedule? Any new or interesting games? Or not to be missed shows?

Let me know! Sailing on the Liberty in exactly one month - 7/20 sailing! Can't wait!!

Its really hard to say how carnival will handle the midnight buffets on Liberty. They may do something really special since you are on the maiden voyage. Expect lots of fanfare and extra treats. Since John Heald will be the cruise director for Liberty, you will hear the Bedtime story. Liberty will also have SeaSide Theatre http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Articles/liberty_led.aspx , which is a first for Carnival ships.

There was a thread about Liberty showing 3 Las Vegas shows during the 12 day cruises, here is the press release

Three High-Energy Shows to be Featured on New Carnival Libertyspacer.gif03/31/2005 spacer.gifMIAMI (March 31, 2005) — Carnival Liberty, the newest addition to Carnival Cruise Lines’ “Fun Ship” fleet, will feature three different Vegas-style production shows with elaborate sets and costumes and captivating pyrotechnics and other special effects, all enjoyed in a magnificent 1,400-seat theater with Venetian-inspired interiors.

The three Vegas-style shows are among the wide variety of entertainment options that guests will enjoy during Carnival Liberty’s 12-day Mediterranean cruises which are scheduled to kick off July 20, 2005.

The three revues include “Rock Down Broadway,” “Wonderful World” and “Singin’ With the Big Band.”

Like the name implies, “Rock Down Broadway” features songs from popular rock-oriented Broadway productions. The show kicks off with title songs from two of the earliest rock musicals, Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar, followed by hits from Saturday Night Fever, Footloose, Rent and other Broadway favorites, all enhanced by spectacular laser and pyrotechnic effects. There’s also a performance of “Pinball Wizard” from The Who’s rock opera Tommy, complete with a flying pinball machine.

“Wonderful World,” takes guests on a magical journey to a variety of international venues. The show begins with a replica of the signature oversized globe of the 1964 New York World’s Fair, which opens to reveal dancers in stylish costumes. From there, it’s a fun-filled balloon ride over France, followed by a visit to Paris’ fabled Moulin Rouge, and a trip to Asia complete with kimono-clad dancers, dragons and shogun warriors.

Also featured are traditional Irish folk dancing, African-style rhythms, and colorful Latin- and Caribbean-inspired numbers. The show closes with a tribute to the American classic, West Side Story, that includes a glittering pyrotechnics display.

The third show, “Singin’ with the Band,” is Christopher Alan Graves’ salute to two of the world’s most beloved entertainers, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. Accompanied by a cast of talented backup singers, dancers and musicians, with a set reminiscent of the legendary Cotton Club, Graves performs tunes from the singers’ vast library of classics, including “Fly Me to the Moon,” “My Way” and “The Candyman.”

At one point during “Mr. Bojangles,” Graves even appears to dance with Shirley Temple and Mr. Bill “Bojangles” Robinson himself with the help of state-of-the-art video projection technology.

The three shows will be staged in the multi-level Venetian Palace, whose elegant design captures the artistic variety and quality for which the fabled Italian city of canals is renowned. Its striking Venetian-inspired décor includes walls composed of Murano glass tiles in a red-and-gold pattern, and a ceiling adorned with carnival masks in a dozen different motifs.

At either side of the proscenium is a giant harlequin figure that appears to be holding back the curtain as if presenting the show. Flanking the stage are large red-and-white candy-striped Venetian mooring posts — the kind gondolas are tied to in the “Floating City’s” many canals.

The shows make maximum use of the Venetian Palace’s technological advances, which include a revolving stage, rising orchestra pit, “fly-in” scenery capabilities and a multimillion-dollar sound and lighting system.

Thanks Dayton - I just responded to you on our Roll Calls thread - as I said over there, I think our thread isn't getting a lot of attention because we were bumped from the "regular" Carnival board over to Roll Calls...

Thanks for the info though... Can't wait to sail with John Heald, I've read so much about him!!

Just got off the Miracle yesterday - hadn't cruised in 3 years either. The simple changes that I noticed - there was no first night "get to know the passengers, spoon through your clothes" segment. It was just a welcome aboard - introduction to the key entertainment people, with a short number from the dancers. They also separate everyone into 3 teams. White, Red and Blue - this is done through your dining room assignment. Every night at dinner they annouce who is ahead. This is determined by the passengers who win at the games played all day, etc. Also, the waiters don't have their nightly show. They basically just played a different song every night and they free-danced around their sections. (Some sections appeared to have more energetic waiters than others). Our waiter was not muscially inclined, and it was very boring. The other main difference is that they have "relaxed debarkation" now - which means that after the ship has been cleared, you can leave at your leisure. This worked out great for us - we were off the ship at 9:15am. No Baked Alaska for dessert, either. They have taken it off the menu!! (It was my favorite). Anyway, these are the main things I noticed. Have fun! We had a ball!:D

Just got off the Miracle yesterday - hadn't cruised in 3 years either. The simple changes that I noticed - there was no first night "get to know the passengers, spoon through your clothes" segment. It was just a welcome aboard - introduction to the key entertainment people, with a short number from the dancers. They also separate everyone into 3 teams. White, Red and Blue - this is done through your dining room assignment. Every night at dinner they annouce who is ahead. This is determined by the passengers who win at the games played all day, etc. Also, the waiters don't have their nightly show. They basically just played a different song every night and they free-danced around their sections. (Some sections appeared to have more energetic waiters than others). Our waiter was not muscially inclined, and it was very boring. The other main difference is that they have "relaxed debarkation" now - which means that after the ship has been cleared, you can leave at your leisure. This worked out great for us - we were off the ship at 9:15am. No Baked Alaska for dessert, either. They have taken it off the menu!! (It was my favorite). Anyway, these are the main things I noticed. Have fun! We had a ball!:D

Many of the things you mentioned still happen on certain ships, much of the programming is up to the CD and Maitre D.

No Baked Alaska for dessert, either. They have taken it off the menu!! (It was my favorite). Anyway, these are the main things I noticed. Have fun! We had a ball!:D

We were on the Victory about a month ago and had baked alaskan on the last formal night. Also had it on the Glory last year, so it must vary depending on which ship you are on.

Archived