QM2 Disembark – Southampton

Cunard Cruiser

We are thinking of taking two crossings on QM2 next year and were wondering a few things.

First, how long does it take from the time the ship docks until the ship is given clearance? QE2 wait was about 2 hours. Is there “self help” like QE2? Also, we would like to leave our luggage on until we return for a crossing back to NY. It would only be 4 days. We were allowed to this on QE2 (left it with the Baggage Master). Does this still hold true for QM2?

Thanks much.

We have also enjoyed leaving our shipboard clothes and the tandem's case in the baggage room on the QE2. (One of Captaintandem's fondest memories was returning to the ship after two weeks on the road to find our suitcases with a note welcoming us back from Eddie, the baggage master. Although there is a baggage room somewhere onboard the QM2, on our June 2005 crossing the Daily Programme stated "Unaccompanied Baggage: We regret that QM2 is unable to accept unaccompanied baggage or storage facilities for future sailings.".

That's the official position but I have read elsewhere that there have been exceptions made for those who are regulars.

When we were planning our RT crossing this year I contacted Cunard about the possibility of leaving our baggage on board the Mary as we had done on QE2. The World Club rep basically said they would answer the question after we had made our reservations.

We made other plans and crossed Eastbound on a different ship's repositioning. We solved the luggage problem by making arrangements with the B&B where we would be staying the night before we sailed westbound on QM2. There may be a hotel in Southampton which will do the same.

On our crossing in May, the ship docked almost precisely at 7 a.m. Just shortly after 7:30 they announced anyone carrying their own baggage could leave the ship.

They started announcing the others approx. 8 a.m. depending on your deck, travel arrangements, etc.

I was on deck 11 with no flight arrangements and I left the ship shortly before 10 a.m.

That is excellent news Lannp.

We have to be at Gatwick for a 1 pm flight to Budapest and are so worried that we won't make it. But those timings that you mention mean that we should be able to get there easily.

If anyone thinks otherwise, could you let me know, please?

Many thanks

What a shame not being able to leave your luggage on the ship. I guess this is another Princess rule. Princess really doesn’t understand the needs of Cunard passengers.

Yes, Eddie very helpful to us and prior to Eddie, Don the baggage master for 20 years was a doll. I

Archived