Blue or white shuttle bus to Mendenhall

5kids2dogs

It is about a 15-20 min. drive and sometimes is standing room only. There was some confusion at the dock because people with the wrong color ticket thought they were getting on the blue bus.

It really isn't that complicated, but be sure to NOT tear off the small voucher tag. The driver out there was really gruff about that and then the return driver didn't even ask for ANYONE's ticket.

Just don't cut it close. The last bus leaves at 6PM. The rangers WILL call for a taxi if you are left behind at Mendenhall.

Just wanting to verify, you are talking about if people had pre-purchased tickets at a kiosk, right? It's my understanding you can also just purchase tickets on the bus itself, of course I assume you would need cash for that. Am I correct?

• 1 month later...

There is a bike trail along the road away from the traffic and a hiking/mountain biking trail farther in the woods that about parallels the road. We took the bike trail along the road on bikes, almost ran over a porcupine!

We just got back from Alaska and we had no problem catching the first blue bus that came along, which was about 4:00PM. We were dropped off after doing a Harv & Marx excursion and we were also told by our tour driver that a taxi for the four of us would have been about the same price total ($32.00) as the blue bus back to the ship.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and ended up buying round trip tickets for the white bus. It was very easy and a great way to go. Prompt and no issues. A little sightseeing narration along the way, too. The white bus was running every 20 minutes, so it was actually quicker than the blue.

We took the white bus (Glacier Express?) and bought one way tickets. On the way back we ended up with the same company, but there were other folks waiting that had blue bus round trip tickets and our driver went ahead and let them on after it was obvious there would be room for them. He had them give him their tickets and said he would give them to the blue bus company himself. He implied that he did that often, although I wouldn't necessarily bank on that.

• 4 months later...

I am wanting to take one of the buses (Blue or White) to the glacier. When I get off the cruise ship, where would I have to go to buy tickets to ride the buses? Also, if I understand this correct, we should buy one way tickets to begin with and then to catch a bus back we just pay the driver cash when we want to get on?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

So, I gather that the blue bus and the white bus are two distinct bus companies, each running the same basic schedule, right? Are their fees the same? Do they go other places enroute? In other words, will there only be one drop-off spot at Mendenhall Glacier or do I have to pay attention to which stop to exit? If I get on one to return to Juneau/ship, is there only one drop-off spot or do I have to pay attention so I don't get off at the wrong place?

Thanks!

So, I gather that the blue bus and the white bus are two distinct bus companies, each running the same basic schedule, right? Are their fees the same? Do they go other places enroute? In other words, will there only be one drop-off spot at Mendenhall Glacier or do I have to pay attention to which stop to exit? If I get on one to return to Juneau/ship, is there only one drop-off spot or do I have to pay attention so I don't get off at the wrong place?

Thanks!

There will be only one drop point for shuttles at the glacier. The driver will remain you which color bus your and at what time they are expected at that point.

Guest zafra63
I am wanting to take one of the buses (Blue or White) to the glacier. When I get off the cruise ship, where would I have to go to buy tickets to ride the buses? Also, if I understand this correct, we should buy one way tickets to begin with and then to catch a bus back we just pay the driver cash when we want to get on?

Thanks!

I would like to know too where you can get these tickets. Anybody can give us some advice please?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest zafra63

Do you have to go into the centre or can you just do the walking trails? We have no pass for the parks. We are much more interested to do the trails and have a good look around.

There will a person or a booth selling the tickets . They will direct you to the pickup point on the pier for the correct bus. We where not able to buy one way tickets for the bus because the driver didn't carry cash or have a way to accept credit cards.

Guest zafra63

Thanks Kamloops50 for your good information. So it is good that you can buy the tickets close to the ship. I noticed that you can pay online for the blue bus, but we prefer to pay in person. Thanks again.

What is the white bus? How long would you estimate I should allow for a trip to the Glacier, round trip transportation included? I also want to try to see the Glacier Gardens, going there via city bus. I guess after the gardens, I'd have to return to the dock to catch the glacier bus because I don't want to have to hike a mile to the glacier visitor's center. I would be doing this in the afternoon because I plan to do another excursion in the morning. Do you think it's doable or should I pick glacier or garden to see? Thanks!

Glacier Gardens is out by Mendenhall, so you will not want to take the city bus back to the ship dock (~10 miles and close to 1 hour by bus) just to return to Mendenhall (back the way you came from) by shuttle. You'll see what I mean if you look at Google maps. You should probably get a taxi or rent a car.

Glacier Gardens is out by Mendenhall, so you will not want to take the city bus back to the ship dock (~10 miles and close to 1 hour by bus) just to return to Mendenhall (back the way you came from) by shuttle. You'll see what I mean if you look at Google maps. You should probably get a taxi or rent a car.

I did look at a map and Web sites. I was hoping to just take city bus to glaciers, but then I read about the walk from the bus stop.

Will the glacier bus pick up near the gardens or does it only pick up at the port?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...