Best time to book flight out of San Juan

Rudebob

Although we have cruised many times in the past this October we will be taking our first southern Caribbean on RCCL. This will also be our first experience in traveling in/out of San Juan.

I am in the process of booking our airline reservations and am wondering what would be the earliest flight you would feel comfortable booking the same day after disembarkation. The best flight I can find is 11:05 am the same morning. Not being familiar with the port/airport, customs, ag inspection, etc. Would I be able to make this flight in time without a lot of stress?

Thanks,

'bob

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with a flight that early from San Juan. We flew home the next day because the flights were so much cheaper that, even factoring in the cost of the hotel, we still saved $$ flying out on Monday rather than Sunday. If you must fly back the same day you debark, I'd recommend 1-2pm. In addition to security, you are required to go through agriculture, which adds quite a bit of time.

Have flown out of PR twice after an RCI southern Caribbean cruise. We had 3pm the first time and 11:08 this last April.

I preferred the 11am time, yes there's some risk but even RCI recommends anytime after 11am. We did self disembark, was off the ship in no time, easy to get a taxi, no line at the Ag inspection, no lines at Air Tran check in and no line at security.

The first time, for our 3pm flight the Ag line was short but the other 2 were long. In the end we were pretty early for our 11am flight, I'd do it again.

I don't have any problem booking a flight around 11 am or shortly after either. Have done self disembark on both Princess and Royal Caribbean and both times we were at the airport before 8AM and ahead of the masses (which seems to works to our advantage). I fly Jet Blue and the agricultural inspection in right next to the check in area and very convenient too. Just make sure you don't miss that step - before going to the counter. We were at the gate by 9AM both times....

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with a flight that early from San Juan. We flew home the next day because the flights were so much cheaper that, even factoring in the cost of the hotel, we still saved $$ flying out on Monday rather than Sunday. If you must fly back the same day you debark, I'd recommend 1-2pm. In addition to security, you are required to go through agriculture, which adds quite a bit of time.

That is what I have found. I just booked flying in late Saturday night and leaving on Monday. We save well over $500.00 by doing it this way. :)

11AM is doable if you self disembark. Like most of the islands, to ensure your luggage is on the same plane you are, you need to get it checked in no later than 45 minutes prior to departure.

Allow 20-25 minutes for cab ride in traffic from port to airport. Then you've got the ag inspection line to deal with before you can check your bags in.

Archived