Working For Tips...

agd38

I have to disagree with this (and I don't really care if you flame me for it! :p). What if you get incredibly crappy service from your room steward or dining room staff? What if they're rude to you? Yes, these are "what ifs", but apparently it does happen sometimes. If a staff member is rude/ignores your polite requests/etc. they don't deserve a tip because they really aren't doing their job. Attitude counts for a lot in the hospitality/service industry. JMHO
Ok no flaming but why dont you stick your neck out and bait them first with a small tip in the beginning and start your relationship with them that your a generous person and they will get more of a tip at the end and I bet everyone you do that to will kiss your butt and no one will be rood to you and respect you right off the bat,---then if they mess with you then you have a reason to say what needs to be said -- fair enough thats what i intend to do !:)

Ok no flaming but why dont you stick your neck out and bait them first with a small tip in the beginning and start your relationship with them that your a generous person and they will get more of a tip at the end and I bet everyone you do that to will kiss your butt and no one will be rood to you and respect you right off the bat,---then if they mess with you then you have a reason to say what needs to be said -- fair enough thats what i intend to do !:)

Because I don't think that should be neccessary to get decent service.

No wonder that people are starting to complain about the service with advice like, "If you get crappy service just leave the auto-tip".

What a load of bull.

If I get crappy service, they get nothing period. If someone is going to live off tips and give crappy service, than that's what they deserve.

If they do their job they will get their tip. So far in 20 something cruises not one single service person has ever done anything more than that, they have cleaned the room, served dinner or drinks.

I've been trying to figure out some comments I've read about the service staff, that they bend over backwards, do everything but slit their wrists for you.

What exactly are these people doing for you?

Cheers,

Peter

I have a couple of tip questions regarding cruise please.

On top of the S&S tipping, should you give a tip each evening for extra good service, or wait until the end of cruise and tip?

Should you tip for excursions?

I prefer to tip at the end of the cruise rather than with increments as far as the dining or room steward. Although its not uncommon to tip the room steward 1/2 upfront and 1/2 later I guess. I also tip the room service delivery person considering ROOM SERVICE HAS NO FEES--A couple of dollars every time was very welcomed. Considering that typical room service charges delivery + gratuities so this was not a biggie.

On my excursions I tipped as well. I took a snorkel/cataraman excursion and when one of the excursion employees offered me drinks while in water and he had to swim to the boat and swim back to my group drink in hand, how can you not tip????

We bonded quite well with our dining team, it was amazing to see how many tables did as well. Hugs and kisses were shared and it was quite sad to say goodbye considering it was only a week.....Many tables felt the same...

No wonder that people are starting to complain about the service with advice like, "If you get crappy service just leave the auto-tip".

What a load of bull.

If I get crappy service, they get nothing period. If someone is going to live off tips and give crappy service, than that's what they deserve.

If they do their job they will get their tip. So far in 20 something cruises not one single service person has ever done anything more than that, they have cleaned the room, served dinner or drinks.

I've been trying to figure out some comments I've read about the service staff, that they bend over backwards, do everything but slit their wrists for you.

What exactly are these people doing for you?

Cheers,

Peter

I am not sure I read your post correctly. If someone serves you drinks and cleans your room, you DO or DON'T leave a tip? I agree that you should be able to "downsize" a tip for poor service. However, I think poor service is in the eye of the beholder. I will admit that if I am in a restaurant and the server ignores me or never checks on us I will leave less than my customary 20%, but I have never "stiffed" someone. If they get the food and drink to the table, that is worth a minimum 10%. If they run back and forth several times for drink refills etc., or we have a large group I will tip 25%. Perhaps servers make more in the UK than they do in the US.

Bridget

Sorry. I leave the S&S charges BECAUSE it is pooled. I'm not punishing my own terrible service, I'm punishing the serivce in general by not leaving that money. I consider that part of my cruise money. If everyone takes that money away because of their bad server, than all the servers suffer which makes morale low, and service poor.

If I get terrible service I complain and get a different server. Withholding money from them will take a LONG time for them to decide to quit. Everyone telling their boss they are rude or mean, will get them fired within the week.

I don't want to keep money in my pocket. I want wonderful service.

I am not sure I read your post correctly. If someone serves you drinks and cleans your room, you DO or DON'T leave a tip? I agree that you should be able to "downsize" a tip for poor service. However, I think poor service is in the eye of the beholder. I will admit that if I am in a restaurant and the server ignores me or never checks on us I will leave less than my customary 20%, but I have never "stiffed" someone. If they get the food and drink to the table, that is worth a minimum 10%. If they run back and forth several times for drink refills etc., or we have a large group I will tip 25%. Perhaps servers make more in the UK than they do in the US.

Bridget

If they do their job they will get their tip.

How can poor service be judged by anyone OTHER than the person being served? That is why tipping is discretionary, not mandatory!

Yes, servers are paid more in the UK and don't expect to be rewarded for doing their job, as in the States. In the case of most servers here, to regularly get tips imply that they actually are providing excellent service and merit receiving something above the norm, and the norm is 0% not 10% or 15%.

Shoddy service is met with a visit to the manager and a decrease in the tab. Being an expat I can tell you that servers, both food and bars, love to see Americans come in as they are so embarassed to not tip, that they get poor service and get tipped as well. Even when some of my colleagues come to visit, they still can't manage to not tip 20% even when I tell them it is not expected.

Cheers,

Peter

Archived