What to do in San Diego besides the zoo???

hardingk

Besides the zoo, what elses is there to see or do in San Diego? We will be spending 1 day there pre-cruise for our Mercury Mexican Riveria cruise. We arrive arrive at 10AM and was wondering what there is to see & do besides the zoo.

You mean in addition to the zoo or instead of the zoo? I don't think you will have time for more than the zoo, it will take all day. There is also the SD Wild Animal Park which IMHO is a better venue than the zoo, but you will need a car as it's outside the city. There is also Sea World. If you do the zoo in the day, you can then visit Old Town, walk around and have dinner there in the evening. I only spent a week in SD but found it a wonderful place to visit.

The Wild Animal Park is 40 miles north of the port. It is owed by the San Diego Zoo. Either would take an entire day if you really want to see anything, and there is a LOT to see. You do need a car to get to the WAP. The zoo can be reached by cab or bus easily as it is in the middle of the wonderful Balboa Park. Other features of the park include the San Diego Natural History Museum, Museum of Art, Timken Art Museum, Museum of Man, Botanical Garden, Spreckles Organ Pavillion, Japanese Friendship Garden, San Diego Historical Society Museum and the Rueben H. Fleet Space Center and (IMAX) Theater. There is also an Aerospace Museum and Classic Car museum.

Near the port, you can tour the Star of India (oldest iron sailing ship afloat), the ship from the movie "Master and Commander", a Soviet submarine, and several other boats that are part of the San Diego Maritime Museum. Just south of the cruise ship pier is the new Midway Museum which is a restored aircraft carrier with an extensive military aircraft display on the flight deck. Just north of this is a place where you can take a 2 hour sail on an America's Cup sailboat and participate in sailing.

You can shop at Horton Plaza or Seaport Village. Children may enjoy the downtown Children's Museum. The Gaslamp Quarter has good galleries, shops and restaurants. You can see a ballgame at the new Petco Park if it is baseball season.

If you want to see more of the city, I recommend taking the Old Town Trolley. On and off all day as many times as you want at all their stops for one price.

You can also rent a car and drive the 59 mile scenic drive. This takes you to Coronado to see the historic Hotel del Coronado, and include the Cabrillo National Monument (best view in San Diego), the beach areas of Ocean, Pacific and Mission Beach, La Jolla, and Torrey Pines. You can visit the Birch Aquarium (part of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography) on the UCSD campus (another great view) in La Jolla, and stop to watch the hang gliders and paragliders at the hang glider port on the La Jolla Farms cliffs. You can even take a tandem flight here! Drive to Torrey Pines State beach and visit the Torrey Pines Reserve visitors center for docent led hikes to see the endangered Torrey Pines, or park at the beach area and walk for several miles south on Torrey Pines beach, a wonderful walk all year around. If you golf, you can try to get a T-time at the Torrey Pines Golf Course (it is a city-owned, public course).

You can take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) from the port to Old Town State Park, which is where San Diego began in 1769. Historic buildings, shops and restaurants. Take the Trolley to the end of the line and walk a few blocks (or drive) to see the San Diego Mission which is still a functioning church.

Of course we have wonderful beaches and watersports as well. Both Mission Bay and San Diego bay have boat tours, and you can also rent sailboats.

Some people want to visit Tijuana. Don't be tempted to try to drive. Most rental car companies won't allow it, and it can be dangerous to drive there. If you really want to go, take your passport, and take the San Diego Trolley to the border, walk across and it is only a few blocks to the Revolution (street with most of the tourist shops and restaurants).

Be sure to eat a fish taco at Rubio's and have some more seafood as this is our specialty, as well as good Mexican food.

This just scratches the surface. San Diego is a lot more than just a zoo and a bunch of Navy ships!

What can't you do in San Diego? I'm a native and I still have not done everything. Close to the port we have Seaport Village, deff worth a trip. I highly suggest a visit to Old Town and/or Balboa Park. If you are renting a car you can get out of the downtown district and things really open up. San Diego is the only city in the US that I know of where you can Snow Ski in the morning (Big Bear), Defrost at the beach and ride dune buggies in the desert by nightfall. What do you want to do? Shoot me a message and I can help you find it. We have every activity that you can think of. Although you might want to take time of year into consideration. Our ocean does get cold. And our water visabilty sucks. But you can swim with seals in La Jolla if you want to.

Dont forget we also have Disneyland around 2 hours north on the I-5 and Legoland if you have kids that are younger. The Zoo like bjboothman said is an all day affair, Lots of walking, fun and beautiful, OH and very hot. Sea World seems to be alot cooler and also lots of fun. Next to the Cruise Terminal theres San Diego harbor boat excursions that cruise across to Coronado and also the Dinner cruises. http://www.sdhe.com/

Where will you be staying the day before? and how many in your party? I would rent a car and drive up to Anahiem and go to Disneyland if you havent been there yet.

The Zoo is rarely hot, and there is lots of shade. The Wild Animal Park is much hotter in the summer, and cooler in the winter as it is about 30 miles inland. I did not include Sea World...not much of a fan, and it is very similar to Sea Worlds in other parts of the country. Our Zoo is unique.

The Wild Animal Park is 40 miles north of the port. It is owed by the San Diego Zoo. Either would take an entire day if you really want to see anything, and there is a LOT to see. You do need a car to get to the WAP. The zoo can be reached by cab or bus easily as it is in the middle of the wonderful Balboa Park. Other features of the park include the San Diego Natural History Museum, Museum of Art, Timken Art Museum, Museum of Man, Botanical Garden, Spreckles Organ Pavillion, Japanese Friendship Garden, San Diego Historical Society Museum and the Rueben H. Fleet Space Center and (IMAX) Theater. There is also an Aerospace Museum and Classic Car museum.

Near the port, you can tour the Star of India (oldest iron sailing ship afloat), the ship from the movie "Master and Commander", a Soviet submarine, and several other boats that are part of the San Diego Maritime Museum. Just south of the cruise ship pier is the new Midway Museum which is a restored aircraft carrier with an extensive military aircraft display on the flight deck. Just north of this is a place where you can take a 2 hour sail on an America's Cup sailboat and participate in sailing.

You can shop at Horton Plaza or Seaport Village. Children may enjoy the downtown Children's Museum. The Gaslamp Quarter has good galleries, shops and restaurants. You can see a ballgame at the new Petco Park if it is baseball season.

If you want to see more of the city, I recommend taking the Old Town Trolley. On and off all day as many times as you want at all their stops for one price.

You can also rent a car and drive the 59 mile scenic drive. This takes you to Coronado to see the historic Hotel del Coronado, and include the Cabrillo National Monument (best view in San Diego), the beach areas of Ocean, Pacific and Mission Beach, La Jolla, and Torrey Pines. You can visit the Birch Aquarium (part of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography) on the UCSD campus (another great view) in La Jolla, and stop to watch the hang gliders and paragliders at the hang glider port on the La Jolla Farms cliffs. You can even take a tandem flight here! Drive to Torrey Pines State beach and visit the Torrey Pines Reserve visitors center for docent led hikes to see the endangered Torrey Pines, or park at the beach area and walk for several miles south on Torrey Pines beach, a wonderful walk all year around. If you golf, you can try to get a T-time at the Torrey Pines Golf Course (it is a city-owned, public course).

You can take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) from the port to Old Town State Park, which is where San Diego began in 1769. Historic buildings, shops and restaurants. Take the Trolley to the end of the line and walk a few blocks (or drive) to see the San Diego Mission which is still a functioning church.

Of course we have wonderful beaches and watersports as well. Both Mission Bay and San Diego bay have boat tours, and you can also rent sailboats.

Some people want to visit Tijuana. Don't be tempted to try to drive. Most rental car companies won't allow it, and it can be dangerous to drive there. If you really want to go, take your passport, and take the San Diego Trolley to the border, walk across and it is only a few blocks to the Revolution (street with most of the tourist shops and restaurants).

Be sure to eat a fish taco at Rubio's and have some more seafood as this is our specialty, as well as good Mexican food.

This just scratches the surface. San Diego is a lot more than just a zoo and a bunch of Navy ships!

Great list. I think I need to schedule a trip to see my brother very soon. I'm missing those fish tacos.

I definitely agree with the scenic drive, it is absolutely beautiful. One of my favorite things to do is go to Cabrillo because you have an absolutely wonderful view of San Diego and the harbor plus you get to see some history too.

Besides the zoo, what elses is there to see or do in San Diego? We will be spending 1 day there pre-cruise for our Mercury Mexican Riveria cruise. We arrive arrive at 10AM and was wondering what there is to see & do besides the zoo.

No sure if anyone else mentioned this - but you can take whale watching cruises out of San Diego - they are quite fun. We spent 5 days in San Diego after a cruise and barely scratched the surface on things to do. Enjoy!

Whale watching season is late November through early March. Not as good as it used to be 20 years ago...they don't know why, but the whales are going further off-shore now, but still a good chance you would see some grays on a good trips. Seaforth Landing has some good trips. but try to snag one sponsored by the Birch Aquarium or the Natural History Museum for the best trip.

Thanks for the idea splinter, but we will probably miss it as we are not going until early April. When we were in Hawaii in May 04, we were at the end of the season and we saw a few whales while on a snorkel trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering what hotels might be near Seaport Village. Wanted to go thru priceline. Seems like a perfect area to walk, shop and have a nice dinner before the cruise the next day. Thanks

Most of the hotels near Seaport Village are a little on the pricy side (Hyatt Regency, Marriott Marina, etc.) since this is also where the Convention Center and Petco Park is located. Embassy Suites is right across the street. If you move into the Gaslamp Quarter you can find a few more reasonable places like the Comfort Inn Gaslamp. Little Italy will be less expensive yet, but you will also be in the flight path for the airport in the south part of this area (like the Days Inn Harbor View).

Check out this site: http://www.sandiegohotels.com

Hotel Del Coronado

http://www.hoteldel.com/

Balboa Park-Eat at El Prado Restaurant

http://www.balboapark.org/aboutrestaurants.html

I am staying at the Holiday Inn on the Bay for two nights before our cruise. We're driving from Phoenix one-way and I am trying to determine how long we may need to keep the car. Are Seaport Village, Horton Plaza, and the Gaslamp Quarter within feasible walking distance from the port, and if not, what is the most convenient method of transportation? We're just interested in an area where we can walk around and find a moderate restaurant for the night before the cruise.

I always suggest the Sheraton Habor Island as another place to stay. Close to the airport, great pools, rest and bar. It is only about five minutes from the cruise ship terminal. Plenty of cabs at the Sheraton and the fare is only about six dollars. Just another thought!

Enjoy our fantastic city. I am so lucky to live here!

Are Seaport Village, Horton Plaza, and the Gaslamp Quarter within feasible walking distance from the port

You can walk to all 3 if you are good walkers. Seaport Village is about 8 blocks, and Horton Plaza is about 10 blocks. The Gaslamp is south of this. Alternatively you can catch the San Diego Trolley at American Plaza (right next to the train depot) and take this to Seaport Village and the southern Gaslamp (two separate stops). This would be the Orange Line. You can also catch the Orange or Blue Line to the 5th Avenue station, walk 3 blocks south and get to Horton Plaza. You can also take the Blue Line north to Old Town. All have lots of moderately priced restaurants and shops and it is better to walk than drive as parking is tight (and expensive) at all but Seaport Village (which does validate parking if you make a purchase).

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Information/trolley/trolleyMap.asp

• 2 weeks later...

A fun place to have cocktails near you is the Manchester Grand Hyatt. They have a great lounge on the 40th floor with amazing views of the bay and the city. The hotel is right next door to Seaport Village.

There are SO many great places to eat in the gaslamp. You will have no trouble finding somewhere. A relativly new palce is The Oceanairre. They have fantastic seafood, but are a little pricey. It is at 4th and J Street

Be sure to visit the Star of India and the Master and Commander boat right next to the cruise ship terminal

Enjoy

I forgot to mention, maybe a ferry ride over to Coronado Island and a visit to the famous Hotel Del Coronado.

For great pizza, walk to Filipi's on India Street. It will be about a fifteen minute walk from your hotel, but great pizza for little $$

What is the best beach to hit for the day while in port? And how to get there?

You could kill two birds with one stone and take a taxi over the Coronado bridge...you can go to the beach there (beautiful with the view of the bay and Pt. Loma in the background) and then take in the Hotel Del Coronado...a Victorian hotel which is very famous, beautiful and unique...sit outside and have lunch and/or a drink and soak up the ambiance!

There is a passenger ferry (bikes, no cars) from near the cruise ship terminal to Coronado that would probably work for you. It leaves every hour on the hour from 9AM-10PM. From the ferry landing on the Coronado side there is a shuttle bus that goes to the Hotel Del. The beach in front of the hotel (and slightly north) is my favorite...lots of wide sandy beach, no rowdy crowds, and if you are lucky you get to watch SEALs in training come running by (from the nearby SEAL training base). Nice eye candy!

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

You can get information about the Coronado Shuttle (MTS bus #904) at 800 409-3310 or get info here:

http://www.sdcommute.com/Rider_Information/routes/904.asp

• 1 month later...

Archived