Fuming!!!!!!!!

elaine61

Mufi

Thanks, will send my other half down ASAP after boarding. Don't get me wrong we don't not give a tip. We just feel its personal and should be left to the passengers discretion. In fact on our regular cruise line we are always greeted fondly by our past staff. As we cruise with them often it is always like coming home. Call me sceptical but I also wonder how much of the tip that you pay direct is actually given to the cabin/restaurant stewards!!

Elaine

Elaine, please look up some of the posts on the boards regarding "tipping". When a cruise line charges $x/per person/per day to your shipboard account, it usually goes into a "tip pool". If you remove this from your shipboard account, any tips you give your staff or crew are required to be turned back into the pool and not kept. There is a list of cabins given to the servers as to which cash they are allowed to keep and which they must turn over to the pool. I am quite certain this also is Cunard policy (at least it was on my QM2 voyage).

Elaine, please look up some of the posts on the boards regarding "tipping". When a cruise line charges $x/per person/per day to your shipboard account, it usually goes into a "tip pool". If you remove this from your shipboard account, any tips you give your staff or crew are required to be turned back into the pool and not kept. There is a list of cabins given to the servers as to which cash they are allowed to keep and which they must turn over to the pool. I am quite certain this also is Cunard policy (at least it was on my QM2 voyage).

Yes, but in the real world this just does not happen. Your table waiters or cabin stewards have cosseted you for the entire voyage, and when you give them the tip they have been hoping for do you really think that they are going to put this in a big share out pot. No way, and if you were in their place, with the minimal wages paid on the assumption that you are expected to make the real lolly from tips, would you.

David.

We just aren't used to tips being automatically added to your on board account although I do believe that P & O are testing the waters with this idea on Oceana from next year. Calmseas, are you suggesting we just leave the tip as it is and have it charged to our onboard account?? Another thing I really do not understand is how Cunard seem to charge double what P & O suggest. P & O suggest £3.50 per person per day for cabin steward/restaurant stewards. As I am limited to the amount of cruise companies that I travel with I just wondered if the Cunard tip per person per day was the norm on the ships that generally work out of the US. Like I say I don't have a problem with tipping, but I feel that if they know they are going to get the tip no matter what they will be half hearted about their job instead of giving 150%!!!!!

Elaine

Elaine:

With a table number in hand, you should be able to at least request the table in advance. I would call Cunard directly and tell them that it's the least they can do in light of the hassles you have been put through. Then, of course, go directly to the dining room as soon as you board and see the matre d'. If you are not pleased with your assignment, you should be able to have them make a reassignment.

I too had problems with Cunard prior to departure, but all went beautifully once we boarded. It makes me think tgat the crew would do a better job of running the company than their land-based colleagues.

Good luck and enjoy!

We just aren't used to tips being automatically added.... Calmseas, are you suggesting we just leave the tip as it is and have it charged to our onboard account?? ......... As I am limited to the amount of cruise companies that I travel with I just wondered if the Cunard tip per person per day was the norm on the ships that generally work out of the US.

Elaine

Elaine, without going too far OT from you OP, "auto-tipping" is as much a dilemma here as for you. It is a relatively new item (except for all-inclusive cruise lines that do not allow any tipping). You are the only one who can decide what is right for you. That said, the $10 ($13.00, with butler service)/pp/per day is the same amount that I have encountered on HAL, NCL, and RCCI.

For further info., I suggest you or your TA contact Cunard directly and ask for an explanation of the exact distribution. You may find additional answers by using the "Search" feature at the top of the boards.

In any case, enjoy your voyage! She is a beautiful ship with lots to explore :)

Elaine,

Most restaurants and hotels in Europe add the service charge and provide excellent service. I've never found that the inducement of a tip guarantees good service any more than a reduction in the tip sinks in with workers who are too dense to really"get it". If one has pride in what he/she does, the quality of work will reflect that pride. If not, nothing will work. We were on QM2 last year and have booked passage for next summer. I liked having the tip included, and I gave an extra gratuity to those staff members who provided special service. All in all, the service was excellent.

Archived