My first Costa Cruise this July...

mosstraveltv

Hi Folks,

I'm cruising on the Mediterranea this July, from Rhodes to Rhodes via the Eastern Med. I've looked briefly at the ship online and it seems a reasonable size. We've got two adjoining cabins on Deck 7 and the all-inclusive package. I'm quite pleased with how long the ship stays in port at the Eastern med destinations, and I'm very excited to return to my favourite island in the world - Santorini.

Anyway, I'm just writing this message to ask if anyone has any tips / advice / pearls of wisdom about either the ship, Costa Cruises in general, or any of the cruise destinations.

Thanks in advance, I will make a very detailed video review of the ship like i have done on previous cruises (see my footer).

Regards

Stu.

We cruised on Costa Atlantica in the same region last year and had a great time. The all inclusive takes all cost worries out of it.

I'm sure you will have a great time, like the other post says, it did seem like a little disorganised.....but we had great cabin staff, great dinner table staff and when we wanted anything, it came. With that in mind, who cares if the others think its disorganised!

And yes, Santorini is amazing......we (2 adults and 3 kids, adjoining cabins on deck 6), were too much in awe to do a lot...must go back one day!

• 2 weeks later...
my main tip for first time costa cruisers is 'go with an open mind'. it will seem crazy and disorganized at times, but somehow it works.

This. Costa doesn't do things the way any other cruise line does them, but if you know that, and go with the flow, it works very well.

If you can understand enough Italian to get by, go to the Italian safety drill. We made a mistake by going to the English one. We had to sit through almost 90 minutes of general information about which restaurant is located where, what hours the disco is open, etc, before we even got to the actual safety information. The Italians were done in half an hour.

The drinks package is an amazing bargain. There should be a drinks menu in the bars which will indicate what is included and what is not.

I've avoided July/August because I've been told all of Europe goes on vacation then. The kids may be 3rd/4th occupancy in the cabin, but they don't sit in their parents' laps, they take up seats. And some parents will always let their little monsters run loose.

Appreciate seeing any observations on that issue.

I've avoided July/August because I've been told all of Europe goes on vacation then. The kids may be 3rd/4th occupancy in the cabin, but they don't sit in their parents' laps, they take up seats. And some parents will always let their little monsters run loose.

July isn't too bad, especially before schools break up - August is the main holiday period for Europe.

Most Costa and MSC passengers are of other nationalities than American and consequently vast differences in values and culture may be displayed. This includes differences in how to (or whether to) line up, whether kids are supposed to be seen but not heard, what type of entertainment to prefer and how to treat the waiters and cabin attendants. Being a European myself, I'm pretty used to navigating in this complex ocean of cultural diversity, but if you are an American, you may find it more tiring than refreshing. Therefore, I totally agree with the previous advice to go with an open mind.

Which ports do your itinerary include, in addition to Rhodes and Santorini?

Didnt see any of this on my Costa cruise. I guess if kids are a problem best avoid them and aim for an adults only ship?

Didnt see any of this on my Costa cruise. I guess if kids are a problem best avoid them and aim for an adults only ship?

Easier said than done! Last I knew, P&O had one ship that was adults only, but other than that, I don't know of any. People who want to avoid thundering herds of children have to rely on cruising when most of them are in school.

July isn't too bad, especially before schools break up - August is the main holiday period for Europe.

I disagree, school holidays start late June in Spain and Italy, so if you are looking at the Med on Costa, July is a busy period.

Even in parts on the UK July is the main holiday month.

I find the hoards of older people who smoke rather upsetting. They also seem to moan a lot about everyone else! And drink heaps. Is there a specific period i can avoid when they go on holiday? :D

I find the hoards of older people who smoke rather upsetting. They also seem to moan a lot about everyone else! And drink heaps. Is there a specific period i can avoid when they go on holiday? :D

If you dislike smokers then avoid Costa - you have ALL the other lines for you to choose from. :)

Most Costa and MSC passengers are of other nationalities than American and consequently vast differences in values and culture may be displayed. This includes differences in how to (or whether to) line up, whether kids are supposed to be seen but not heard, what type of entertainment to prefer and how to treat the waiters and cabin attendants. Being a European myself, I'm pretty used to navigating in this complex ocean of cultural diversity, but if you are an American, you may find it more tiring than refreshing. Therefore, I totally agree with the previous advice to go with an open mind.

quote]

Well said. In my previous experience with Costa (at least 5 cruises, don't have the correct info handy), it is not unusual to see that the percentage of English speaking guests in the single digit. So if you are not versed in a secondary language and book your shore excursions on board, be prepared for last minute cancellation due to less than the minimum number required for a group tour.

On our first cruise with Costa last April we booked a few ship excursions choosing language English as it was mentioned, that there might not be enough people for a German group. On one excursion we ended up being the only 'English' booking couple (we are Germans) together with French people. It was a very nice day. :)

Archived