Carnival cruise with a special needs kiddo?

IPlayWithString

Ok..so this is our first cruise ever and we're going to have our special needs 9 year old (ADHD, High functioning Asperger's, mild Apraxia due to hypotonia, OCD and anxiety issues) with us.

I guess what I want..NEED..to know is how they handle kids like him in the children's area on Carnvial (we're on the Fascination). I'm a little nervous about leaving him with them because of his issues because I guess I"m scared they won't know how to deal with him. I'm also nervous that if something happens (a meltdown, etc) they won't be able to get ahold of us quickly since we were told by the Carnival cust svc rep we talked to told us they don't issue beepers/pagers...they would just make an announcement over the intercom.

So..has anyone else ever traveled with a special needs kid on Carnival? How was it?

Following...cruising with 4 year old in October on Fascination with ODD and ADHD as well as feeding tube (won't be hooked up while there). He attends developmental preschool for social skills, but not on the spectrum. Hoping they will be accommodating of his needs for a couple hours in the afternoons.

I was on the Glory last March when my 7yo daughter was having issues with her asthma. When I brought it to the kid's club's attention, the gave me a cellphone to carry when she was there. If she had any breathing problems, they could call me. I'm sure they would do the same for you. :)

I can't help with the special needs aspect but we were just on carnival & they gave all parents of a 2-5 yr old a cell phone & I believe if needed for the older children. I bet they will give you one if you explain it to them.

• 1 month later...

I'm following -- traveling on Triumph at end of July with my 5 & 12 yr old aspies (also ADHD, OCD & anxiety). I've read we can meet with camp supervisor on day 1 to go over needs & kids with disabilities can get a beeper/pager. Also just read to check into autismontheseas.com - very helpful. When is your cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

Ask about their program Autism in the Seas. They had special...I'm not sure if they were meetings or play dates for these families. I know it doesn't answer your immediate question but I saw signs posted for the Autism on the Seas program and it would suggest they may be sensitive to kids on the spectrum. Good luck!

I guess I"m scared they won't know how to deal with him. I'm also nervous that if something happens (a meltdown, etc) they won't be able to get ahold of us quickly since we were told by the Carnival cust svc rep we talked to told us they don't issue beepers/pagers...they would just make an announcement over the intercom.

So..has anyone else ever traveled with a special needs kid on Carnival? How was it?

Unfortunately, you can never trust what a customer service reps tells you - if they had ever been on a cruise themselves, they would know that there are never announcements over the intercom from the kids club. I'm quite certain there's a department at Carnival you can contact before your cruise and they will make a note and ask what arrangements you need - you can find it by looking on their site in the section called something like "cruising with disabilities". To be honest, I don't bother anymore and just talk to the staff the first day - they have special needs kids all the time. Sign up at the kids club as early as you can and they'll often give you a beeper - they want to be able to get ahold of you too if there's a problem, but they do run out of beepers so you want to get there before they start running short. You can also call them from a house phone (all over the ship) every now and again to check in.

All the best,

Mia

On our first cruise last month, we went down to Club Carnival shortly after we arrived onboard ship. My son declared it "too babyish" and we never did register him. He ended up staying with one of us the entire time and charmed the entertainment staff with his chicken-in-the-electric-chair style of dancing.:D The female dancers thought he was the cutest thing EVAR..it was kind of adorable.:D:cool:

Now that we're going again in August and know what to expect (sort of), he says he MIGHT want to give it a second chance. So we'll see what happens.

Archived