My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

CruiseDirections

Many original posters wrote TP should not be flushed on this ship. I have been on many older ships and never encountered this. Please tell me this is not true!

Thank you

It is true, but you find that you quickly develop a system. It is not as nasty as it sounds. We left our tp in the paper bags provided in the bathroom with the top folded, then put them in the waste bin with the lid. A magic fairy would remove them as we were off at breakfast and again in the evening.

You have to get used to putting paper in bins because this is the Cuban way. Their plumbing is old and parts for repair are hard to come by. As you enter the washroom of an elegant restaurant, an old woman will often rush up to you, point, and yell, "Papel en el cesto" -paper in the basket.

Many a time I heard angry attendants mutter about the tourists who put paper in the toilets and caused severe problems. Some of the comments were really funny because they didn't know I could understand them. :D

CruiseDirections

Many original posters wrote TP should not be flushed on this ship. I have been on many older ships and never encountered this. Please tell me this is not true!

Thank you

True! It is the only ship that we have ever sailed upon that requests this. Such waste is deposited into a hermetically sealed stainless steel canister (like those found in medical facilities) and are frequently emptied. Not sure as to why, perhaps the ship's inadequate system or maybe it has something to do with the ecosystem about the island.

burm and ONT-CA

Thank you for your responses. I certainly can understand Cuba having an antiquated sanitation system but am puzzled why a Ship once owned by NCL, a Ship that has undergone many refurbishments/upgrades employs this system.

Regardless, I am counting the days to embarkation. Visiting Cuba will be a dream come true!

CruiseDirections

Thank you

It is true, I was following the rules but someone upstream from us must have plugged it up and one night our toilet would not flush. I worked the next morning. The vacuum system does not seem as powerful as on the newer ships and the plumbing has lots of twists and turns complicating the process.

147181616_CelestyalCrystalPlumbing001.jpg.3fb518b006236d1f4b2fa0a00b63b0d1.jpg

burm and ONT-CA

Thank you for your responses. I certainly can understand Cuba having an antiquated sanitation system but am puzzled why a Ship once owned by NCL, a Ship that has undergone many refurbishments/upgrades employs this system.

Regardless, I am counting the days to embarkation. Visiting Cuba will be a dream come true!

We have posed this very question many times but have not as yet received a definitive answer. It certainly is not a topic for dinner conversations. However, every ship has holding tanks for waste which, after mandatory and suitable treatment, must be jettisoned into the ocean at some point. I think that the time it takes the Crystal to properly treat the sewage to legally jettison their tanks exceeds their capacity to hold. So the best way to speed up this treatment is to eliminate paper products. We have to take into consideration two points. One, the Crystal was initially designed to be no more than a ferry. And two, the ship continuously sails in the eco-sensitive waters surrounding the island. Ergo, less paper, faster treatment, earlier and safer jettisoning. At least that's what our celtic tank pumper operator told us...:D

I just received a lovely Christmas letter from one of my Havana landladies. I wish I could be joining you all on the ship again this winter and spending much more time in Cuba.

Oh, well. To paraphrase 2 someone elses, don't cry for me, I'll be in Argentina. :)

I just received a lovely Christmas letter from one of my Havana landladies. I wish I could be joining you all on the ship again this winter and spending much more time in Cuba.

Oh, well. To paraphrase 2 someone elses, don't cry for me, I'll be in Argentina. :)

We'll miss your input, burm. Buen viaje

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/ONT-CA/rose_zpszwetpa3z.jpg

I'm not sure what rooms you guys were in but I was in 6202 and there were no signs about getting rid of toilet paper. In fact we had, what appeared to be a new bathroom, and definitely a new toilet. It was a JR. SUITE and my wife and daughter traveled with me. No one complained about toilet issues. As stated before the only complaint about the room was Air Conditioning issues. Sometimes it was good, sometimes not. This was true of the whole ship except for a few of the public rooms...but not the Dining Rooms. WARM too often.

I appreciate one posters assessment of the P2P program, but let's be honest. How many of us went or are going on this cruise to see a few Cuban dancers dancing with cruise passengers at some cultural center ( while missing important tourist attractions ) or to watch poor quality videos of the Cuban Revolution shown on a blurred screen with a terrible historian ??? And listen to his lecture on Cuban cigars and when asked how much they cost, he didn't know. This cruise is a means to an end...a very affordable way to get to Cuba !! ( for Americans ) and easily accessed from Montego Bay without the hassle of getting to Miami or Tampa and then taking an expensive charter to Havana. . Take all of this into consideration and it's a great trip.

I'm not sure what rooms you guys were in but I was in 6202 and there were no signs about getting rid of toilet paper. In fact we had, what appeared to be a new bathroom, and definitely a new toilet. It was a JR. SUITE and my wife and daughter traveled with me. No one complained about toilet issues. As stated before the only complaint about the room was Air Conditioning issues. Sometimes it was good, sometimes not. This was true of the whole ship except for a few of the public rooms...but not the Dining Rooms. WARM too often.

I appreciate one posters assessment of the P2P program, but let's be honest. How many of us went or are going on this cruise to see a few Cuban dancers dancing with cruise passengers at some cultural center ( while missing important tourist attractions ) or to watch poor quality videos of the Cuban Revolution shown on a blurred screen with a terrible historian ??? And listen to his lecture on Cuban cigars and when asked how much they cost, he didn't know. This cruise is a means to an end...a very affordable way to get to Cuba !! ( for Americans ) and easily accessed from Montego Bay without the hassle of getting to Miami or Tampa and then taking an expensive charter to Havana. . Take all of this into consideration and it's a great trip.

Sound advice BruceE. You hit the nail on the noggin... For three generations Canadians have been going to visit Cuba without all this falderal. Glad you enjoyed the trip.

To our recollection there was a notification daily in the "DailyNews" about the Vacuum system and toilet paper, etc., plus, their reasoning was presented during Muster Drill. If this is no longer the case I'm not sure what the current status is. Nice to hear of the refurbishing and upgrades to the washrooms. Thanks

CUBA CRUISE ABOARD THE CELESTYAL CRYSTAL

Overall, this first Cuba Cruise of the season was amazing, despite some ripples along the way. First, set reasonable expectations—this is not a fun in the sun, lounge around the pool type of trip. What it is, is an affordable way to easily get a taste of Cuba.

PRE-CRUISE

Before the cruise, we stayed three nights at the Holiday Inn Resort in Montego Bay. This was 10 minutes to the airport, had a lovely beach areas including a little island you could walk to. Food and drinks were just so-so, but this is one of the cheapest all-inclusive resorts we found. What we did love, were the jerk chicken hut on the beach, quiet places to sit by the water away from the main pool, so Jamaican dishes on the buffet, and the view from our ocean-view room. Rented a car and drove to Falmouth for a quick visit, but opted on to drive further because Jamaicans really do drive crazy, and on the left.

EMBARKATION

Cruise terminal is about 10 minutes from the airport. We picked up a taxi at the rental car place to the pier for $20 total. We needed to pay a Jamaican departure tax since we’d been there for more than 24 hours (I think $27 per person). Afterwards, getting on was as simple as filling out the standard health form and picking up our key cards. You resister a credit card on board at the reception desk. We arrived at the cruise terminal around 11:30 a.m. and were on within about 15 minutes.

THE SHIP

The ship is older but does not feel dated. It was kept spotlessly clean. Our cabin (#5115) was tiny, but the beds were comfortable. You do need to dispose of toilet paper in the trash and sometimes, you need to flush twice for everything to go down. Being on deck five was handy and our favorite bar was in the very back of deck five, outside and with a hot tub.

Compared with modern mega-ships, we enjoyed that we could be anywhere on the ship within a couple minutes. The ship did lack the stabilizers of more modern ships and we felt a pretty constant rocking. We never had trouble finding seats in the shows, at dinner, in the buffet or in the bars.

THE PASSENGERS

We spent far more time getting to know our fellow passengers than we usually do. What a fascinating group. We met people from all over the U.S., Asia, and Europe and learned about everyone’s travel adventures and places they have lived. As a group, passengers were more traveled and more likely to have lived abroad than on any other cruise we’ve taken.

DINING

While I like that the menu included Cuban and Jamaican dishes, the food did not seem terribly authentic. For instance, the jerk chicken had almost no spice! As noted by others, dinner was incredibly slow; we really didn’t mind as the people we were seated with were usually very interesting. We are not normally big drinkers on cruises, but we did enjoy working our way down the list of Cuban cocktails and coffee drinks. I would recommend for dinner, picking up a drink at the bar and bringing it with you. Breakfast and lunch at the buffet were both fine. They did have wonderful baklava at the buffet the first day, but unfortunately we never saw it again.

ENTERTAINMENT AND ACTIVITIES

The entertainers changed midway through the cruise with those who did the transatlantic crossing changing with Cuban performers when we got to Havana. We enjoyed the Cuban performers and Cuban themed shows, while other shows were just average. The lectures as part of the P2P program weren’t outstanding but did add to our knowledge of Cuba and appreciation of the trip. Those in the P2P program should note, the activities guide delivered to your cabin does not list all the activities. If you want to see non-P2P activities, you’ll need to pick up the complete copy at the reception desk.

ITINERARY

We loved all of the Cuban ports. Unfortunately, weather delays dramatically cut our time in Maria la Gorda and Cienfuegos. Also, gathering for excursions took place on the ship rather than at the pier and then the buses didn’t seem to leave until the last person was off. We don’t normally do ship tours and this reminded us why! We wasted a ridiculous amount of time waiting for the tours to begin, and might have been happier just hiring taxis for private tours.

MONTEGO BAY – Nice beaches but not a highlight of the trip.

SANTIAGO DE CUBA – Our first introduction to this wonderful country! Right outside the gates of the port, we saw every imaginable form of transportation from horse carriage taxis, motorcycle taxis, bicycle taxis, to old car taxis. Tour included a visit to the Revolutionary War museum, Revolutionary Square, African Cultural Center with a dance performance that I ditched so I could walk around, and original Bacardi rum factory. After the tour, we did have some time to walk around on our own. The residents were very friendly and interested to learn about the U.S. and tell about cuba. Kids will come up to you asking for pens, and women approached looking for shampoo, soap and lotion. Consider asking kids to sing a song in exchange for pens. Overall, we found shopping more interesting here, and in Cienfuegos, than in Havana were items seemed more mass produced.

HAVANA – As part of P2P, we discovered that the included tours had been swapped for different ones. The cruiseline canceled our Maria la Gorda tour and instead, we had a morning walking tour, afternoon bus tour, and second day museum visit. Since we stayed overnight, we did have plenty of time to wander on our own. The morning walking tour included a couple of squares in the historic area and a visit to a graphics studio. I found the afternoon tour less valuable because it was just on the bus, except for a stop at a crafts market. Places visited could be easily reached walking or by private taxi instead.

That night, I joined John from the P2P program and others, for a taxi ride to see Opera de la Calle. Really talented singers and dancers doing a mix of Cuban songs and more know songs. Admission was a bargain at $30.

The second morning in Havana we were free to wander and have lunch in the city. We walked out to the produce market hear the capital building. In the afternoon, the trip included a bus tour to the wonderful Museum of Fine Arts. We were also given the option to go to the Museum of the Revolution instead. For those wanting to see both, this is a reasonable walk or an easy taxi ride from the port.

MARIA LA GORDA – Our excursion to Cabo de San Antonio was canceled by the cruiseline because we were P2P, so be rebooked the tour ($63 per person). We arrived quite late to port due to weather, so a trip through the park that should have taken 5 hours with stops was cut to about 3 hours. Still, the scenery along the coast was stunning, with blue water, limestone coated shells and rock on one side, and jungle on the other. At the end was a private beach. If we’d had more time there, I did notice a hiking trail across from the beach.

CIENFUEGOS

Cienfuegos seem wealthier and more cosmopolitan that the other ports. There is a pedestrian promenade that had lots of shopping options. Unfortunately, weather cut the length of our visit here, and this was the worst guide of the trip. Our guide did not speak great English and said that this was the first tour she led. The City however was stunning, magnificent theatre, waterfront walkway, restaurants along the water, artist studios, etc. We definitely would have liked more time since we didn’t get any time to walk around on our own. Many people left the tour early on.

DISEMBARKATION

Getting off the ship was a disaster. We arrived back in Montego Bay late, again due to rough seas. They then let the Montego Bay tours off ahead of those with planes to catch! They unloaded luggage through the same exit as passengers, further jamming things up. To make matters worse, they gave most people the wrong Jamaican customs form, so people had to redo the paperwork in the terminal. At least getting a taxi was no problem man, with a shared van costing $10 per person.

Attached are some of the daily programs, including a couple of the non-P2P versions.

Thanks for a great informative review of your cruise to Cuba. And attaching the daily publications was most appreciated by we who have been aboard before. We can now see what changes have occurred. Would you be able to tell us if "Danny" was the Cruise Director and if "Carlos" was the name of the maitre d' ? Thanks again for your most practical input.

Thanks for a great informative review of your cruise to Cuba. And attaching the daily publications was most appreciated by we who have been aboard before. We can now see what changes have occurred. Would you be able to tell us if "Danny" was the Cruise Director and if "Carlos" was the name of the maitre d' ? Thanks again for your most practical input.

Yes, Danny was cruise director. Not sure of the maitre d's name.

Would anyone know if old American car parts (55 Chevy specifically) would be welcome by Cuban car owners? We have one (a 55 Chevy) and lots of spare parts that we'd be happy to bring along. The parts, not the car! Anything specific that someone may know would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUBA CRUISE ABOARD THE CELESTYAL CRYSTAL...

MARIA LA GORDA – Our excursion to Cabo de San Antonio was canceled by the cruiseline because we were P2P, so be rebooked the tour ($63 per person). We arrived quite late to port due to weather, so a trip through the park that should have taken 5 hours with stops was cut to about 3 hours. Still, the scenery along the coast was stunning, with blue water, limestone coated shells and rock on one side, and jungle on the other. At the end was a private beach. If we’d had more time there, I did notice a hiking trail across from the beach...

Don't forget our friend Google when looking about Cuba. Here is a shot of the beach area at Maria le Gorda showing the trails and their limitations. You do not want to get lost in that jungle.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/ONT-CA/Maria%20la%20Gorda_zpsmeqi1qr3.jpg

Would anyone know if old American car parts (55 Chevy specifically) would be welcome by Cuban car owners? We have one (a 55 Chevy) and lots of spare parts that we'd be happy to bring along. The parts, not the car! Anything specific that someone may know would be helpful.

Earthbound Expeditions has a web page about its now-past October trip to Cuba with a focus on classic American cars. In the write up about the trip, two car groups are mentioned: A lo Cubano, a classic car club, and Cuban Federation of Automobilism.

Here's a link to the first group: http://www.alocubano.org/index.php/en This seems like a good place to begin your search.

I have no idea if there are any limits to what US citizens can bring into Cuba! All I know is that on our charter flight (American Airlines was the actual carrier) the Cuban people returning for visits with family were packing awesome quantities of luggage, typically wrapped in shrink wrap.

Here's the link to the Earthbound Expeditions trip:

http://www.earthboundexpeditions.com/october-2015-classic-cars-of-cuba-with-brenda-priddy/

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Having looked under the hood of a few of the Cubanized automobiles I can tell you that ANYTHING in the way of car parts is revered. I often thought while looking over the shoulder of a driver reinventing his wheels, I could have brought him one of those The problem is the prohibitive weight in your luggage. But should you succeed in bringing parts, any parts, I would speak to one of the Cuban waiters aboard the ship who can advise you of the what, where and how to deal with them.

PS You say a 55 Chevy but I have been a passenger in a Chevy that the driver said contained a Chrysler transmission and a Ford differential. They are artists when it comes to blending car parts.

And here's a sec ion of Havana Today dealing with this subject;

http://www.lahabana.com/Vintage/article_harley.php?id=Detroit's-finest-still-rolling

Edited by ONT-CA

Attached are some of the daily programs, including a couple of the non-P2P versions.

Thank you so much for the great information! We are on the Jan 29th sailing and are anxiously awaiting our Cuba experience.

Having looked under the hood of a few of the Cubanized automobiles I can tell you that ANYTHING in the way of car parts is revered.

Ron's post was bang on. I am sure that anything you could manage to get there would be greatly appreciated. Flag down a 55 Chevy taxi first time you need a lift in Havana (you won't have trouble finding one) and the driver will be your friend for life if you give him parts as a tip.

In Santiago we bought a beautifully carved wooden Holden as a gift for my DB, with moving parts for engine hood, trunk, and doors. Once we got it home, we realized that the carving was 100% authentic - one of the doors didn't work quite right. :D My first thought when I read your post was, "Take a door handle!" LOL

Yes, Danny was cruise director. Not sure of the maitre d's name.

World Juggler,

Would you happen to know name of ship's Captain and his/her Country?

On a subject that has been covered with many suggestions, I am curious how you handled "money" situation. Currently, our plans are to convert US dollars to Canadian (plus few Euros for casino) at our local bank (no transaction fee).

Thank you

World Juggler,

Would you happen to know name of ship's Captain and his/her Country?

On a subject that has been covered with many suggestions, I am curious how you handled "money" situation. Currently, our plans are to convert US dollars to Canadian (plus few Euros for casino) at our local bank (no transaction fee).

Thank you

Thanks to WorldJuggler and his posting of the programs, the captain's name is Captain Yiannis Fountoukas who is new to this itinerary. No nationality is given but I think we can safely say he is Greek.

I was hoping someone could have told us if the money exchange continues to charge the 10% premium on US currency. If not, it would be pointless converting to Canadian, especially with its current decent.

Anyone?