Ports and naps?

MKinBelize

Hey ya'll!

First, I want to say thank you to everyone. I've been lurking here since we booked our cruise last month and you've been super helpful.

I have a question about port days and putting your pre-school age children down for a nap. DH and I have already decided that we will take turns staying in the room with DD (3yo) while she sleeps, but I was wondering what others do on port days. DH is in a WC, so we most likely won't be doing any excursions, probably just the beach, maybe a little shopping, etc. Is it feasible to come back to the ship for a 2 hour nap?

We're cruising RCCL's Freedom going to Grand Cayman, Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, and Cozumel June 23rd.

Hey ya'll!

First, I want to say thank you to everyone. I've been lurking here since we booked our cruise last month and you've been super helpful.

I have a question about port days and putting your pre-school age children down for a nap. DH and I have already decided that we will take turns staying in the room with DD (3yo) while she sleeps, but I was wondering what others do on port days. DH is in a WC, so we most likely won't be doing any excursions, probably just the beach, maybe a little shopping, etc. Is it feasible to come back to the ship for a 2 hour nap?

We're cruising RCCL's Freedom going to Grand Cayman, Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, and Cozumel June 23rd.

Look at it this way.

Grand Cayman - Tender port/Beach Day, a bit more difficult to get back onto. Plan your day to return mid afternoon to take a nap.

Labadee - Beach day. You can come and go as you please. Just a walk down the pier.

I haven't been to Falmouth, but you can plan your day around what time you're in port vs. nap time.

Cozumel - My favorite port, but a beach day none-the-less. I guess you can follow the same idea as Falmouth.

For our trip on Ex next month, we're planning to be back on board so our DD (18 months) can take a 1-2 hr nap before dinner. This will also give my wife and I time to get cleaned up and ready ourselves without having to rush.

My 3 yr old stopped taking naps at 2.5 yrs so we didn't have to worry about her. My 2 yr old still naps & he would have a meltdown by dinner if he didn't get at least a little nap everyday (my daughter, even when she took naps was very easy and could skip naps just fine if we were out or sleep in the stroller). A couple of the port days we just pushed nap time back by about an hour or 2. They were having so much fun that he didn't care. Good luck! And I'm super jealous that your preschooler still naps!

I also always did naps for two hours before dinner - allowed me time to rest/get dressed and resulted in fantastic dinner behavior and a nice evening.

When in port we'd either plan to be back on board by 4:00 or head back once either of my girls started getting crabby :).

Best,

Mia

Usually when we travel we're in a completely different time zone, including lots of trips when my girls were toddlers/pre-school age. They get back to their schedules within a few days of our return. The most important thing for us was that they don't skip naps while on vacation - which usually wasn't an issue. They'd say they're not tired, but once the cabin was dark and quiet, they'd be OUT and I could turn a light back on and get ready.

Best,

Mia

Archived