Any experience with behind the scenes tours?

We've done it twice on 2 different classes of ships. I thought it was very interesting, but it's a long tour with lots of walking and stairs/ladders, standing, no breaks. On the shorter cruises/smaller ships it's $55 I think and on the longer/larger ships it's $95, but lasts 3-4 hours depending on the ship. Also, I don't think they allow kids that young on the tour, there is an age limit, 12 or something like that. Also, no cameras, closed toed shoes required, and security 'wands' you for any cameras or phones. You do get a bunch of stuff also.

DD and I did it. She was 15 and opted out part way through the tour--bored stiff. As the previous poster said lots of walking, stairs, and standing. It's very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I believe children have to be 8 years old--there was a 9-year-old (IIRC) on our tour. He seemed to enjoy it. I think it would be pretty boring for a six-year-old.

If you want to do this be sure to get onboard fast and get to excursion desk as soon as it opens. Very limited number of these sold and I hear they sell out fast.

Me and my son did it a couple of years ago on the Magic and loved it. I always wondered what went on below the water line.

I did the tour on the Paradise, cost on the smaller ships is $55 and on the larger I believe t is $95 as it said above. It is a lot of walking and climbing up and down stairs. A lot of it was n the crew areas so the stairs are pretty steep. I enjoyed it, I also like learning how things work and found it fascinating. You will get a hat, lanyard, picture, and snack in your cabin later in the day (may get more on larger ships not sure). We visited the galley, engine control room (can not go into the actual engine room way to hot and unsafe for pax), I95, back stage, crew mess, officer mess, crew lounge, bow deck (crew only) and bridge (may have missed a few places it has been a few months). For $55 it was well worth it, much better than any excursion on land could have been for about the same price.

So... no cameras or cameras allowed? I mean obviously some of you brought cameras :cool:

In one of the photos there's a woman holding a camera standing next to the crew member leading the tour. Obviously photos were allowed at the time or this was the galley tour as mentioned. When my husband went in December photos were not allowed.

My husband did the tour on the Breeze in December and enjoyed it. He only complained that the woman leading the tour did not know basic facts about the ship - such as size!! When she was asked a question she didn't know the answer to she said they'd find out at the end of the tour, which of course they never did. :eek: Hope she's since been replaced! :)

So... no cameras or cameras allowed? I mean obviously some of you brought cameras :cool:

I believe CruizinMan is misrepresenting the photos posted.

More than likely they are from the free Galley tour offered occasionally and NOT from the Behind the Fun tour. Note that all the photos appear to be from kitchen areas.

We done the behind the scenes tour on a recent cruise.

2 groups and the second group got much more info than the first.

We got a lanyard and a hat, sampled strawberries in the galley and received a small plate of them from the chef in the galley, a group pic with the Captian.

These may be photos from the free galley tour. I've done the Behind the Scenes Tour on 2 different ships and they "Wand" you with metal detector before the tour so you cannot sneak a camera (or weapons) in...

My husband did the tour on the Breeze in December and enjoyed it. He only complained that the woman leading the tour did not know basic facts about the ship - such as size!! When she was asked a question she didn't know the answer to she said they'd find out at the end of the tour, which of course they never did. :eek: Hope she's since been replaced! :)

That's a shame. Our guide was very knowledgeable and we were able to ask questions of the captian and others on the bridge. I hope your husband said something to the Shore Excursions staff. Whomever leads that tour should be very knowledgeable.

As far as cameras, the comments are correct that they wand you before the start of the tour. I can't be wanded and they weren't sure what to do about that. I can't imagine I'm the first person who can't be wanded, but it through them for a loop. Security said they'd bring a female guard to pat me down, but they never did. I find that typical of Carnival Security though. I once took a knife on board at the request of the ship's head of Security. The knife had a blade of about 10 to 12" and it wasn't caught by Security, so I don't have a lot of faith that they do everything they can to keep us safe. :(

Soap carved into a swan, sling pack, baseball cap, behind the fun bracelet, champagne. picture of the group with the captain, chocolate-covered strawberries...

That's the only gift I really enjoyed receiving other than the chocolate-covered strawberries.

My SO and I got 2 different swans and I have them on a shelf in my 1/2 bath.

I did the tour on the Paradise, cost on the smaller ships is $55 and on the larger I believe t is $95 as it said above. It is a lot of walking and climbing up and down stairs. A lot of it was n the crew areas so the stairs are pretty steep. I enjoyed it, I also like learning how things work and found it fascinating. You will get a hat, lanyard, picture, and snack in your cabin later in the day (may get more on larger ships not sure). We visited the galley, engine control room (can not go into the actual engine room way to hot and unsafe for pax), I95, back stage, crew mess, officer mess, crew lounge, bow deck (crew only) and bridge (may have missed a few places it has been a few months). For $55 it was well worth it, much better than any excursion on land could have been for about the same price.

I have some mobility issues - can't stand still for long period of time. I had a "seat cane" with me and had no problem at all. My SO carried my cane up the stairs for me so that I could hold unto the railing.

I did the tour in April on the Breeze our tour guide name was Sonia and she was great... I have a ankle support on that I have to wear there was a lot of stairs and she kept asking was we okay.....and we used the elevator about 3 or 4 times but we only had about 8 in our group....she also brought our group pictures to me at dinner that night

Did the tour on the Pride in 2011. Was great and I agree well worth the price. We were not allowed cameras. Received photo of group in the galley and on the bridge. Also individual photo with the Captian. Snack in crew area and at the Steakhouse when done, other gifts received. Lots of walking but did not notice as so much to learn and see.

Archived