Valldemossa vs Train to Soller

hcviana

I posted a similar question a couple days ago on another thread but had no luck getting a response. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Our ship will stop in Palma de Mallorca between 9 AM and 8 PM and we will definitely visit Soller/Port de Soller.

As much as we would like to take the Train to Soller and also visit Valldemossa, it seems like the prudent thing to do is pick either the train or Valldemossa, in order to avoid the risk of not making it back to the ship on time.

Question: If you had to pick one, which one would you choose??

We did both the Train to Soller and visited Valldemossa about 2 weeks ago. We were on a ship tour, and only had a 1/2 day in port. You have a lot more time! :)

The train to Soller is cute (and bumpy) and covers some lovely countryside. The trip is....30 - 40 minutes long or so. The town of Soller is nice, but in my opinion, if it's either/or - go to Valldemossa. It's such a beautiful place! The monastery & church are well worth a visit, and there are some wonderful streets to wander about -- great shopping (for pearls!) and you get to enjoy the scenery on the way there and back. (And how can you not love a place with a little bakery called "Sweet & Happy" :D) Valldemossa is completely charming!

That's my two cents worth.

Have a wonderful trip!

~Barb

Barb

Your "two cents worth" are much appreciated.

I am curious about a few details on your Mallorca adventure.

Assuming you took the Soller train at around 9 or 10 AM, explored Soller/Port de Soller for a couple hours, and headed to Valldemossa in the early afternoon, did you take the last bus back to Palma?? At what time??? Were there any other means to get back to Palma (other than the Bus)?

Thank you.

Humberto

Humberto ~

We took a ship's tour. We actually docked at 1 p.m. and left the ship at 2. We had a little tour of Palma, and drove up to Valldemosa first. We toured the monastery (which looks unassuming from the outside) and church. It's very old and quite interesting. They have a perfectly preserved pharmacy and an an amazing old, orginal library there. (The nuns also sell some beautiful unusual items right there in the library, very reasonable prices!) Then we had free time to wander about town.

We then took the bus to Soller, walked all the way through town (via little back streets) to the train. I'll warn you that the train is very crowded with tourists, but the trains run frequently. The scenery from the train is

magnificent!!! (Try to sit on the left-hand side going up to Soller, or right hand side coming back to port.) On our trip, we also went to the Amalfi coast in Italy (Positano & Sorrento) and this was every bit as beautiful. If you have the time, do try to get out into those mountains.

The whole loop (train--Soller--Valldemosa) only takes perhaps less than 2 hours travel time. (It took only 1 hr. from the town of Soller, via the train and bus, right back onto the ship.) Planning ahead, I'm sure you'll have enough time to do & see what is most important to you. :)

~Barb

Thank you. We will do both places, Valldemossa and Port De Soller. We will however skip the Train to Soller, as the train times and bus frequency out of Valldemossa (Bus 210) make it a bit risky to make it back to the ship while doing this on our own (as opposed to with a private tour where one does not have to worry about transporation back to the ship). We have also decided to use the "cushion" time, once back to Palma to explore the touristy area near the port.

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I will be in Palma on nov. 8 from 10:30 until 10:00 pm. We have been to Palma before but did a ships tour to Drach Caves. I have always wanted to do the train to Soller and Vallersorra, the ship does not have a tour to both. Nothing to Soller. Should we do a private tour or do it ourselves. We are both 70 yrs. and I can't walk long distances. Would you recommend a tour that is not too expensive. This is something on my bucket list that I really want to do. I also want to take the train to Soller, the tram down to the port of Soller and then the express bus back to the port. Thanksfor your suggestions.

• 1 month later...
My DH and I will be in Palma on nov. 8 from 10:30 until 10:00 pm. We have been to Palma before but did a ships tour to Drach Caves. I have always wanted to do the train to Soller and Vallersorra, the ship does not have a tour to both. Nothing to Soller. Should we do a private tour or do it ourselves. We are both 70 yrs. and I can't walk long distances. Would you recommend a tour that is not too expensive. This is something on my bucket list that I really want to do. I also want to take the train to Soller, the tram down to the port of Soller and then the express bus back to the port. Thanksfor your suggestions.

If you go on Tripadvisor and search Mallorca, several tour companies are reviewed. They do tours of Valldemossa and Soller. Half day tours and are reasonable.

• 1 month later...

Hi:

I am 74 y.o. and also cannot walk/stand for extended periods. What have you found out about trips/tours? I hear you can get a taxi Palma to Valldemossa for 50 euros round trip.

Think I would enjoy the views and sitting at a cafe. My cabin mate is younger and fitter than me and can do monastery, etc. if she wishes.

We are on RCL with you. Maybe we could share a taxi. In Naples we have booked a chauffeur driven tour of Amalfi coast. Both have been to Pompei before.

My husband was a proud Aggie, Class of 58.

• 2 weeks later...

annesew - My DH is a proud Aggie class of "65. Glad to hear you are on the same criuse as us. Are you doing the TA as well. Email me at patsyag at sbcglobal dot net and maybe we can plan something for Palma. I have been in touch with a tour operator but it is too expensive for just the two of us.

DH is getting ready for tomorrows BIG game with Alabama. We have season tickets and he is going with son and a friend. I can't walk it anymore. Our reserved parking is at Reed Arena!! Cant't wait to hear from you. Pat

Archived