snorkel equipment in cococay

Morgan309

We are going to be snorkeling in cococay and have a question. When you rent equipment, do you get new snorkels or used snorkels? Do you get to keep the snorkel when finished? If not, how are they cleaned from previous users? Are vests required or included?

Thank you

Morgan

I can answer the vest question, but I have my own equipment so can't help you there. They do require you to wear a vest and since I had my own equipment, had to rent one for $6. Although for the price of $27 for this one time excursion, and any other snorkeling you might pay for on your cruise, you could probably pick up some of your own snorkel gear and then wouldn't have to worry about the cleanliness of it, plus then you would always have it.:)

Morgan - no, the snorkels are used. I have never actually seen a snorkel being cleaned, ever, but that doesn't mean that it's not possible, and look at that pink pig flying by the window... Either take some Purell or buy your own gear. That being said, I have never met anyone that came down with a deadly disease from either a snorkel or scuba mouthpiece.

Vests are 'required' for snorkeling. However, if you are sneaky, you can make it past the snorkel gestapo posted in the shallows.

Gumballz- Yes, the vests are appropriate for those of us, with, well, plenty. Actually, they are not a vest at all, but a contraption that looks like a horse collar, with a little strap that runs around your back.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

The main snorkel site is the sunken airplane. Fish are fed at this site, so there are usually quite a few fish hanging around, and they are quite friendly. It's a bit of a swim out, so take your time. Last time we were there, a floating dock had been installed for a nice resting place. The airplane was fairly clean with little in the way of growth.

I believe that there is supposed to be a sunken boat as well, but never got over that way.

There is a small seagrass bed on the way out of the beach area, and that's the best part to me. However, I'm a marine biologist by trade, so I'm looking for the teeny tiny invertebrates, snails, and strange inhabitants.

We dove at Cococay last spring, and a link to the pix is below (Sovereign of the seas 05/10/04).

I also snorkeled out to the seagrass bed when we were there last September, and it was a bit torn up from Hurricanes Charley & Frances.

My opinion would be to go ahead and snorkel on your own, if you feel confident with your skills.

If you want to buy your own snorkel gear, IMO go to a dive shop and get something that fits properly. (Put the mask on your face and breathe in/press in SLIGHTLY. If it sticks to your face, it fits). If you already have your own gear and need a snorkel vest, there are many recommendations on this board for on-line retailers as well.

Have a great trip!

Wendy

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

• 2 years later...

my DH and I already have our own snorkel equipment: mask, snorkels and fins. Is the charge still $6 for the vest? Do they restrict how far you can go out if you don't purchase the excursion? Not that we plan on going beyond the snorkelling area, just wondering if there are places reserved for those who rented their equipment. I am a slight germaphobe, but mostly I know my own equipment fits me.

You can most definitely bring your own equipment and go wherever you want. :) There are boundries, of course, but you won't be limited if you don't rent their equipment.

You will have to rent a vest in order to snorkel anywhere. I'm not sure what they charge for that now. I wouldn't think the price has gone up much, if any.

Enjoy your trip!

We just came back from a cruise that went to Coco Cay. They do require you to have a vest. We brought our own gear and were stopped a few times to ensure we had a vest. The vest is uninflated and comfortable and you just need to inflate it manually before you go in however much you want. It wasn't expensive, but does add to all those little costs. There was a barrel of what we perceived to be bleach water that cleaned and sanitized the snorkel equipment when it was returned.

Go out towards the middle lifeguard area. In front of and just to the left was the airplane. About halfway there from the beach was the boat - although mostly we just saw the anchor and some pieces. The sea grass made us nervous because it was very shallow at times (rubbing the belly as we snorkelled past) and my DH thought he saw a jellyfish in there.

We did very much enjoy the sights and colors, and found it very much worth doing. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Archived