Sleeping 4 in Gem Obstructed Oceanview

ravencmoon

I found the Handicapped cabins on this deck to be the smallest I have ever encountered. The inside handicapped cabins were much larger. We had to have the room steward remove the table and chairs so we would have someplace to park the scooter. We had to keep the walker in the bathroom as there was no where else to put it. We found the hallways to be noisy every night at around 10pm. The crew were dragging trash, cans and dishes from the restaurants. By around 11pm they were done though. Be prepared to have crew walking past your cabin window. They will not look in but they have to work out there. Also, at night there are bright lights outside your window and we could never get the curtains closed all the way. Good luck!

Edited by Umbarger

On our most recent cruise, even though we had an AC Balcony room, it was still nice to get the WC out of the way, so we folded it up and DH placed in in the shower space, when we weren't using that. BTW: I kept my quad or tripod cane close by...also can walk for short distances assisted...should give you guys more room.

The grab bars are extra sturdy, so is the swing up/out of the way shower chair.

The closet rod is set up to come down to you when seated for ease of hanging stuff...those attached hangers are a bit of a pain otherwise. All light switches on rocker panels and call/panic buttons in bathroom and cabin are again, reachable if need be :)

I was thinking of storing my wheelchair in the shower at night if need be. Nice to know that worked out well. All this information has really put my mind at ease and I can begin to get excited. I feel like I have been waiting an eternity and finally the cruise is right around the corner! :D

I was thinking of storing my wheelchair in the shower at night if need be. Nice to know that worked out well. All this information has really put my mind at ease and I can begin to get excited. I feel like I have been waiting an eternity and finally the cruise is right around the corner! :D

It is unusual for me, as a long-time RN, becoming less and less mobile and all the various hurdles encountered. But, and it's a large one, now there is more time available for travel and I like to share what I can that is helpful for others as many on NCL and CC boards in general have so generously shared of their experiences.

It's all good and with less anxiety over the "What ifs" and "How can we manage?" you can give yourself permission to let the excitement build and have a wonderful cruise experience :D

• 4 years later...
I was just on the Jewel, cabin 8094. Sister ship to the Gem. I was near 8096. Did not peak in this room, but did peak into another handicap obstructed OV room and took some pics of it. It is definitely doable for 4 people

I'm at work right now, but later on tonight, I will upload pics of a regular sideways obstructed OV room and the Handicapped obstructed OV room. have to remember how to do that, so if I get tied up, I promise I will figure it out, so keep checking back to this thread.

We did not have 4 in the room, but it is definitely doable. The room is a sideways version which is definitely much roomier.

For some reason, I can't see any of the pictures that you posted on PhotoBucket. :loudcry: