Video Camera in the Room

gumballz

I love taking photos.....but am a little concerned about taking my nice camera on our cruise. I've decided that I'm just going to bring disposable ones this time......but I was wondering something. If I bring our video camera, is it safe to leave it on the ship one day inside our luggage? We're planning on snorkeling and going parasailing one day, so we don't want to bring any valuables onto shore that day. Thanks!

RCCL provides in room safes on their Voyager class ships. I am sure they have them on most ships. Princess also provides in cabin safes as well. You should have no worries leaving it in the room safe. If it is of a larger size and doesn't fit in the safe, just bring it to the pursers desk and have them hold it for you for the day.

We're only on a short cruise........nothing big I don't think. Majesty of the Seas. I don't think it has a safe in the room, does it?

If not.....the purser will hold it for us for that day? And that's safe? (it's a small digital one)

Thanks

I thought all lines have in-cabin safes. No?

I sometimes take my camcorder. At times, I leave it in the cabin (but not in the safe), and sometimes take it ashore. My other camera goes wherever I go. Most parks have lockers you can rent. That's where I put my things while snorkeling, with the key on a chain around my neck. So far, so good.:)

• 2 weeks later...
If I bring our video camera, is it safe to leave it on the ship one day inside our luggage?

I'm not sure about the Majesty because I've still a few days waiting ahead of me but on the Voyager class ships there are indeed safes in the room. On our first cruise the safe was locked when we first entered the room. We asked the stateroom attendant to open it for us but he couldn't. He called someone else and this person made an appointment with us to meet us in our cabin. This person had a PDA with a device attached to it to open the safe.

It was empty by the way.

I do not recommend this but there have been days that I forgot to put my digital camera in the safe and it was still there when I returned to my cabin.

We took our camcorder on the Elation 6/19 cruise and just left it out in the room. No problem. We also took it into ports and just left covered in our beach bag ( we also did this last year) and had no problems. We love having our own video of the ship that we record. Just a hint, wrap your camcorder in a towel when leaving it in the room to help avoid condensation. We forgot to do this on our recent cruise and had some trouble. It took about a hour to dry it out. When we wrapped in in the towel we had no problem. We also take our digitial camera and we want great pictures!

I personally think anything would be safe in your cabin as long as you keep it out of sight. If it doesn't fit in the safe, putting it in your luggage and then under your bed would be very safe IMO.

Hmmm. Guess I'm just a trusting soul, and maybe lucky. I've always left everything out in plain sight, camcorder, etc. Nothing ever turned up missing. I even have a small stack of one dollar bills in the top drawer of the dresser. Always there. (I DO put my wallet and passport in the safe when I go to dinner, or on deck to sun, as I don't carry a purse around with me on the ship.):rolleyes: It's rare that you hear of any thefts from cabins. Those stewards are honest, hard-working folks - and wouldn't jeopardize their jobs by taking things.

I love taking photos.....but am a little concerned about taking my nice camera on our cruise. I've decided that I'm just going to bring disposable ones this time......but I was wondering something. If I bring our video camera, is it safe to leave it on the ship one day inside our luggage? We're planning on snorkeling and going parasailing one day, so we don't want to bring any valuables onto shore that day. Thanks!

I have about 40 lbs of camera equipment not counting tripod and have never had a problem. I just leave what I am not going to be using in the room.

Lon

I have about 40 lbs of camera equipment not counting tripod and have never had a problem. I just leave what I am not going to be using in the room.

Lon

Archived