Trip to Berlin

Hi going on the spirit in August. Has anyone been on the trip from Warnamunde to Berlin. We have children aged 11 and 13 and not sure whether it would be too long a day. Thankyou.

Yes we have done the Berlin trip. We were glad to have done it because we saw lots of iconic and important historical sights but it was a very long day and a long time on the coach to get there too. Apparently we were told Berlin is 8X the area of Paris and it felt like it too as we spent a lot of our time on the coach even when we got into the city.

We did the historical trip which included the Allied Museum which was very interesting but we felt we didn't really have long enough there. We had short stops at Checkpoint Charlie, a remaining section of the Wall, the Bradenburg Gate, the Templehof Airport and where they executed those who plotted to blow up Hitler but the rest of what we saw e.g the Holocaust Memorial, the Reichstag etc was from the coach. It felt very whistle-stop but then again given the size of the city I don't think there was much alternative if we were to see quite a lot of the famous landmarks.

We enjoyed it and were glad we had done it because now we have seen those places we'd only heard about before but I must say we wouldn't bother going back again - unlike such cities as Rome, Barcelona etc where we always enjoy a wander and never tire of them. Perhaps it's too much of an ask to see much in Berlin in a short time and perhaps it's a great city to spend an few days there but it didn't leave me with a feeling of 'I want to go back'!

I think whether it would be suitable for your children depends to a large extent on how they view long coach journeys. You won't be able to avoid the 2.5/3 hour journey there and back (just check those times but I've a feeling that the travel time was of that order) but some trips may not have quite so long on the coach once there. I think you'd need to look at what each trip offers and see if they would be of interest to your children.

Hi going on the spirit in August. Has anyone been on the trip from Warnamunde to Berlin. We have children aged 11 and 13 and not sure whether it would be too long a day. Thankyou.

we did this trip ,it took about 6 hours round trip ,was it worth it ,if you have not been to berlin before i would say yes it is worth it.

We did the Baltic cruise a few years back and felt that it wasn't the best way to see Berlin because of the long trip. A proper city break would be a much better option.

As a very enjoyable alternative we took the train to Rostock in the morning. The station is only a few minutes walk from where the ship docked and it is just a short ride. Rostock has an impressive medieval and photogenic centre which is well worth a stroll around. In the afternoon we explored Warnemunde itself which turned out to be a very attractive seaside resort. The Alte Strom canal is lined with restaurants and shops (and ice cream places!) and takes you to some lovely beaches.

We had thought it would just be a port but it turned out to be a very pleasant place indeed.

Thank you Rostock sounds a good idea :)

You can get there on the train or by boat up the river (leaves very close to the berth too) but the journey up the river isn't too interesting - but it's another way of doing it if it appeals.

If you get the train, don't come out of the station at Rostock - it's a good mile+ walk to the centre although on a striaght and flat road so easy enough. But if you stay below ground level there is a tram which will take you right into the market square on your train ticket. Pick up for the return is in the square too.

The church is very interesting. I'm not always that bothered looking round churches but this one is very good with lots of interesting information and the very old Astromonical clock.

If you stand in the square looking towards the church on the right hand side there are a run of cafes just to the left of the church. We had a drink at the last one in the row nearest the church and noticed they were doing an excellent set-price buffet if you are looking for somewhere to eat - there was a big A-board outside advertising it. It was very reasonably priced and seemed popular with the locals. Outside it had blue and white striped basket-y beach seats typical of the area - you will see them on the beach in Warnemunde. Another time we'd make for there for something to eat.

And as already mentioned Warnemunde itself is a lovely place. you have plenty of time to do both Rostock and Warnemunde in the day.

Archived