Weddings onboard Queen Mary 2

aleggers

Actually, we've been together for nearly 20 years. In "straight" terms that's about equal to 2 fifty year marriages & 3 complete reincarnations!(I bet I get flamed by someone on this, who has no sense of humor)We did see a samesex "renewal" done in the Board Room a few years back. Of course it's not an official vow.Too bad. I guess that's more revenu that Cunard will lose.

Hi Keith,

When we renewed our vows on the QM2 in 2008 there was no charge and was opened to as many as desired to take part in the ceremony, which was held in the Queens Room. There was quite a good size group. Must have been a lot of happily married couples on that crossing. (unless, of course, some husbands were dragged there...not that I would know a husband that that happened to! :D

best regards,

seasidegal

We were married on board QM2 on 8th March 2013, enroute from Sydney to Bay of Islands. Here is a photo, it was a very special exoerience;

001.jpg

What a lovely photo, did you have any guests with you? We are planing on sailing Southampton - New York - Southampton for my 40th Birthday and getting married on board, just us! Did you marry in the Board Room?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Congratulations! I trust that the Commodore remembered all his lines. In twenty years time (maybe ten) you can celebrate your renewal vows on a Panama Canal-Northwest Passage North American circumnavigation cruise.

Just a caution regarding being married on board ANY ship: please do your research regarding where your marriage license will be issued: QM2 is registered in Bermuda. Therefore, any couple (provied they are heterosexual, same sex marriage being prohibited) married on board will have a Bermuda marriage license. -S

Read the small print along the bottom of the license....

'MARRIAGES PERFORMED ON BOARD THIS VESSEL ARE GOOD FOR THE DURATION OF THE VOYAGE ONLY"

Seriously, I think it matters not at all where any marriage license is issued. A license issued in Bermuda is no less valid than one issued in New York or London or anywhere else.

Stephen

Salacia,

Regarding marriage between same sex partners, you are right, not allowed on board... or ashore. Will that change in time? Perhaps. We have certain members of the local population as well as a large African Methodist chuch group who will fight to keep the laws as they are. They are even fighting gay rights being included in the Bill of Civil Rights. Makes on wonder how people descendants of slaves who fight on and on for their rights are so quick to jump up and shout when the same rights are put forward for other groups. Discrimination is alive and well!

Stephen

• 1 month later...

We were married on Queen Mary 2 on the 26th June 2013 at approx 50N 20W en-route from Southampton to New York. The ceremony was performed by Commodore Rynd and we had two members of the crew as witnesses. We had no guests and the ceremony was in the Atlantic Room on deck 11. And it was just fantastic !!

The whole thing was absolutely perfect for us and everyone made us feel very special on our 'big' day. The Atlantic Room looked lovely with beautiful flowers and it was much more private than the Boardroom. The ceremony was formal but quite relaxed and the Commodore put us at our ease. There was champagne and wedding cake to follow then a fun session all over the ship with the photographers. We then went for lunch in the Princess Grill dining room and were treated like royalty by everyone. That evening we were invited to the Commodore's Cocktail Party and were formally presented as Mr & Mrs.....

We have been together for nearly 12 years and we struggled to think of a venue that would suit us. We have been to so many (sadly) forgettable weddings on land over the years that the option to be married on the beautiful ship was too good to miss. We booked the wedding day with the cruise way back in April 2012 as the 26th June this year had special significance for us.

The costs are not cheap as you would expect but compared to the huge rip-off prices that surround the land based wedding industry we felt we had very good value. At least the costs are clearly laid out and you can opt into or out of as much as you want.

Be aware that the Cunard wedding process is not without its flaws and hopefully with some feedback they will close the small gaps that currently exist. But these are very minor and had absolutely zero impact on our wedding day. If you are a realist and accept that you are dealing with both a land based administrative aspect and an operational ocean going element then you will be fine....!! If you need to be constantly reassured that all is well and cannot cope with very minor irritations or your wedding plans are hugely complex and set in stone.....then just get married ashore somewhere.

There is very little real-life information out there about getting married at sea and it can cause some anxiety. If anyone has any genuine requests for our experience then please PM us. We will be pleased to help clear up at least some of the doubts or difficult questions.

For two people who have had a long-term relationship and who wanted a private, meaningful, romantic, special and very memorable wedding day then the 26th June 2013 could not have been better.

Oh, and the wedding photos sure beat the usual church/registry office/hotel/Las Vegas Wedding Chapel/picturesque lighthouse/Caribbean Island (delete as required) !!!!!

Hope this helps someone out there....

CeeBeeA

Read the small print along the bottom of the license....

'MARRIAGES PERFORMED ON BOARD THIS VESSEL ARE GOOD FOR THE DURATION OF THE VOYAGE ONLY"

Seriously, I think it matters not at all where any marriage license is issued. A license issued in Bermuda is no less valid than one issued in New York or London or anywhere else.

Stephen

Hi Topsham. Yikes! I certainly did not question the validity of a Bermuda Marriage License. Perhaps doesn't matter where a marriage license was issued, unless (God forbid) separation, divorce or support/child custody becomes an issue. Then the laws of the country (or state) that issued the marriage license apply. -S.

We were married on Queen Mary 2 on the 26th June 2013 at approx 50N 20W en-route from Southampton to New York. The ceremony was performed by Commodore Rynd and we had two members of the crew as witnesses. We had no guests and the ceremony was in the Atlantic Room on deck 11. And it was just fantastic !!

The whole thing was absolutely perfect for us and everyone made us feel very special on our 'big' day. The Atlantic Room looked lovely with beautiful flowers and it was much more private than the Boardroom. The ceremony was formal but quite relaxed and the Commodore put us at our ease. There was champagne and wedding cake to follow then a fun session all over the ship with the photographers. We then went for lunch in the Princess Grill dining room and were treated like royalty by everyone. That evening we were invited to the Commodore's Cocktail Party and were formally presented as Mr & Mrs.....

We have been together for nearly 12 years and we struggled to think of a venue that would suit us. We have been to so many (sadly) forgettable weddings on land over the years that the option to be married on the beautiful ship was too good to miss. We booked the wedding day with the cruise way back in April 2012 as the 26th June this year had special significance for us.

The costs are not cheap as you would expect but compared to the huge rip-off prices that surround the land based wedding industry we felt we had very good value. At least the costs are clearly laid out and you can opt into or out of as much as you want.

Be aware that the Cunard wedding process is not without its flaws and hopefully with some feedback they will close the small gaps that currently exist. But these are very minor and had absolutely zero impact on our wedding day. If you are a realist and accept that you are dealing with both a land based administrative aspect and an operational ocean going element then you will be fine....!! If you need to be constantly reassured that all is well and cannot cope with very minor irritations or your wedding plans are hugely complex and set in stone.....then just get married ashore somewhere.

There is very little real-life information out there about getting married at sea and it can cause some anxiety. If anyone has any genuine requests for our experience then please PM us. We will be pleased to help clear up at least some of the doubts or difficult questions.

For two people who have had a long-term relationship and who wanted a private, meaningful, romantic, special and very memorable wedding day then the 26th June 2013 could not have been better.

Oh, and the wedding photos sure beat the usual church/registry office/hotel/Las Vegas Wedding Chapel/picturesque lighthouse/Caribbean Island (delete as required) !!!!!

Hope this helps someone out there....

CeeBeeA

CeeBeeA - it sounds like you had a fantastic trip, would love to discuss more we have booked ours onboard, unable to find the link to PM you.

Happy to make contact to share our experience but cannot find out how to send a PM on this forum either !! On every other type of forum I've used it's really straightforward and when I wrote my post I assumed Cruise Critic was like all the others. Sorry but this was my first time posting here.

Anyone else know how to send personal messages to each other or am I missing something really obvious ?

Thanks

CeeBeeA

Hi ALeggers, I've now checked and we cannot send a PM on this forum. Not sure why but hey, that's the rules.

You can reach me on ceebeea7 at gmail dot com for any further info on our Cunard Wedding experience.

CeeBeeA

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Archived