Royal Caribbean vs NCL for families

kitkat343

The Norwegian Breakaway has started sailing from NY, and the Royal Caribbean Quantum will be traveling from Bayonne, which means we will have two new ships leaving from ports very close to us. We have never sailed either line, so we would appreciate any assistance from experienced cruisers. Our son will be 3 at the time of sailing, and he really loved the kids club and the food on the Coral Princess. We also liked the food and mini suite cabins on Princess, so if anyone could compare that to Royal Caribbean or NCL that would be really helpful. Thanks so much.

The Norwegian Breakaway has started sailing from NY, and the Royal Caribbean Quantum will be traveling from Bayonne, which means we will have two new ships leaving from ports very close to us. We have never sailed either line, so we would appreciate any assistance from experienced cruisers. Our son will be 3 at the time of sailing, and he really loved the kids club and the food on the Coral Princess. We also liked the food and mini suite cabins on Princess, so if anyone could compare that to Royal Caribbean or NCL that would be really helpful. Thanks so much.

Both lines are known for being family friendly. I haven't been on NCL, so I will leave that for someone else to compare. Quantum will tend to have more families, and thus a more energetic vibe than Coral Princess. It will have a waterpark (H2O zone), so that should be lots of fun for your little one.

The kids club on Quantum (and likely NCL) will have more kids than Princess. They tend to do more active activities on RCCL than Princess as well. RCCL's kids club will have nights where you can have the counsellors take the children to dinner. You can also sign up for them to give them lunch as well.

The food is probably better on Princess, but since Quantum is a new ship, it should have a variety of places to eat.

Princess' minisuites are about 323 sq ft including balcony. Quantum's D1 balcony cabins will be 198 sq ft plus a 55-119 sq ft balcony. The family junior suites, which have an extra half bath!, will be 300 sq ft plus a 80 sq ft balcony. I like the looks of the F oceanview cabins as well, at 300 sq ft, no balcony. There are a variety of other cabins.

Quantum of the Seas bookings just opened Tuesday. Even though they said bookings would open to non C&A members on June 4, well I wouldn't say they "lied", but ahem, you can book now. Prices have already gone up.

We are booked aboard the Quantum for April of '15.

After this last cruise aboard the Epic... I kinda prefer the RCI experience a little more. Had a good time aboard the Epic, though.

Archived