Lodging help -Anchorage, Palmer, or Wasilla?

Pb3js

We are ending our trip by renting a car in Fairbanks and driving to Anchorage (all day Wednesday) for our flight home (Thursday 10PM). After looking at hotels in Anchorage we were thinking we might stay in Palmer or Wasilla. We don't mind driving an hour the next morning if we decide to explore the Anchorage area- it's all part of the journey- and would not mind saving a little money at this point in the trip (have already booked many extravagances). Any suggestions for lodging would be appreciated.

Staying in the Palmer/Wasilla area (called "The Valley" for short) is a great idea...gives you time for a more leisurely drive on Wednesday, and there are many great things to do here, depending upon what you will already have done and your interests. As far as driving goes, don't head to Anchorage too early on Thursday am...I try not to leave for Anchorage much before 9 am...I don't like being in the commuter traffic!

There aren't many hotels here, and most of them are in the Wasilla area. There are many wonderful B&Bs, though.

This is the one we recommend to our guests, and they have always loved it, choosing to return to it when they return to the area. http://www.pioneerridge.com/#

Here's the visitors' center site for lodging: http://www.matsuavailability.com/

I doubt every place is listed on it, but it's a place to start.

So you all have day Wednesday and most of Thursday with a 10pm flight? So you need to be at the airport by 8pm?

I would stay the night in the Talkeetna area. That would give you some time at Denali National Park. You could explore the entrance area and drive the first 15 miles of the road to Savage River. You might even be able to squeeze in a flightseeing tour from Talkeetna that evening or in the morning. Talkeetna also has several good restaurants.

Then on Thursday you'd have time to explore on your way to Anchorage. You could driving into Hatcher's Pass or up to Eklutna Lake.

If you do decide to stay in Wasilla, I would recommend the Best Western Lake Lucille Inn over the Grandview Inn & Suites. Or as mentioned, there's plenty of B&B's.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will have done quite a bit of Denali before Fairbanks. That statement may show my ignorance of Denali. :). That being said, I am really appreciative of suggestions of things to do in the area and places to stay. We are not major hiking people but otherwise open to seeing/ experiencing new places.

In 2011 we stayed for a night in the Best Western Lake Lucille Inn in Wasilla while on a driving trip down to Seward and Homer.

While lobby decor can be described as "Alaska hunting lodge classic," and the rooms were somewhat dated with very dated bathrooms. However, our room was very clean and the hotel itself is quiet with no noise from the Parks Highway. If I remember correctly, it does not have an elevator. Also, they offer a basic continental breakfast and do not have a restaurant on premises (at least at that time). We found it fine for one night.

Northern Aurora is correct. There is no restaurant at the Best Western Lake Lucille Inn. But if you have a car, it shouldn't be a problem.

I would recommend it over the Grandview. The Grandview is a newer property, but in my opinion it was poorly built, poorly maintained and poorly run. The restaurant onsite has bad food and bad service.

Your other options in Wasilla is a B&B. Hatcher's Pass B&B is pretty popular.

Thanks for all your help. These boards are great! We decided on the Pioneer Ridge B &B. Very excited - now all reservations are made for Pre and post cruisetour. 26 days to go. Time to think about packing. Yippee!!

Archived