Quantum "NEW" Obstructed View Balcony Cat DO/SB

Does anyone have any info on these cabins? Both seem to be on decks 6 and 7. Cat SB seems like a smaller cabin. Cat DO looks regular size. Would the obstruction be lifeboats? Cat DO comes to a savings of $350 over a D8 right down the hall .

We are thinking of sailing January, 2015. The first and last two days might be too chilly to even use the balcony but we always prefer the option of getting some fresh air.

Does anyone have any info on these cabins? Both seem to be on decks 6 and 7. Cat SB seems like a smaller cabin. Cat DO looks regular size. Would the obstruction be lifeboats? Cat DO comes to a savings of $350 over a D8 right down the hall .

We are thinking of sailing January, 2015. The first and last two days might be too chilly to even use the balcony but we always prefer the option of getting some fresh air.

We have a DO on the Quantum on Deck 6 mid-ship and the obstruction is the lifeboats.

We have a DO on the Quantum on Deck 6 mid-ship and the obstruction is the lifeboats.

Thanks....I can't tell from the pictures whether DO/6 is a total obstruction or the lifeboats are at floor level with the balcony so the obstruction is down and not straight ahead. Anyone????

The DO cabins have either a 50% or 75% obstruction from the lifeboats. Views of the water will be very limited in these cabins as the lifeboat will basically block your view. The SB cabin are the Single Occupancy Balcony cabins.

The DO cabins have either a 50% or 75% obstruction from the lifeboats. Views of the water will be very limited in these cabins as the lifeboat will basically block your view. The SB cabin are the Single Occupancy Balcony cabins.

Thanks..... Not the answer I wanted but it is what it is.

Will have to explore a different balcony category.

Any suggestions?🚣🚣

Thanks..... Not the answer I wanted but it is what it is.

Will have to explore a different balcony category.

Any suggestions?

Any of the non-obstructed balcony categories should be fine. The DO cabins are not appealing to me, I don't want to look a lifeboat for the entire cruise.

The deck plans show the lifeboats to be on deck 5. How would that directly block the views on deck 6? My thoughts were that you make not be able to see the water by looking straight down but you could see it by looking out.

The deck plans show the lifeboats to be on deck 5. How would that directly block the views on deck 6? My thoughts were that you make not be able to see the water by looking straight down but you could see it by looking out.

That was my original thought.......I will check further

You will not be able to see out from any of the Cat DO's if you're seated. The lifeboat will block your view when seated as it will be directly in front of the glass below the railing. When standing you will have to look across the top of the lifeboat, so your view will be somewhat more limited even when looking out. If you have a cabin listed as 75% obstruction, then your view out will be mostly blocked.

These cabins are similar to those on CCL that have the French doors (no balcony) but the lifeboat is in the way.

Quite frankly, I would only book these cabins if they were prices the same or close to a regular oceanview cabin. If I'm paying for a balcony, I don't want to have a lifeboat taking 50-75% of my view.

I LOVE the French door cabins on Carnival. Our obstructed balcony was the same price as an interior and it was hundreds more to go to a balcony. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I LOVE the French door cabins on Carnival. Our obstructed balcony was the same price as an interior and it was hundreds more to go to a balcony. I'm happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Very nice.. I would only book these if the prices was the same as an interior or ocean view. If they were priced more closely to the unobstructed balcony categories, I wouldn't book the Cat. DO.

You board the lifeboats on deck 5 and the contraptions that suspend the lifeboats are positioned on deck 5, but they extend upward toward deck 6, where the lifeboats actually hang.

These attached photos are obviously NOT taken on Quantum of the Seas, however they do illustrate what you "might" expect in an obstructed balcony cabin on deck 6.

You can see how the percentages of obstruction can vary too. It just depends on which part of the lifeboat is in front of your balcony. And not ALL lifeboats are created equal either. Some are taller than others! :eek:

Balcony7ASpiritsmall.jpg.85d0588d4baa734dd49cf9ceb09f8f3e.jpg

imagesCA6KB7OC.jpg.282fe0dbd3fe3c1757dbca5fef13ea37.jpg

114459088_viewoffnewbalcony-712913.jpg.f5691e47904fad4e52f3cb3e9e01aaaf.jpg

1474947465_ry400.jpg.de5021d0f25e0bb1bcbb1dbf468efb8b.jpg

We're happy with the choice.

The DO was $200 more than an OV but $400 less than the next level

(D8) balcony......and those D8 cabins were right down the hall on the same deck 6.

If we wanted to move further up in balcony categories it would have cost an additional several hundred. Inside cabins don't appeal to us. The $400+ we saved will be better spent on board.....And since we are sailing from NY in January we're going to lose a few days where you would not want to hang out on any balcony.

I doubt that the prices will come down but I'm guessing the limited number of DO category staterooms will go quickly.

Edited by martyap

You will not be able to see out from any of the Cat DO's if you're seated. The lifeboat will block your view when seated as it will be directly in front of the glass below the railing. When standing you will have to look across the top of the lifeboat, so your view will be somewhat more limited even when looking out. If you have a cabin listed as 75% obstruction, then your view out will be mostly blocked.

These cabins are similar to those on CCL that have the French doors (no balcony) but the lifeboat is in the way.

Quite frankly, I would only book these cabins if they were prices the same or close to a regular oceanview cabin. If I'm paying for a balcony, I don't want to have a lifeboat taking 50-75% of my view.

How do you know what percentage is the view blocked?

How do you know what percentage is the view blocked?

Only RCCL has that information. How accurate it is for a ship that is not yet built is hard to say. The cabin I selected was 50%......others might be 75%

The next category up w/o obstruction was D8 at +$360

Edited by martyap

Only RCCL has that information. How accurate it is for a ship that is not yet built is hard to say. The cabin I selected was 50%......others might be 75%

The next category up w/o obstruction was D8 at +$360

TAs can see it as well on their booking site.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

We booked a DO on deck 6. We are also "get on the ship the cheapest way possible" cruisers and figured we'd give it a try since it was the same price as interior (with balcony discount). Normally we have an inside cabin so any view will be something new. We tend to be only in our cabin to sleep. Anyway, I'm very excited about this new ship!

Im looking at these cabins. I liked them on the CCL Spirit class ships

and the lifeboat only blocked the downward view. Very good value. Im speaking of at 7A cabins

While the 4J cabins(french doors) are a good value on CCL i didnt really like them as I want a balcony to walk out on

Just need to figure out which ones are the less obstructed on the QOS and hoping it will be more like the 7A not the 4J