Still looking for Old San Juan Restaurant Rec

Bazel

:confused: We will be in SJU on 6/28 as part of an evening call. Our party of 8 would like to dine in town to celebrate two birthday's and one anniversary.

While I have found a handful of reviews - nothing really stands out.

Parrot Club sounds like a lively spot but am concerned about wait and noice level (Seniors in the group won't like either).

Amadeus and El Picoteo sound like good options - but I really was hoping for a first hand review.

So if anyone has some recent first hand experience dining out in Old San Juan and would like to share their experiences I am open to any ideas.

BZ

DW & I were in SJ in April. We stayed one night pre and post cruise at the Radisson Ambassador in the Condado area. Took most of our meals in the restaurants on Ashford Street.

We did eat lunch in OSJ at the Barrachina Restaurant (Fortaleza Street, mid-block between Del Crsto & San Jose). Their claim to fame is being the restaurant where the Pina Colada was invented back in 1963. The food and service were good. Prices were in line with the rest of the city. Indoor dining (with A/C) is available as well as outdoor seating in their inner courtyard. The Pina Colada's were real good too! :D

We had afternoon snacks and beverages at the Parrot Club. Food and service were very good; however, I thought the prices were a little high. It is a small space and will likely be loud in the evening/night time.

We ate at a restaurant called Aqua. Food and service were great, albeit a little pricey. I believe it is on the same street as the Parrot Club.

Maybe you mean "Aguaviva"? It's on Fortaleza St. by the owners of The Parrot Club.

To Bazel:

Must you stay in Old San Juan? Just a short cab ride away in Puerta de Tierra is a great seafood/spanish restaurant called "Marisqueria Atlantica". Address: 7 Lugo Vinas St. TEl. 787-722-0890 You can find a great variety of foods there, not just seafood, although the Paella is very good. Some of the starters are quite interesting and delicious.

On a recent business trip, my son took a group from the states there and they loved it.

It's described as "casual/elegant", meaning no shorts just nice casual clothes, as you would to a nice but not stuffy restaurant in your area.

The challenge is as a party of 8 the logistics of putting everyone in cabs to go somewhere. Choosing somewhere in Old San Juan will allow folks some time to do their own exploring, join the group for dinner and then either have easy access to the ship or wander about some more on your own.

I wish it were different but the path of least resistence is sometimes easiest.

BZ

We loved the following restaurant (info copied from the san juan tourist info website):

Carli Cafe Concierto

206 Tetuán St Rafael Carrión Plaza, Banco Popular Bldg., Old San Juan

San Juan, PR 00901

(787) 725-4927

Puerto Rican

Continental creations include duck rissolé, cod dumplings, breast and leg of duck, and filet of salmon with mustard-cream sauce.

Make reservations if you go because the place is small but wonderful. Great steak - not to pricey but not cheap. They have little tables outside if you like but we went inside because they have a great piano player (the owner). We were told that he used to play with the beach boys many moons ago.

They are not far from the port area in old San Juan - we walk but its several blocks.

Archived