Cruising Over New Years

cruiser05

We decided we wanted to get away from our miserable winters here in Missouri and take a cruise over the holidays.

Naturally since we wanted to get away from bad winter weather, we decided to cruise out of NYC on the 27th of December. (Brilliant i know)

Wondering from past NYE cruisers a few things.

What sort of special things does the ship do for the celebration?

Anyone have an guesses as to ages to expect on this time of cruise? We have 18 and 22

year olds cruising.

Also, how bad will dealing with New York be with all the added people coming in to be at Times Square? Or is the 27th early enough we shouldnt run into anything more than usual holiday traffic?

DH, DS 14 and DS 10 and I were on the Carnival Fantasy this past NYE. That is out of Charleston so I cannot speak to anything New York related. However, I absolutely loved the cruise...it was one of the best I have been on. First they still had the Christmas decorations up which was really spectacular to see all that. They did take everything down on 1/1 and 1/2 so we got to experience the ship undecorated as well. This was a 5 day cruise and every day there was a more festive atmosphere aboard the ship than I have noticed on other cruises. There is also ALOT of free champagne available...they were pouring it freely at embarkation and on NYE. There was a huge party on the Lido and of course a countdown. They passed out mardi-gras type necklaces and glow lights and there was a huge buffet at midnight. My kids had a great time too, claiming they enjoyed the cruise more than going to Disney. NYE was our sea day and Elegant night and everyone was more formal than you typically see. They had a ton of fun NYE related photo stations set up, and they passed out NYE hats and horns in the MDR at dinner.

The only negative thing I could say was dinner in the MDR that night was painfully slow and we had to wait about 30 mins for a seat. We had sat there so long we didn't even stay for dessert. definitely not a trip spoiler though.

I am eyeballing a few NYE cruises for this year. We were on the Ecstasy in March and will be on the Dream in October so I'm not sure I can swing a fourth cruise, especially at holiday rates.

If you use you-tube you should look for NYE videos on the ship. I found several posted for the Fantasy and they were fun to watch ahead of time and my kids got excited about the trip watching them.

Have fun!

DH, DS 14 and DS 10 and I were on the Carnival Fantasy this past NYE. That is out of Charleston so I cannot speak to anything New York related. However, I absolutely loved the cruise...it was one of the best I have been on. First they still had the Christmas decorations up which was really spectacular to see all that. They did take everything down on 1/1 and 1/2 so we got to experience the ship undecorated as well. This was a 5 day cruise and every day there was a more festive atmosphere aboard the ship than I have noticed on other cruises. There is also ALOT of free champagne available...they were pouring it freely at embarkation and on NYE. There was a huge party on the Lido and of course a countdown. They passed out mardi-gras type necklaces and glow lights and there was a huge buffet at midnight. My kids had a great time too, claiming they enjoyed the cruise more than going to Disney. NYE was our sea day and Elegant night and everyone was more formal than you typically see. They had a ton of fun NYE related photo stations set up, and they passed out NYE hats and horns in the MDR at dinner.

The only negative thing I could say was dinner in the MDR that night was painfully slow and we had to wait about 30 mins for a seat. We had sat there so long we didn't even stay for dessert. definitely not a trip spoiler though.

I am eyeballing a few NYE cruises for this year. We were on the Ecstasy in March and will be on the Dream in October so I'm not sure I can swing a fourth cruise, especially at holiday rates.

If you use you-tube you should look for NYE videos on the ship. I found several posted for the Fantasy and they were fun to watch ahead of time and my kids got excited about the trip watching them.

Have fun!

I was wondering about Christmas stuff. Interesting to know that they decorate the ships.

Thanks to all for the picture additions. Light up bow tie sounds like my kinda style. Gotta make sure to do a little shopping for some festive stuff to wear.

Being a group of younger passengers, we are hoping for a little younger atmosphere. But no matter, im not at work...im happy.

oh and i just checked!

NYE will fall Tuesday when we are in Nassau, which we arent supposed to leave until 10pm. I hope sail away doesnt interfere.

Wed morning we are supposed to be in Freeport from 7-6pm....hopefully we will be functioning by then! :)

Also, how bad will dealing with New York be with all the added people coming in to be at Times Square? Or is the 27th early enough we shouldnt run into anything more than usual holiday traffic?

Won't be a problem, especially leaving on the 27th. As an NYC resident I can assure you that we are overrun with tourists pretty much 365 days a year ;)

Archived