My First Review - Our adventures on the Breakaway

Sheba0514

...and last but not least and the biggest deal to yours truly, c) they had not hooked up the speakers for the ambient music... C’mon people you dock in NYC once a week, send someone off the ship to the nearest Best Buy or Radio Shack and come back with two portable ipod speakers (and I mean good ones) and two shuffles. How hard is this really??

6. The television does provide in room access to see your portfolio and your reservations among other things. Don’t freak if you don’t see a ressie there, for some reason the television does not pick all of them up

WOW Sheba0514--thanks so much for the detailed and thoughtful review! I am sailing (solo, as usual) on the June 23 voyage and your post has made me realize that i have not researched Bermuda either!

Then again, I have found that whenever I get off the ship in the Caribbean, after about an hour I'm ready to get back on. Plus which I'm traveling on a super-tight budget, so whatever I do will be simple but fun.

Now please don't laugh, but since you mentioned music and the tv channel, I thought I'd ask if you noticed what kind of music plays on the information channel (the one where the weather and conditions are posted)? I like background music when I'm in the room and was pleasantly surprised to find that the Gem and the Jewel had smooth jazz on the info channel, which meant i could leave my turntable and my vinyl albums at home. ;) So I'm just wondering what I can expect on the Breakaway.

Of course, if you didn't focus on that I will understand. :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks again... I'm off to research Bermuda!!

~ Diane

WOW Sheba0514--thanks so much for the detailed and thoughtful review! I am sailing (solo, as usual) on the June 23 voyage and your post has made me realize that i have not researched Bermuda either!

Then again, I have found that whenever I get off the ship in the Caribbean, after about an hour I'm ready to get back on. Plus which I'm traveling on a super-tight budget, so whatever I do will be simple but fun.

Now please don't laugh, but since you mentioned music and the tv channel, I thought I'd ask if you noticed what kind of music plays on the information channel (the one where the weather and conditions are posted)? I like background music when I'm in the room and was pleasantly surprised to find that the Gem and the Jewel had smooth jazz on the info channel, which meant i could leave my turntable and my vinyl albums at home. ;) So I'm just wondering what I can expect on the Breakaway.

Of course, if you didn't focus on that I will understand. :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks again... I'm off to research Bermuda!!

~ Diane

Hi Diane, I'm so glad you found the review to be helpful. Now I do recall turning to the navigation channel and there was definitely music. For the life of me I don't recall the genre. So sorry I can't help with that one.

I know what you mean about the other islands. This one will be different and it just occurred to me while thinking about my reply what the difference is. There won't be anyone standing on the pier trying to sell you anything or tying to push anything on you.

You will be completely unsolicited while you're there at least that was true for us. Believe it or not you can get by pretty cheaply on this expensive island particularly if you have all of your meals on the ship.

I suggest you get the transportation package for at least two days. You'll need the ferry to get to Hamilton and St George's. when site seeing we didn't spend anything except to get into the museum at the wharf about ten dollars if I recall and with the exception of the beach at the wharf those are free.

I hope you enjoy the island. It is one of the most beautiful that I've visited.

Fantastic review!! Thank you! We will be checking out The Haven and a S7 cabin this time next week. :D

Love your idea of doing an island tour on the first day. Again, thank you! Best review I've ever read! Well done!

• 8 months later...
Great review! We were on your sailing and were in an S4 2-bedroom villa just a few doors down (16112). Haven't had time to do my review yet, but I did want to jump in to say that we were "Lucky" to have the same butler you did, but it sounds like our impression is a little different. This was our sixth suite with NCL and we've had mostly good experiences with our butlers, but their styles certainly can vary. On this cruise, we thought our butler was the best we've ever had. Building on our experiences on past cruises as well as suggestions here on Cruise Critic, we talked with him for a while on the first day.... chit chat, introductions, and some requests regarding snacks, drinks, etc. Very friendly right from the start. Then, as the cruise progressed, we'd chat some more and there were a few more requests (like slices of Banana Cream Pie from the Haven Restaurant's lunch menu when we would come back late afternoon from exploring Bermuda!). We were constantly impressed at how quickly, consistently, and well things were done. Sometimes we would only be gone for a few minutes and he would sneak in and take our dirty plates away and restock the glassware, etc. for the Lavazza machine. Another example: we had requested some iced tea for the fridge on the first day, and every day after that, we got a new pitcher of iced tea - and we're convinced he was really brewing the tea instead of using the tea mix product they serve elsewhere on the ship (and we certainly did not ask him to go to that trouble; he just did it, and it was much better!). We tipped even more than what we usually do because we were so pleased with the service he provided. Anyway, I just didn't want people who get him as their butler to think "oh no" from the start, because this just shows that experiences with the same person can be different.

Agree with so much of your review (maybe that will save me from having to write my own!). :D

I did really enjoy Rock of Ages though.... :eek:

And about hot dogs, we had one in O'Sheehans, late one night and I have to say it was one of the best hot dogs I've ever had (and I've had my share of them). Totally wasn't expecting it. Granted, I had had a drink or two, but I don't think that was influencing my taste buds because a friend who went with us and doesn't drink also said the same thing. The bun was soft, warm and toasted and the dog was hot, plump, and grilled. It was simply delicious (that "chili" they served on the side is a different story). We also found the hot dog cart open on the Waterfront on the last day.... that dog was ok at best... very subpar when compared to the O'Sheehan's late night hot dog.

:)

Could you give us a guide of how much to tip the butler and others on the NCL? This will be my first time sailing with NCL and in the Haven 16112. I usually prepay my tips with RCCL and Disney.

Thanks in advance.