Intercontinental Tahiti, Papeete... room choice

Tweedy

Thanks again, Twin, appreciate all your input.

I think we'll book the lowest category (instead of using points) and roll the dice with our Platinum Elite status.

One more question ... I have a $100 Expedia certificate I could use if I book through them. (same rate as ICH website). Will booking w/Expedia rather than direct w/IHG water down any Platinum Elite perks I can expect?

Well you won't get IHG points but if you email the hotel in advance you SHOULD get some perks. In Buenos Aires 4 years ago I booked pre cruise with Princess and close to stay at the IC. While I got zero points for the stay I was upgraded to a club room and got certificates for free dry waning and a steak dinner. I just gave them my Ambassador card upon check in. Can't promise this would happen in Tahiti but it can't hurt to announce yourself ahead of time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

They would not until you showed up and they are booked you get squat. Them again on my upcoming trip I was told the hotel was sold out and I would not get upgraded. I received an email from the hotel after booking. Two weeks later I checked my reservation and I am in an upgraded room! Who knows!

Okay, so what you paid to join sounds like the Ambassador Club, right?

http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/gb/en/ambassador

So two questions!

1. Since we're already Platinum Elite members through the Visa card, and get the annual free night, if we also join the Ambassador Club, will we also be able to get the weekend stay free one night certificate?

2. If we decide not to join the Ambassador Club, what's your gut feeling about our reserving the garden level room in Tahiti for two nights using our points? Do you think our Platinum status would get us upgraded to panoramic view? (I know there are no guarantees -- just feeling you out!)

Thanks again for all your info -- very helpful.

I was reading tonight about the Ambassador Club in that we have booked at this point 6 nights IC and 6 nights Crowne Plaza on the one trip. The literature says you can buy Ambassador for 32,000 IHG points and though don't get same bennies on IHG you do get the elite level on IHG. Take a look -- IHG redid everything on July 1, 2013 but I wasn't into IHG as that was my period when SIL got us Marriott rooms at employee rate. Now back to what seems best in each situation though now have the 5 star experiences and finding Holiday Inn Express just a little hard to bear:(

My question for Ambassador members is: Do you only need ONE member ($200) for the room and can you book more than one room on that rate (we travel with a single adult cousin in her own room)?

Staying this many nights at least sign up for an IHG number - you will get a decent amount of points for this trip. You can book more than one room but you will only get points for your room. No one that I know has ever regretted buying the Ambassador status. The upgrades alone the first night at an IC property is worth it if traveling in French Polynesia! Plus the late check out basically gives you an extra day.

Now my question is can you use the Air Tahiti Nui stopover discount at $540 for 3 nights "run of the house" and still get your Ambassador perks? We have reserved lowest available rate at $719 for 3 days so there is a bit of savings with the air hotel arrangement. I am thinking of buying the Ambassador for one year as we have 4 nights IC and 5 nights IHG type hotels in New Zealand. The best perk might be late checkout with 3 early evening flights which would be better if had hotel room until 4PM or so.

When should I buy the Ambassador Club membership? All of my fall trips (Disney cruise/Hawaii land/ Florida land) do not have any IHG hotels booked. My trip to NZ starts late Jan. 2014.

How many rooms can you reserve with the Ambassador Club membership? We need 2 rooms on this trip as traveling with single adult family member.

Yes. You will get your perks with the Ambassador status. You won't get points probably though. Upgrade though is based on availability so make sure they know ahead of time your status.

Archived