Taking birth certificates on shore?

kiki&oz

We have all booked and have a child under 10, their website says proof of age with birth certificate must be shown. My sister isn't comfortable taking this on shore, I'm not sure she really wants to take a copy either.

We have all booked and have a child under 10, their website says proof of age with birth certificate must be shown. My sister isn't comfortable taking this on shore, I'm not sure she really wants to take a copy either.

All you need is a S&S card for a child when going ashore. Adults will usually need a photo ID too. The birth certificate is only used when checking in for your cruise.

Is the "birth certificate/proof of age" a requirement for a shore excursion booked privately or outside of a ship arranged excursion? What are you "booked" into/whoes website are you referring to?

I have two minor children, ages 14 and 17 and was looking into a tour flying to San Pedro, I noticed it required everyone's name be provided in advance and a photo id to match the names provided must be shown at time of tour. I feel we could use my kids school i.d. to meet the requirement.

I suggest your sister take exactly what they require - a certified copy of the birth certificate and place it in a gallon size zip lock baggie (if she's not wanting to fold it) to protect it from water, getting torn. Keep it with her purse, backpack, tote bag, etc. and then I would not leave the bag unattended if she's worried about theft. However, if (for example) you're going snorkeling off a boat as a group, she's going to have to leave it on the boat - as will everyone else be leaving their extra spending money/personal belongings on the boat. At that point I would have to trust the operators that they would not steal from their customers or just not book that type of excursion if I was worried about theft.

I would hate to misdirect you and hopefully Wade will answer but in my 50+ flights on Tropic I have NEVER had to show ID. They may know me now, but they didn't for the first 5 flights.

Tropic has a toll-free number in the States that you could inquire if you wanted further information.

Janice

Archived