Bob Dickinson's back?

According to JH, "Comedy" is being dropped from Brunch, Lido entertainment is being reviewed and new MDR menus are coming.

Not bad for UBs first week.

I might have to change my signature! I feel particularly engaged as my tag line used to say something similar about the change from a deck bands to a Jumbo tron.

Just google royal plans third oasis. Many news articles on how they are trying to get loans and perks from shipbuilders countries to build it

I've read plenty of reports about financing 3rd oasis ship. Have yet to see any begging being mentioned. I have seen smart business practices that reduce the risk to RCL.

I've read plenty of reports about financing 3rd oasis ship. Have yet to see any begging being mentioned. I have seen smart business practices that reduce the risk to RCL.

http://www.******************.com/2012/12/18/royal-caribbean-third-oasis-class-ship-status-update

Don't know if that link will work but it is from royal Caribbean blog. .com

I didn't know the DOJ had the power to prevent a company from going bankrupt and auctioning their assets.

Thank you for enlightening me.:rolleyes: Are you sure ?????????

With all of their new tonnage coming online, I doubt that NCL and RCI will have any interest in Carnival's stuff.

Got any evidence to back up this statement?

Keep in mind that S.S. doesn't know anything about business.

When building a large ship, you negotiate price and financing. You don't just write a check with all those zeroes!

The shipyards are hurting and RCL does this thing called "negotiating". That's business.

When you negotiate the price on a new car, does that qualify as "begging"?

When you negotiate that price and get 0% financing for 60 months, does that qualify as "begging"?

Of course not!

CCL is dead in the water. They have an aging fleet and while they put lipstick on the pigs (like the Destiny), its competitors are ordering new ships.

They have to, they need room for all those former CCL cruisers!

With all of their new tonnage coming online, I doubt that NCL and RCI will have any interest in Carnival's stuff.

Where are you getting these imaginary ideas ??

Companies (and people) that accumulate massive debt go bankrupt. Carnival does not fit that profile.

Companies (and people) that accumulate massive debt go bankrupt. Carnival does not fit that profile.

If you're the last one off the ship, don't forget to turn the lights off. :p

Not sure if I am mis-reading this or not but Carnival Cruise Lines certainly has a debt load it carries.

As far as negoitating for business of course Carnival does that as well. Fincanteri Shipbuilders has a long working relationship with Carnival. Do not think for a moment Carnival has not used that as leverage when wanting to go for a new build. What new ships Carnival has built a prefabricated elements with minor adjustments depending on specific needs. Any shipyard could construct what Fincanteri builds quite easily, and Carnival would most definetly hold that over Fincanteri in negoitating a price. And FIncanteri is a state owned company of the Italian Government. The gov't has an interest in keeping people employed and that allows for greater access on price negoiations..making it easier on CCL to keep control on price.

I do in fact know a good deal about business.

Royal's negotiating skills are so good that they have negotiated the rating of their bonds to near junk level. Without begging for finance, they would have little option but to let their bond rating sink even lower and drop even further into debt. :p

I do in fact know a good deal about business.

Royal's negotiating skills are so good that they have negotiated the rating of their bonds to near junk level. Without begging for finance, they would have little option but to let their bond rating sink even lower and drop even further into debt. :p

I never said you didn't Sargent Schultz.

Reading your posts you are very pro-Carnival and that shows in your postings. To say Carnival doesn't carry debt (several billion on the books) or doesn't need to negoitate with shipbuilders is absolutely untrue.

For certainty, CCL, like NCL and RCL negoitate heavily for reductions and gifts in their projects with shipbuilders. CCL is expected to negoitate the best deal possible, and it does.

I doubt that NCL and RCI will have any interest in Carnival's stuff.

A problem discussed often.

Carnival finds its market niche invaded heavily with new ideas that when introduced, CCL panned. Mr Arison has commented more than once that RCL "seems to be in comeptition with itself". Yet, RCL's new ideas are proving very successful and with CCL avoiding the discussion of onboard yields. Many analysts are predicting CCL's onboard revenues are stagnant this year. Not good for a company who virtually gives away cabins to fill them and amkes up for that with onboard revenue. Now CCL is introdcuing 4k plus capacity ideas..something it said it would avoid doing.

Carnival needs to go back to its roots and break the mold once again. They need to desperately replace the Fantasy Class, who btw, still make $$ for the company. But, those yields are not proving adequate growth when compared to the competition.

Carnival has a number of problems which are correctable and they will survive. The cost cutting strategy has not worked and has hurt the company instead of growing it.

I SO get what you are saying.

I don't hate CCL at all. I hate that I feel what I loved was compromised in a noticeable way by poor management/direction.

Let's face it, if we didn't like/love CCL, the changes wouldn't have upset us...we wouldn't have cared one way or ther other.

I like variety and would love to love CCL again.

Fingers crossed. You never know what will happen. :)

I agree i used top be a big CCL Cheerleader but all the cuts have made me an NCL Fan I have the Sunshine TA in a Lido Balcony just rear of the front elevators i hope i can relax on my balcony without the dj blaring loud music

I never said you didn't Sargent Schultz.

Reading your posts you are very pro-Carnival and that shows in your postings. To say Carnival doesn't carry debt (several billion on the books) or doesn't need to negoitate with shipbuilders is absolutely untrue.

For certainty, CCL, like NCL and RCL negoitate heavily for reductions and gifts in their projects with shipbuilders. CCL is expected to negoitate the best deal possible, and it does.

Of course they have debt. About a 0.4 debt to equity ratio. RCL's debt to equity ratio is over 1.0 - they are upside down, or shall we say capsized? :p

A problem discussed often.

Carnival finds its market niche invaded heavily with new ideas that when introduced, CCL panned. Mr Arison has commented more than once that RCL "seems to be in comeptition with itself". Yet, RCL's new ideas are proving very successful and with CCL avoiding the discussion of onboard yields. Many analysts are predicting CCL's onboard revenues are stagnant this year. Not good for a company who virtually gives away cabins to fill them and amkes up for that with onboard revenue. Now CCL is introdcuing 4k plus capacity ideas..something it said it would avoid doing.

Carnival needs to go back to its roots and break the mold once again. They need to desperately replace the Fantasy Class, who btw, still make $$ for the company. But, those yields are not proving adequate growth when compared to the competition.

Carnival has a number of problems which are correctable and they will survive. The cost cutting strategy has not worked and has hurt the company instead of growing it.

Carnival needs to reduce their capacity. As in, lay up 3, 4 or 5 of their Fantasy class ships. By reducing their capacity, they'll drive up prices for the available berths that remain. Not only that, it will reduce their overhead at the same time, through reductions in staff and operating expenses. By making more money with reduced expenses, they can improve their product.

Of course they have debt. About a 0.4 debt to equity ratio. RCL's debt to equity ratio is over 1.0 - they are upside down, or shall we say capsized? :p

Their debt position is greater than CCL, but hardly the mess CCL paints it to be.

It's RCL ideas that CCL is now following. the debut of the Royal Princess is an example of that. Royal's design was taken directly from Celebrity (RCL). Another example of CCL being in someone else's wake with ship design.

Their debt position is greater than CCL, but hardly the mess CCL paints it to be.

It's RCL ideas that CCL is now following. the debut of the Royal Princess is an example of that. Royal's design was taken directly from Celebrity (RCL). Another example of CCL being in someone else's wake with ship design.

CCL bonds are also rated higher meaning lower debt cost to CCL and higher cost to RCL.

IBM for years has been copying what others do. Like CCL, they have the resources necessary to execute it. Being the 800 pound gorilla has advantages for both IBM and CCL. :)

CCL bonds are also rated higher meaning lower debt cost to CCL and higher cost to RCL.

IBM for years has been copying what others do. Like CCL, they have the resources necessary to execute it. Being the 800 pound gorilla has advantages for both IBM and CCL. :)

Isn't IBM somewhat irrelevant these days?

They are currently in the process of a major restructuring and laying off over 3000 people in the US and more lay-offs coming overseas.

Well, now............I guess that's what happens when the 800 pound gorilla gets fat, lazy and complacent. LOL

Archived