Alaska - Seattle Washington - Royal Caribbean - Train first?

liveonbeach

My husband is afraid of flying and we want to go on a crusie to Alaska next year with Royal Caribbean. Does Amtrak go to where Royal Caribbean docks in Seattle Washington where we could board the ship? I looked up on Amtrak for the train station in Seattle Washigton and it goes there, but it goes to Ferry Pier 69. Is that where Royal Caribbean docks for the Alaska cruise?:confused::confused::confused:

While we don't live in Seattle, we visit frequently. I suspect that taxis always meet the Amtrak trains arriving into Seattle's King Street Station. And while we have never taken a taxi from King Street Station to Pier 91 I wold just like to comment that we find Seattle taxi fares to be very reasonable. But would you be arriving the same day as the cruise departs, or a day or so before?

Seattle's King Street Station is located about 5 min from the Bell Cruise Terminal(pier66) where NCL docks it is about another 5 min to the other pier (91 I think) - you can see one from the other. As you exit the station there is a taxi line - tell them which cruise line you want to go on - or the pier number. Here is a link to the trip advisor page on Seattle http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c50949/Seattle:Washington:Cruises.From.Seattle.html\

Coming from New York you are going to have a cruise before your cruise BTW it looks like the Empire Builder (the last train you are on) arrives around 10:30 (all things being on time - which they rarely are) which is perfect timing for most Seattle departures. You will also be going through Glacier NP and crossing all of the major mountain ranges in the US - 70 hours worth.

Have fun

For some reason Amtrak lists Pier 59 (where a ferry to Victoria BC departs) as well as the actual train station, King Street. There is no train service to Pier 59.

There are two cruise docks in Seattle, one near the downtown at Pier 66, the other a couple of miles north of downtown at Pier 91. Royal Caribbean uses Pier 91.

You'd have to take a taxi from the King Street Amtrak station, the price would be around $15 to $20 including tip.

However, I would strongly advise against trying to get on a cruise on the same day as you're arriving on the train. Amtrak has frequent delays on both the Pacific coast line and on the transcontinental line, and if your train was so late as to make you miss the sailing on your cruise, well...

So I'd definitely plan on arriving the day before your cruise departs (or before that so you can tour around) just to be safe.

Archived