My Long Winded Carnival Sunshine Review

MisterVile

We were also on the 5/26 sailing. My husband wakes up early and the Serenity pool lounge chairs were usually all gone by 7:00am. They did go around on the second sea day to put the 45 minutes stickers on the chairs that weren't occupied-but people usually got back in time to take them off. The entire ship's chairs were taken on sea days and after a day in port- can't imagine what it will be like in the Caribbean. They play the music way too loud and could hear it over the waterfall in the Serenity area.

What are these 45 min stickers? Where do u get them? So I am assuming u pick them up, reserve ur chair and as long as ur back within 45 min, it's ur chair? Can't people just take them off? Sounds like I'll be up by 6 am to get my chair, lol!

We were also on the 5/26 sailing. My husband wakes up early and the Serenity pool lounge chairs were usually all gone by 7:00am. They did go around on the second sea day to put the 45 minutes stickers on the chairs that weren't occupied-but people usually got back in time to take them off. The entire ship's chairs were taken on sea days and after a day in port- can't imagine what it will be like in the Caribbean. They play the music way too loud and could hear it over the waterfall in the Serenity area.

Never understood why they would have canned music in the Serenity area. Makes no sense to me at all.

Never understood why they would have canned music in the Serenity area. Makes no sense to me at all.

Part of the problem too, is that the new Serenity Deck is basically a part of the Lido...speakers and big screen directly behind the Serenity Deck location.

Thank you for your informative review. We will be just down the hall from where your room was located on the September 29 sailing. I'm wondering what the view was like when entering the various ports. I love to get up early and take all of the sights in. Are there any on that side of the ship? I hope, I hope....:)

One more question :) ... On top of the Yellow Waterslide, there is something that looks like binoculars. It is at the very beginning of the waterslide at the top. Are these binoculars did you notice? Thanks!

I specifically asked the guy once what they were. He offered up the might just be decoration. I looked at them an nothing obvious came to mind, but maybe

DSC_7489_Zyde.jpg

One more question :) ... On top of the Yellow Waterslide, there is something that looks like binoculars. It is at the very beginning of the waterslide at the top. Are these binoculars did you notice? Thanks!

They could paint eyeballs on those! (Actually that could be kind of funny!)

Realistically, maybe its some kind of clamping system..it does look funky tho...

There are lots of places to go to around Naples, we're planning to do Pompei and Herculenum on the local train, more than many ports I think. I can't see it as a weak point in the itinerary.

Not sure why you opted to tour Naples port?

I am not a massive fan of Naples, it seemed somewhat dirty and untidy to me but i completely agree, my "own" excursion was a €3 bus to Pompei, bus stop about 5 minutes walk right of the port. Made it back in plenty of time to get back on the ship for a 6pm departure.

This time will be taking the ferry over to Capri and spending a few hours on the island. Ferries leave from the port every hour and cost approx €16 each way.

Aside from the Pre-Cruise snafu and the Marseilles excursion, carnival didn't do too bad. Private excursions are cheaper but a little part of me likes picking things while actually on the cruise for some exhilaration and fun.

I completely understand why people do otherwise though.

Actually on this cruise all six of our booked excursions were private and four of those were with RomeInLimo dot com. We had no problems with any of them, except of course when we were kidnapped in Turkey but that's another story. :eek:

Actually on this cruise all six of our booked excursions were private and four of those were with RomeInLimo dot com. We had no problems with any of them, except of course when we were kidnapped in Turkey but that's another story. :eek:

Did they make you eat Turkey?

I specifically asked the guy once what they were. He offered up the might just be decoration. I looked at them an nothing obvious came to mind, but maybe

DSC_7489_Zyde.jpg

It looks like the lights which tell you when you can go down the slide. Red for wait, green for go.

Perhaps he boarded the ship early or took pictures when the ship was in port and most passengers were off having fun exploring Europe?

Perhaps a better picture would have been cruisers having fun on the Fun Ship...

As far as the crowded areas, just think when the ship starts doing the cruises from the US. Sounds like this cruise was older folks without kids. It was crowded? Add the younger families with all the kids. After our cruise on the Destiny I was complaining about the crowds and complained on these forums when most were praising the new Sunshine. I stated that it was too crowded being the Destiny and they were taking away public areas and making those areas into staterooms adding even more people. We stood in line for so long to get food or to do anything. It was ridiculous then and there's no way you could get me on it now. People keep praising it but time will tell. Enjoy the crowds people!:D

Thank you for your review! The ports are why I picked this cruise. I just wish Carnival would get it together :)

I am glad to hear about Dubrovnik! I just learned today that this is where they filmed part of Game of Thrones and my husband's ears perked up haha.

We are not sailing until October so hopefully things will be a little better by then. We are like you..a big cruise before we have kids so I hope we won't be disappointed.

Archived