Do not miss Slam Alan in the Jazz Club, Breakaway Fat Cats

Best Music in the known Universe  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Best Music in the known Universe

• Blues
    • Slam Allen playing the Blues
    • John L. Hooker playing the Blue
    • Rock
    • JAZZ (a.k.a fingernails on a chalkboard with feedback)

I hate Jazz. Some will make comments about it being numerically superior to other froms of music because the math works better. For me Jazz is a few notes short of fingernails on a slate chalkboard.:cool:

But Slam Alan is not a jazz musician; he is a Blues entertainer. And entertain he does for good long sets of the Blues. He will have you in tears from the laughter he provides. He is a grand sized musician backed by a great band who works with him like mayonaise on white bread with ham, yellow mustard and cheese.

The man can strum the guitar. The man can sing the blues. The man can play a full audience with ease.

A good "family" show where you will be more than happy to order a minium of two good strong drinks. Seating is spacious, the wait staff is quick.

Give a hand to his bass player, my favorite position, who is also the band's musical director.

I hate Jazz. Some will make comments about it being numerically superior to other froms of music because the math works better. For me Jazz is a few notes short of fingernails on a slate chalkboard.:cool:But Slam Alan is not a jazz musician; he is a Blues entertainer. And entertain he does for good long sets of the Blues. He will have you in tears from the laughter he provides. He is a grand sized musician backed by a great band who works with him like mayonaise on white bread with ham, yellow mustard and cheese.

The man can strum the guitar. The man can sing the blues. The man can play a full audience with ease.

A good "family" show where you will be more than happy to order a minium of two good strong drinks. Seating is spacious, the wait staff is quick.

Give a hand to his bass player, my favorite position, who is also the band's musical director.

jazz, are you referring to the greats like miles davis, john Coltrane, thelonius monk, dave brubeck, ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, winton marsalis and such????????

you cant be! say it aint sooo!

slam allen is fabulous and a must see...but I COMPLETELY disagree with on you 'opinion' of jazz!! I shudder at the thought!!!

All polls should have an "Other". I don't like any of your choices and I didn't care for Slam Allen when we were on the Epic. On the other hand, we couldn't not go to Howl at the Moon. We wished those guys didn't share space with Second City as Howl was so awesome.

Jazz Greats? versus Blues Legends.

there is really no 'versus' Blue and Jazz are linked together by its history.

Blues is what it is...B B King...Charlie Parkers....They are the greats as well...I dont listen to blues on the regular but im not going to knock because I respect that talent.

Those musicians told a story, made you think...took folks through some rough time...blues back in the day, got a many of folks some bad times. That is why I love Slam cause he rocks it old school. Not to many today can get down like that. Even if you dont like the Blues...but if you sat and just listen to the story that is being told and its going to draw you in . When Slam gets going, that head will start bobbing up and down...next you just start relaxing and soaking it in..the Blues transends color line, nationality, sexes...its something we can all relate to...no techno/synthesiers (sp)/computer generated tracks..just straight pure musicians (music)...That we definitely agree upon.

now if you are talking about..kenny G, Dave koz, and them that's is different.

All music comes from jazz...Slow down rock n roll, and you get jazz...im just saying. if you don't diggit, that is cool...but dont insult the musical mastery of those talented muscians who paved the way for maaany musicians... Elvis would not have been who he was without the influence of jazz in his musical upbringing. Im jussaying.

*clearly this is not 'cruise' related in its entirety, but i had to defend the greats,please pardon the interuption*

now if you are talking about..kenny G, Dave koz, and them that's is different.

Caught them both in concert - really enjoyed it! :)

Saw Slam on the Epic, and will be spending some time again in there on the Breakaway this September (make sure you bring the ship back on time)! :D

Tom

Not enough categories - but since you don't like Jazz that explains it:p

I love all kinds of music and Epic has it all - can't wait to see Slam on the Breakaway next year. Howl at the Moon is only as good as the combination of individual piano players on that particular cruise - but it is fun.

@ Tom

Would love to see kenny G and Dave Koz in concert.. Kenny G tears it up.. Him, Dave, Boney James, Brian Culbertson, Nelson Rangell and Kirk Whalem... are some of my favorites that i call new school jazz.

Boney James was in town back in April, but he gets back to area i will check him out.

Too many styles of jazz to lump it all in one!!

Also I think you are sailing after me.Slam and i will be some serious bonding which will result in me having a convero with the captian and tell him to keep going...so you may a little delayed getting on..dont blame me though:D

@dalgirl- OP poll is a mess! lol (yea OP im talkin aboutcha:D)

I did not make it to howl at the moon on the Epic. Im going to try and hit it when i go on the Breakaway in September

I thought Slam Allen was very good. He was definitely one of the highlights of the ship. But seriously, you should try and catch some of the greats like BB King and Buddy Guy live. Now that's good stuff!

All polls should have an "Other". I don't like any of your choices and I didn't care for Slam Allen when we were on the Epic. On the other hand, we couldn't not go to Howl at the Moon. We wished those guys didn't share space with Second City as Howl was so awesome.

I have to agree with you. I thought my sister and I were the only ones who did not think highly of Slam Allen. We left after about 20 minutes. And we LOVE all music, well except maybe country. We come from a family of muscians. Guitar and Piano.

I guess music is just very subjective, kinda like food. This is what I love about NCL. We all have choices.

I guess music is just very subjective, kinda like food. This is what I love about NCL. We all have choices.

One time on a 1st date, a guy told me he would take me to the Village to see Chick Correa (this after I told him I don't like jazz, especially brassy jazz). Well after sitting through the first act in a smokey (variety of smoke), dark, uncomfortable room Chick came on and I felt like I was in hell. I couldn't wait to get out.

On the other hand, I went to Preservation Hall in New Orleans and absolutely loved it.

Goes to show ...

I loved seeing Slam. I even got up and played the Hammond B3 organ with them 3 nights. Some of the other nights I played Billy Joel songs on the piano with the Howl and The Moon Musicians. One night in the dining room played more Billy Joel on an awesome Baldwin grand.

Recently saw Buddy Guy and he was fantastic. Just read his bio on my kindle. Going to see Robert Cray with BB King in New Brunswick in the fall.

I did see Chick Corea with Gary Burton last fall.

Think I am a concert addict. 62 Billy Joel shows. Going to the Stones next week.

I loved seeing Slam. I even got up and played the Hammond B3 organ with them 3 nights. Some of the other nights I played Billy Joel songs on the piano with the Howl and The Moon Musicians. One night in the dining room played more Billy Joel on an awesome Baldwin grand.

Recently saw Buddy Guy and he was fantastic. Just read his bio on my kindle. Going to see Robert Cray with BB King in New Brunswick in the fall.

I did see Chick Corea with Gary Burton last fall.

Think I am a concert addict. 62 Billy Joel shows. Going to the Stones next week.

I got to check buddy guy to see what yall talking about ova here..lol

Nice you jammed with slam . Im sure that was a fun time.

Now for the biggie..you are an addict ...or you love the hell out of billie joel..clearly he got to put on a show .. Adding to my bucket lisy:D:D:D

One time on a 1st date, a guy told me he would take me to the Village to see Chick Correa (this after I told him I don't like jazz, especially brassy jazz). Well after sitting through the first act in a smokey (variety of smoke), dark, uncomfortable room Chick came on and I felt like I was in hell. I couldn't wait to get out.

On the other hand, I went to Preservation Hall in New Orleans and absolutely loved it.

Goes to show ...

Yep. .lol its just soo many different styles off jazz... But its all good:)

I got to check buddy guy to see what yall talking about ova here..lol

Nice you jammed with slam . Im sure that was a fun time.

Now for the biggie..you are an addict ...or you love the hell out of billie joel..clearly he got to put on a show .. Adding to my bucket lisy:D:D:D

Maybe a bit of both! He has been my favorite since I was 6 years old. Twice I met him, once at the Blue Note and once at the 92nd street y

Archived