Independence Day

maryland

Hi - Just realized we will be in Nassau on July 10 which is their Independence Day. What can we expect as far as crowds, traffic, shop hours, etc. We were thinking of just going to either the BCH or Sheraton on day passes. Should we book ahead? Worried that if the weather isn't great it will be a waste of $$. We will be in port from 9am to 8pm. Thanks :-)

We were in Nassau for their Labor Day (6/7) which is a big deal there. We were on a land vacation on Paradise Island. We stayed away from downtown that day because most businesses were going to be closed for the holiday and we figured traffic would be horrible due to the parade. Atlantis did not seem any more crowded than any other day. I would venture that the public beaches might have been more crowded with locals, but they skip the resorts.

Hi - Just realized we will be in Nassau on July 10 which is their Independence Day. What can we expect as far as crowds, traffic, shop hours, etc. We were thinking of just going to either the BCH or Sheraton on day passes. Should we book ahead? Worried that if the weather isn't great it will be a waste of $$. We will be in port from 9am to 8pm. Thanks :-)

This is gonna be a big day.. the 40th anniversary of Independence. Celebrations will be taking place everywhere.. and you'll see plenty of locals taking part. Shops will open late, traffic downtown will likely be detoured.

I don't think you'll have a problem with hotel day passes, as these are not where the local celebrations will take place.

You may have to take a taxi to the Sheraton, as Jitney's won't be picking up downtown for a good part of the day.

Arawak Cay, Junkanoo beach and Goodman's bay will be jammed packed.

Thanks so much for the info. I think we'll book the BCH so we can walk & not have to worry about all the traffic. With that being said, my sister is concerned with the quality of the sea water there at the beach. Is it clean? I know that in St. Maarten there are warnings about the water at the in-town beach area. Thanks again - really appreciate everyone's expertise.

Thanks so much for the info. I think we'll book the BCH so we can walk & not have to worry about all the traffic. With that being said, my sister is concerned with the quality of the sea water there at the beach. Is it clean? I know that in St. Maarten there are warnings about the water at the in-town beach area. Thanks again - really appreciate everyone's expertise.

I've been swimming in this water for 27years.. and only once encountered a problem (they were dredging the harbor to accommodate Oasis).

Otherwise, it's a crystal clear as the rest of the northern beaches.

I have never seen any of the things others complain about.

I was there last week 3 days.. all were perfect, even after a rain storm.

Archived