I need to read something positive!!!!

tambo913

I just booked the CM for 1/2/06-1/8/06 ..WC cruise. I have been to many different sites and I cant believe that just a handful of people enjoyed the food. Whats on the menu? I ve also read that not many teens are around. My 14 & 16 yr old will be very disappointed??! IS smoking a problem ?

There are a lot of "ugly reviews" out there. Not as many good ones and bad......I havent made a cruise mistake yet, I think this might be my first!

Help...I need to read something positive!!! In fact lots of positive. Come on now, who has been to the Caribbean on Costa and had a great time...."fess up!"

I'll be the first; we sailed on the Costa Atlantica to the WC when it was new in March 2001 and just sailed on it again to the WC in March 2005. This was our 3rd cruise to the WC but we did it because of the ship and the cabin. Where else could you get a Grand Suite (Aft; 8 1/2 Deck) with 650 square feet for about $1,600/person including taxes, port charges, etc.

The ship is kept in immaculate condition; the carpeting had just been replacedn throughout and she looked the same as she did 4 years ago when she was brand new. From a food standpoint, we found it to be very good in the main dining room and the same at the buffets. In fact, I didn't hear a single complaint about the food. We had dinner at the surcharge restaurant (Club Atlantica) - free to suite passengers - and it was as fine a meal as you would get anywhere. We found the staff throughout the ship to be very attentive and going out of their way to please. Our cabin attendant was exceptional.

I think the entertainment could use some help; we couldn't find a Top 40's or Motown-type band for dancing. There seems to be an abundance of piano players and duo/trios in the lounges. A few complaints about the bars and lounges - they allowed children to sit at the bar stools, including the ones at the main bar in the atrium, and this was a problem. The bar ran out of strawberries when a friend ordered a strawberry marguarita because they had served so many "virgin" ones to kids. Also, there was a stream of kids in and out of the disco at all hours.

If you haven't been to the WC, you will enjoy it. Tulum (Mayan Ruin) and Xel-Ha (Lagoon) are a long but great trip at Cozumel (Playa Del Carmen), Dunn's River Falls in a don't miss at Ocho Rios (but I would not couple it with the Dolphin Swim/Encounter. Dunn's River Falls is one of the best places we've been and we have been on 9 cruises with our 10th (to Alaska) a week from tomorrow. Find Captain Bryan on Grand Cayman and do his 3 snorkel trip on the Buccaneer. This goes to Stingray City. You can find Captain Bryan on the internet.

Smoking? I'm a reformed one but that doesn't make me all bad. There is no smoking in the dining room or the main lounge during shows. With the European influence and a lot of European passengers, there tends to be a lot of smokers on the ship and plenty of places/opportunities.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to take another Costa cruise. The toga party is a blast and make sure - for the ladies - to take safety pins. We met a lot of people with kids on the ship and they had a great time. Of course, we were on the ship during Sprink Break both times so that probably had an effect. Honestly, no complaints about the food and the ship is magnificent!

BobbyG:D

I'm with you, Tambo913 - we booked 11/27 EC on the Mediterranea and the reviews are a bit unnerving (although not enough to discourage me yet..). I have scoured the web and cannot come up with menus. Can anybody help?? Evidently enough people like the food, as I cannot think of a company that would not respond to overwhelming negative comments about any aspect of its service.

We loved Costa last year back to back on the Atlantica EC & WC and are returning again this year on the Meditteranea in December. We always book a suite, love the extra attention and the cabins are spacious, room for us and the 2 boys (4 & 6). The service from the staff is excellent, the food is great, can't speak about the late night buffets as we have never been to one on any of our cruises. The entertainment was fine, not great, not bad !! we do the caribbean east and west (back to back cruises) and they give you a great deal for the second week. Kids Club great for the boys, babysitting in club until 1.30 am. Speciality restaurant food is excellent, worth the extra $20 (free meal one evening if you book a suite). IMO you would struggle to find something to complain about.Yes, the food is European style, but I am from England living in the USA and the food is tasty, not first class Italian food, but then this is mass produced and you are not in a top class restaurant, but as cruise food goes it is good. The ships are immaculate and the stewards and butlers maintain your cabins to a very high standard and nothing is ever too much to ask of them. Our room was always tidy and clean. I would say Costa works for us and maybe you'll love it too. I have some menus if you want to get an idea of the food served, email me at jeb9860@comcast.net and I will forward them to you. We have also sailed on Princess and we feel the food on Costa is so much better than Princess.

There are 3 appetizers to choose from, 3 soups, 2 salads, 3 pastas 4 entrees, always one steak dish. a vegetarian dish, 5 or 6 different deserts each evening as well as an always available section of Caesar Salad, Spaghetti with fresh tomato sauce, fresh salmon served as you like it, chicken breast and baked potato. The Beef Wellington is too die for and IMO the meat is always tasty and tender, I am real picky with my meat and my steak was always served to perfection.

The breakfast buffet always has a great variety, from full cooked breakfast to smoked salmon and bagels to fruit and cereal and pizza is always available.

Never ate lunch in main restaurant, boys always by the pool, but you can go to either the restaurant, buffet restaurant or there a bar by the pool serving chicken, burgers, hot dogs etc as well as a deli bar serving freshly prepared rolls and sandwiches.

The itineray is great on Costa, another reason why we book them and I agree you must see Stingray City, we used Captainmarvins.com and we had a great time. The boats from the cruise were overcrowded and IMO overpriced, we paid alot less and there was only 9 of us on a private charter which was excellent.

Just take all the opinions with a pinch of salt, you can't please everyone all of the time and you will see from these boards that there are alot of return cruisers with Costa so that should tell you something.

Tambo931

I remember feeling the same way you did when finding this board for info on Costa. I also thought....."did I make a mistake?" I took everything with a "grain of salt" and decided to enjoy my cruise anyway.

We were on the Mediterranea in 2004, our first cruise on Costa, my parents 2nd on Costa. We took the WC and had a great time. The ship was very clean, the staff friendly, and we thought the food was good, both buffet and dinning room. We ate the specialty restaurant (extra $20pp) and the food was wonderful! Our cabin was large and always clean. We went in Feb. and there were about 200-300 kids on board, and they seemed to be mostly European, must have been a school break over there. But the kids were never any problem and the staff always kept them busy, they seemed to be having fun. I never noticed any smoking problems.

This line has a more European flair, and announcements were in five languages, the mix on our ship was about 50/50, europeans/americans. We met many wonderful people from different countries and enjoyed the cultural influence.

And yes, toga night was fun.

I think since Costa focuses on europe more, and has only 2 ships in US from May-Nov. the people who cruise them the most don't post to this board. I'm sure there are many happy cruisers with Costa, we were happy and would cruise with them again.

Enjoy your cruise!

I just booked the CM for 1/2/06-1/8/06 ..WC cruise. I have been to many different sites and I cant believe that just a handful of people enjoyed the food. Whats on the menu? I ve also read that not many teens are around. My 14 & 16 yr old will be very disappointed??! IS smoking a problem ?

There are a lot of "ugly reviews" out there. Not as many good ones and bad......I havent made a cruise mistake yet, I think this might be my first!

Help...I need to read something positive!!! In fact lots of positive. Come on now, who has been to the Caribbean on Costa and had a great time...."fess up!"

We took it last year and I would go any time againe!!!!Menu was jus fine we could not complaine about food.Dont miss midnight buffet 4 o'clock tea buffet.

my 14 yr old had so much fun she talks about this cruise till now:D smoking is not a problem at all,just seat in NO Smoking area;) take Stingray City tour on Grand Cayman!!!You can skip San San Yaht tour on Jamaica,yaht is too old and its cost too much for this tour($65 perp)Just see the Falls.toga night its a blast!you will have fun for sure if you are normal people who needs a vacation,not a people who are looking for "wats was wrong":eek:

Iam feeling sooo much better..:D :D I was going to break out the tissue and tell the DH that I had made a terrible mistake. Thank..you to everyone that has helped calm me. I know some are going to judge everything. I am not one of them, but I am totally new to the "whole Italian" cruise food & activites. I just want to go to the sunshine, weather permitting of course and forget about work and bills! Anyone with me???

We did Captian Marvins about 3 years ago, great fun, first time for my boys to crusie....they LOVED IT! My son met a very nice family with a daughter..of course that we still keep in contact with. In fact the kids have become great friends. We have not been to Nasusa, its only a 6 day, but we are looking forward to coz and GCay again. We got a great price kids 3-17 sail free w/ only port taxes 42.90. We got an OV quad $1520....$$$$ great price! 1/2/06-1/8/06

If I could jump up and click my heels I would..thanks everyone..keep them coming. :D

About the food.

I remember reading somewhere here on the boards that suggested asking your waiter each night "what he recommended". I did that from about the 3rd night on and was never disappointed. Even if he recommended something I might not have chosen, I went with his suggestion and was always pleasantly surprised, and every meal was delicious.

Just something to think about.

You can t ask people who were never on the Costa Med what they think. Two different chefs. Food on the Med sucked. Italian style NOT italian food.

Food in club medusa was very good. I have not heard 1 bad thing about the food on the Atlantica.

Kids on our cruise were out of control, I'm sure the same kids are not cruising on your cruise but you never know. Crew did try to control these kids but when you have parents who allow their children to roam the ship all night and then say "not mine", what more could you expect.

We stayed in a PS suite, very, very nice, and for the price we paid it was great.

Bad food, out of control kids did not ruin my cruise, we still had a great time.

Don t worry just enjoy, everyones taste is different.

We did find something to eat every night, we didn t strave.

tambo:

Don't be discouraged or get nervous by all the bad reviews. Of course it's never an objective review, as one loves the food, the person on the table next to you might consider horrible.

We loved both, the Atlantica ('04) and the Mediterranea ('05). Because of two wonderful cruises we are going with Costa again in January of '06, where we will try the new Magica.

My recommendation: Don't go to the port with any kind of feelings or hesitations. Built your own opinion, of course that's what really counts. And even more important: that you and your family will enjoy a wonderful, relaxing and fun-filled cruise.

It was addressed in several forums before... you can view it from a positive side or a negative side. Some people are just out and about to find something they can complain about, such as food, cabins, smoking, pools, whatever you can think of. Some I think just put that in their mind and set their brains to "complaint" status. For some, it may be simply the best to stay put at home and don't travel anywhere, as they will find something to complain about, no matter where they go or travel.

I rather enjoy my vacation, even if it would not be perfect. Relax, enjoy the beauty of the vessel and the ports of call. A vacation is what you make out of it... and that should be the best!

We love Costa, and everything they do! We are proud to say, that we will be Costa cruisers for a long time!

If you have any further questions regarding the Atlantica or the Mediterranea, please feel free to contact me at PPPOWER96@aol.com, as we also had our teens with us on our first cruise.

I hope you will have a wonderful vacation and cruise and great memories to share with us after you coming back!

Happy Cruising!

Andy

Sorry Andy, but I don t go on vacation looking for things to complain about.

I have enjoyed every vacation I have been on but maybe my standards are just higher than yours. I couldn t tell you how the food was on your cruise, I wasn t there. The food on my cruise sucked. I complained about 2 things on Costa, the food and the out of control kids. Hopefully the food has got better and as for the kids that I blame on the parents.

Why is it so hard for you to belivie what others have felt about the food, out of every 5 posts about the food 3 hate and 2 love the food. We all have different tastes.

Come on now, I dont think Andy's standard's are lower nor higher then yours, rocktheboat, he actually said in his first sentance: as one loves the food, the person on the table next to you might consider horrible.

It really is all about perception and opinion. I look forward to all options, why because we all different and have different tastes. I didnt cancel my cruise becaue I felt lke there was more negative than positve so far. There is no right answer, everyone is correct becaue its how it happend to them. Its a vacation, or its suppose to be. Unruley children can make the most quite of moments into WWIII. I know I have 2 teenagers and I'll whip their butt in a heartbeat if they are

dis-respectiable (?). "rocktheboat", I loved getting your views, we have to get the good, the bad and the ugly in order to be informed. Now, lets play nice! :D

Good method to know a poster attitude is to check the public profile and see all posts form him. You will be surprised to see how attitude of each poster is the same throughout his postings…

I have to say I agree with you and I don't remember Andy pointing the finger at anyone in particular. I love to read and participate in these boards I find them so helpful, but hate when they turn ugly and people find it necessary to try to put other people down. I always enjoy reading Andy's replies and find him very informative and objective about the topics. Let's just give our opinions and try not to get personal...............

Another thumbs up for Costa here! Went to the EC on the Atlantica this past March and loved it! Have booked the WC on the Mediterranea for next March 2006. I agree with the other posters who say if you go with the attitude that you are going to have a great time, you will! Nothing is perfect but focusing on the positive makes for great vacation memories. Have a wonderful time!:)

rocktheboat:

I certainly was not pointing fingers at any poster here at the forum, including you. I acknowledge and appreciate everybody's opinion, view and comment. Nevertheless, that's what makes this forum (and any other forum) so interesting and informative. Isn't that why we are all coming together here?

Again, I understand that everybody's opinion is different, especially about the food so it seems. I feel sorry, that you could not find anything "reasonable" to eat on the Costa ship. I disagree though, that 3 out of 5 posts "hate" the food. It always depends on who you are asking... very subjective.

But it is not fair to any cruiseline to make it sound that their food they are serving is "horrible" or that it "sucks". Each and every passenger should go on board without any prior reservations about the food. Foremost each person should decide for themselves if they like it or not. Either "love it" or "leave it".

Is there always room for improvement? Probably. Can you always want more exclusive food? Probably. Can you always want more selection? Probably.

But by the time we come to the end of all those expectations, what price are you willing to pay for a "regular" cruise? $ 500, $ 1000, $ 2000 more?

We were extremely happy with the food on both ships, the Mediterranea and the Atlantica and we would lie if we would deny that we LOVED the food, the quality, the selection and the presentation. Again, OUR opinion.

Happy cruising in the future.... but be so kind, rocktheboat, to also report back from other cruises you may go on, and how "bad" their food is.

If you like what your reading it's a great informative post, but if your not happy with the truth look out poster. It's a good thing Andy loved his cruise and you find his posts informative and objective. But look out Andy if you ever come back from a cruise you didn t care for.

I never said Andy was addressing me in his post, I was telling Andy I am not someone who goes on vacation to complain.

Like I said, I can t talk for the Atlantica, was never on her, but I can for the Med. The only bad thing I talked about was the food, and it was bad.

You asked and I told your what I felt, if you didn t really want to know how others felt you shouldn t have asked.

FOOD!FOOD!FOOD! BY BAD FOOD WHAT PEOPLE MEAN?ITS FRESH,ITS A BIG SELECTION AND ITS NOT A BAD TASTE!!! YES I HAD A BETTER MEALS,BUT DINNER FOR 2 WAS $150-$200.AND AGAINE SELECTION SOOO BIG YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND WHAT YOU LIKE.I SAW PEPOPLE COMPLAINE ABOUT NCL BECAUSE THEY DID'T HAVE OAT MEAL IN THE MORNING:eek: THEY WILL NEVER TAKE NCL AGAINE!!!!!

FOOD!FOOD!FOOD! BY BAD FOOD WHAT PEOPLE MEAN?ITS FRESH,ITS A BIG SELECTION AND ITS NOT A BAD TASTE!!! YES I HAD A BETTER MEALS,BUT DINNER FOR 2 WAS $150-$200.AND AGAINE SELECTION SOOO BIG YOU CAN ALWAYS FIND WHAT YOU LIKE.I SAW PEPOPLE COMPLAINE ABOUT NCL BECAUSE THEY DID'T HAVE OAT MEAL IN THE MORNING:eek: THEY WILL NEVER TAKE NCL AGAINE!!!!!

It's amazing what upsets folks.

We WERE on the Med and thought the food was good. In fact our whole table enjoyed EVERY meal.

rocktheboat:

To be honest, if I ever come back from a cruise I don't care about, I'll let you know as well. No matter what the cruise line may be (Costa, NCL, Carnival, HAL, Cunard, etc.), I will tell what I feel and what the experience was.

But also on the other hand, if I enjoy and love a cruise (again, I am not getting paid by Costa for saying good things here), then the cruise line and especially the staff deserves some recognition as well. In my opinion it is even more important to let the cruise staff know that you enjoyed your cruise, rather than just hearing from you, when something went wrong or when there's something to complain about.

Interesting enough, I just got an e-mail last week from a staff member from the Costa Mediterranea, who just wanted to thank me for the appreciation for his (and the staffs) service they provided. Think about it, that also staff members and cruise staff may be members at Cruise Critic.

If you don't like it, that's fine and let them know - but in a NICE and CIVILIZED matter, not screaming, yelling and carrying on. And if you are a happy cruiser, let them know as well! ;-)

Costa does do an outstanding job and the Atlantica staff and the Mediterranea staff deserves the recognition.

Don't worry, rocktheboat, if I love a NCL or HAL cruise, I will post my recognition for them the same way as I do in my past two reviews for Costa.

If you read my last review of the Mediterranea, there was one point, which could have been changed, and that was the stop in Catalina Island. Probably another location would have been nicer to anchor, but did that have an effect on my vacation... nope! Enjoyed the ship and stayed on board...

Happy Cruising everybody...

Andy ;-)

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I don' t understand, rock the boat didn' t like the food and you did, so what.

RTB posted what they didn' t like and Andy came back with some people just need something to complain about, that's pointing a finger in my world. Your post was right after RTB's so it really does look like your pointing a finger.

I just got to tell you its the same 5 or 6 posters who talk about the great food. If you go back you will find alot more that didn' t like the food, posted it here and never came back. I read all these posts about the food but still booked the Costa Mediterranea, I didn" t care for the food either, it wasn't to my liking, but who really cares.

I just booked the CM for 1/2/06-1/8/06 WC cruise... There are a lot of "ugly reviews" out there. Not as many good ones and bad......I havent made a cruise mistake yet, I think this might be my first!

I'm new to this board, because I am curious about Costa (and have only sailed other lines). I liked the original intent of this thread: Costa fans tell us what you like. Obviously, the quality of the food is a controversial issue. What can you tell tambo913 and me what is unique to Costa? If you are a fan, please tell us why and what you like.

Thank you :)

You all are cracking me up!!! :p :p :D This is the most fun I've had in a long time. You know I hope the food is bad, its only taking me 6 months to lose 25 lb's. I might end up losing more weight on the cruise then on land!!!!! :D :D

You all are cracking me up!!! This is the most fun I've had in a long time. You know I hope the food is bad, its only taking me 6 months to lose 25 lb's. I might end up losing more weight on the cruise then on land!!!!! :D :D

LOL!!!!:p

Archived