Cunard Formal Nights

LoeyCruiser

Keith, this was directed at you (and me I'm guessing), however it should be obvious to anyone reading this thread that nothing of the sort occurred on this thread.

Nobody forced their ideas on anyone. The OP asked if it was true she had to wear an evening dress on formal nights, everyone who responded to her told that that wasn't the case, gave her the alternatives and posted the dress code as a guide.

Concise and to the point.

Whitemarsh: Thank you very much.

best regards,

seasidegal

Thank you :)

This thread explains what to do.

You're currently uploading pictures as attachments. Whereas I'm including them within the post. First, you'll need to find somewhere to store your photos online, that also allows you to link back to them. Smugmug is pretty good.

Thank you Whitemarsh. That was very helpful. I've tried but my first few attempts haven't worked out. I will try again when my brain is less frazzled. (I've just sorted out the month's finances. That's enough for one day.)

This is all I seem to get, using Smugmug as suggested.

30797567_zZRP4r#!i=2663726188&k=N9ZMG5L

Thank you Whitemarsh. That was very helpful. I've tried but my first few attempts haven't worked out. I will try again when my brain is less frazzled. (I've just sorted out the month's finances. That's enough for one day.)

This is all I seem to get, using Smugmug as suggested.

30797567_zZRP4r#!i=2663726188&k=N9ZMG5L

You're almost there, I've left you a few pointers where you were testing.

Thank you so much Whitemarsh. That's been a great help.

Now, to get back to the topic on hand. As well as my long skirt for formal nights, I also wear a short sequinned black number. A woman can never have enough sequins!

DSC07868-M.jpg

Thank you so much Whitemarsh. That's been a great help.

Now, to get back to the topic on hand. As well as my long skirt for formal nights, I also wear a short sequinned black number. A woman can never have enough sequins!

DSC07868-M.jpg

And let me be the first to say how wonderful you look in that "black number" :)

(I wanted to ask... who's the lady in the colourful full-length frock to your right? She's over-done the sequins somewhat :D ).

All best wishes :) .

:D Also over-done the scones at afternoon tea?

Thank you to Pepper and Whitemarsh.

(I wanted to ask... who's the lady in the colourful full-length frock to your right? She's over-done the sequins somewhat :D ).

I don't know who she is but she certainly looks very spruce! She really should take a bough for that dress. If she were my wife I would pine every minute we were separated. I wonder if she also wears a fir coat.

:D:D:D

J

I don't know who she is but she certainly looks very spruce! She really should take a bough for that dress. If she were my wife I would pine every minute we were separated. I wonder if she also wears a fir coat.

:D:D:D

J

Very clever. :D

Whilst the subject of gowns and evening dresses is the hot topic on here atm, I thought I would post some of the current things that inspire me:

This one was worn by Gladys George who played Mme. du Barry in the 1939 film version of Marie Antoinette.

i-sg8ZDvV-L.jpg

Fantastic...

i-V8Pdx2D-L.jpg

Too much for afternoon tea in the Queens Grill Lounge?

i-63qh94g-XL.jpg

You don't see enough yellow these days.

i-T6K2L63-L.jpg

Halston....inspired

i-9c7LMJw-L.jpg

Whitemarsh, I love the draping in the pale pink number and the elegance of the Halston dress.

Yeah me too, obviously some of them are OTT, but there's something about the lines of that red Halston dress that is very seductive.

Now you've got me searching Halston on Pinterest. How about these?

i-DJT8mXv-M.jpg

i-XKTmQ6G-M.jpg

This idea reminds me of a dress pattern (for a short dress) that I had back in the late 70s but didn't ever get my mother to sew for me. The one I chose was fitted but had the idea of diamonds in different colours. I wonder if it was inspired by this.

i-ksfvRMT-M.jpg

Just as an aside, am I going mad? I've also been watching the Over/Under dressed thread, and posts seem to have disappeared, including the instructions from Louise (copied from Cruise Critic) about how to block people if you don't like their posts. I noticed because one of mine went missing. :eek: :D

What was even funnier is that my next post, commenting on posts going missing, also disappeared. I wonder how long this one will last.

Now you've got me searching Halston on Pinterest. How about these?

i-DJT8mXv-M.jpg

i-XKTmQ6G-M.jpg

This idea reminds me of a dress pattern (for a short dress) that I had back in the late 70s but didn't ever get my mother to sew for me. The one I chose was fitted but had the idea of diamonds in different colours. I wonder if it was inspired by this.

i-ksfvRMT-M.jpg

The red one is stunning, and the black & white one reminds me of this kind of vibe:

i-W7n7q8X-L.jpg

I'm not over-weight, I'm under-tall.
I'm sure you're not over, or under, anything, certainly don't look it in that photo above.

However, I was once introduced by a friend (?) Claire, to her friends, with these words...

"pepper works as a body-double for Jabba the Hutt" :(

I just wish I could buy the figure to go with those stunning dresses.

I'm not over-weight, I'm under-tall.

What's worse is that Whitemarsh's posts just inspired me to purchase another gown.

Of course I will have to have it taken up, like all the others I have purchased recently. This trend for dragging hemlines is ridiculous.

I'm sure you're not over, or under, anything, certainly don't look it in that photo above.

However, I was once introduced by a friend (?) Claire, to her friends, with these words...

"pepper works as a body-double for Jabba the Hutt" :(

I would think Claire must have a problem with her eyesight!:eek:

So not true!:rolleyes:

Fantasy...you look lovely in your black dress.

Thanks, Whitemarsh and Fantasy, for the beautiful fashion show...

from another 'I'm not overweight-I'm under-tall' gal,

seasidegal

What's worse is that Whitemarsh's posts just inspired me to purchase another gown.

Of course I will have to have it taken up, like all the others I have purchased recently. This trend for dragging hemlines is ridiculous.

Oooh, lovely! Photos?

Have fun taking it up. I looked at one with all-over sequins and realised I would have to unpick the sequins if I wanted a neat hemline. (I once saw a dress designer unpicking sequins on fabric in order to sew the seams for a wedding dress. Seemed a lot of work.

Archived