Blue Lagoon beach day and dolphin encounter

janice2348

Sorry in advance if this has already been asked but I didn't find anything in search.

If DH and I book the Nassau blue lagoon excursion through rccl can I just walk over and do the dolphin encounter? DH is not keen on the dolphins and just wants a beach day. Would it be better to book with the company directly and add the beach day? Also can you wear your eyeglasses on the encounter(not the swim)

I have always gotten great advice here. Thank you in advance! :D

I LOVED Blue Lagoon and every inch of it was beautiful, clean, and amazingly peaceful! This was my second dolphin excursion in the Bahamas and my first BL trip, and definitely would return the first chance I could! A few pointers:

1. Most importantly, I thoroughly research any animal-related excursions before booking as my criteria centers around the care, happiness, living environment and mental well being of the dolphin, not the best price or most exciting for the tourist. Because Blue Lagoon is affiliated with the "Dolphin Communication Project" which I support, I knew going in that they are a state of the art facility where dolphin behavior is studied regularly, and their expertise and care for them is quite evident. Often times these tours are very stressful for the dolphins and I try my best to avoid supporting such circus-style excursions. Staff is truly well trained, and have a true caring bond with the dolphins. We weren't booked for a dolphin excursion but my heartbreak over hearing them singing and clicking forced me over to the excursion area to book a swim. Unfortunately we were unable to squeeze into the next one, but they were kind enough to allow us a quickie photo shoot with a dolphin which was very sweet!! I even spent a few moments discussing the DCP with the trainer, and as she spoke to me, she was literally petting one of the dolphins on his underbelly and he lay there floating and loving the attention. She kissed him and spoke to him and I knew in my heart that he understood. I walked away with my eyes tearing and my throat swelling with emotion over this beautiful sight of love and affection between these two and is a memory I will treasure always. :)

2. If you decide to book individually be careful not to mention you're sailing there as they have contracts with the cruise ships to NOT book the passengers independently (which is a cheaper rate). They will ask you where you're staying so I'm not sure if you'll be able to get around that. I personally booked through NCL because it was not only easier getting to and from the island by boarding the ferry right off the ship, but if the ferry is late getting back the ship will wait for you.

3. The locale is spectacular (and is the actual island where portions of "Gilligan's Island" were filmed, so it's a must see if you are interested in that sort of nostalgia!) Proximity of all facilities are within walking distance. You can walk over to view the dolphins and seals from the lagoon (beach day location) but an actual charge for viewing at a prime location may be incurred. (You can plainly see the dolphins from the lagoon and the pier without paying anything but the closer you get the more likely you'll be charged). You will board a ferry on the way there according to which excursion you've booked and be dropped off accordingly, but they're very close to one another so a short stroll over would take no more than 8 - 10 minutes.

4. I am not sure you will be able to wear your glasses so I suggest you call them ahead of time. Jewelry of any kind is not allowed - dolphins don't react well to that kind of thing - so maybe some goggles for you with prescription lenses may come in handy.

If you can swing it, please do the dolphin swim or interaction - it's one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had in my lifetime each time I've done it and Blue Lagoon is the best of the best of them!!

Have a great trip! ;)

Archived