Romantic Dinner

Gogie

My wife and I will be cruising on the Regatta in May 06 for our 25th anniversary. Of the speciality restaurants on the ship, which would you most recommend for dinner for two to celebrate our anniversary?

Depends on your idea of romance. Tapas is by far the most casual of the three restaurants, however, if the weather is nice you can dine outdoors. I don't know what kind of cabin you're in, but if you take an inside, this could be a very romantic experience.

Toscana and Polo are mirror images of one another and "small" so some people often feel that the rooms are cozier and more intimate than the main dining room. Of the two, italian food is more romantic than a steak house - but that's just *my* personal opinion, you may feel very differently.

The Main Dining Room is extremely pretty and you would have no problems pre-arranging a table for two in a cozy corner where the wonderful staff will make you feel like you're the only ones in the room.

If you're in a suite, you could have a wonderful, romantic dinner either in your cabin at the dining room table or on your veranda.

Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful cruise.

Jane

Jane,

Interesting coincidence - the first reply is from someone with the same name as my wife!!!

We have booked a PH suite, so in-room dining is an option, although I don't think we'll opt for that (but I will discuss it with her).

My wife is a real seafood lover, so having good seafood on the menu would be a plus (but not a requirement). As far as ambience goes, I think quieter with less "bustle" would be preferable.

Thanks for your input.

Do Oceania do anything special for you if it is your honeymoon or you are celebrating a special anniversary on board, e.g. complimentary bottle of champagne?

We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary during our September 05 cruise on Regatta...:)

Jane,

Interesting coincidence - the first reply is from someone with the same name as my wife!!!

We have booked a PH suite, so in-room dining is an option, although I don't think we'll opt for that (but I will discuss it with her).

My wife is a real seafood lover, so having good seafood on the menu would be a plus (but not a requirement). As far as ambience goes, I think quieter with less "bustle" would be preferable.

Thanks for your input.

When you say PH Suite, do you mean one of the cabins on the 8th deck that is not a corner? If so, Oceania is very misleading (lying) when they refer to those as suites, they are not suites in any way. There are - I think - 4 corner suites on the 6th, 7th & 8th deck. Those are the only suites and they all have dining room tables in them. Lucky you if you're in one of those! The 8th deck - or Penthouse (so called because there are no passenger cabins above) are regular larger cabins with balcony's and to my recollection, do not have a dining room table in them. However, perhaps the staff will bring one in if you want to have a special dinner in your cabin. We take a regular sized balcony cabin and there's not enough room in one of those to have dinner or a dining room table, but there would be enough room in one of the larger balconied cabins.

Like your Jane, I'm also a seafood lover and if I recall, Toscana has a lovely mixed seafood dish, served either over pasta or risoto.

I wouldn't worry about too much hustle and bustle - even in the main dining room. It's a pretty sedate crowd - especially after a few martini's. :)

Jane

As someone who regularly books a PH when I can, I agree that these cabins are NOT suites. Renaissance didn't call them suites and they were not and are not.

But they ARE more comfortable ... a full tub is nice, and the balcony is wide enough to make breakast in the room comfortable.

I'm not sure where we would want to dine for that special evening. We have never been that impressed with either of the specialty restaurants although in terms of FOOD we did prefer Polo. (I expected to prefer Toscana because of all the rave reviews we saw before our first Oceania cruise, but actually we found Toscana disappointing.) But it IS true that Polo and Toscana are quieter than the main dining room and I guess I would say that Toscana has a more "romantic" atmosphere. It's a hard call.

WE probably would opt for the main dining room ... and we might just invite some of our special friends to join us! But if you want a private table, you can get that, too.

We don't have to make that decision since none of our planned cruises have special dates to celebrate!

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time whatever you decide.

Archived