Tipping information

fmingo36

Great article on tipping

FYI-

There is a great article on tipping on the Cruise Critic home page today (6/24).

I have included the link. ( I hope it works)

I recommend reading it. So many people are unsure how to deal with tipping on a cruise and I founf this article to be very informative.

www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=132

Great article on tipping

FYI-

There is a great article on tipping on the Cruise Critic home page today (6/24).

I have included the link. ( I hope it works)

I recommend reading it. So many people are unsure how to deal with tipping on a cruise and I founf this article to be very informative.

www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=132

I could not get your link to work, but I just went to the homepage and read the article. Very good article too. Thank you !

I read the article and found it very good .. The tipping amounts he suggests are they per person or per couple ? Are the amounts suggested instead of the recommended amounts by the cruise lines or in addition to these amounts ?

For example he suggests $5 for the room steward per day. Is this per person or per cabin ? The room steward gets $3.50 per day/per person when using Carnival's pre paid gratuity, for example. When I stay in a hotel we leave $5 per day for 2 people. BTW, we used the the pre-paid option on the Legend and then gave the room steward, the headwaiter, and waiter, $25 each, extra in an envelope at the end of the week.

Just wondering ...

Tipping is always such a hot topic on these boards I'm almost afraid to say this... :o

I still do not think that I understand how the staff benefits - or is hurt - by the prepaid tipping system. In the past we have taken the tips off of our accounts and paid them directly to the staff that assists us.

But, I have read on here - on many occasions - that removing the tips actually "hurts" the staff. That they "know" who has removed the tips and that they can not keep the money that is paid directly to them. So, I must not understand the system.

Can anyone clarify? 4_1_203.gif

For example he suggests $5 for the room steward per day. Is this per person or per cabin ?

You should be tipping per person.

I personally tip the "average suggested" amounts to most of the crew. But if someone goes above and beyond, I make sure to personally give them something more.

Two years ago, I sailed on the Norwegian Sun with my son( who was 10 at the time). Our cabin steward would take some of his toys and add them to the towels animals, which made my son excited about going back to the cabin and my son would always laugh at whatever he did. If he saw my son in the hall, he would stop what he was doing and give him a high five. My son beamed. We also brought a wipe board to communicate with the cabin steward. He would leave silly drawing for my son. It was a connection that didn't have to be made, but Dennis (our cabin steward) made the effort and it left an impact on my son. We left the "automatic" tip on our charge and also gave him a cash tip. As a matter of fact, my son made sure he was the one to hand the envelope to Dennis.

Archived