Radiance Alaska Review (WITH LOTS OF PHOTOS)

We got off the train and picked up our luggage and then had to wait for a cab. Unfortunately all the larger cabs were taken, and although we asked them to call another, after waiting for what seemed like forever, we decided to just take 2 cabs to our hotel.

It was late at night, but because of how light it was, and how early we were leaving the next morning, we arranged for the taxi driver to take a more scenic route to our hotel so we could see a little of the city of Anchorage.

We checked into our hotel, the Marriot, and the room was really big and comfortable.

The next morning we woke up, and took the free hotel shuttle to the airport, where we were to get our flight to LA.

Check in was easy, and after leaving more of our older clothes behind, we saw at check in that we were going back to LA with about the same weight bags as we arrived.

We got to LA and had the same Prime Time shuttle booked.

I mentioned earlier in the review that I had no issues with Prime Time shuttle up till now, but would give another shuttle company a try in future. This time we waited and waited, asked what was going on and received poor service and responses, and generally the whole experience with this shuttle company left a bad taste in our mouths. It was a pity as we had them booked to return us to LAX for our flight home too.

Eventually we got picked up, and taken to our hotel in Hollywood. It took ages to get there because there was a concert at the Hollywood Bowl, and we got caught up in major traffic. We were staying at the Holiday Inn, walk of fame, so right in the thick of the traffic.

We checked in, and then spent the night out on Hollywood Blvd, checking out the sights, went to Madame Toussauds (and I prefer the NYC museum) and had dinner in Hollywood. We eventually made our way back to the hotel at around midnight.

I had been to LA a few times before, so did not want to go back to places I had been, like Venice Beach, for example, and also figured to take the kids on more scenic touring, they would be bored.

We decided to go back to another theme park, and took them to Universal Studios. It was quick and easy from where were staying. Just 2 stops on the train. We had a really fun day, and I bought a "front of the line" pass so we could experience all the attractions and rides without having to wait in lines.

Universal Studios was a lot of fun, but we had to leave at 6pm. We got the train back to Hollywood and back to the hotel, where we had checked out already but they were storing our luggage.

Our shuttle was waiting for us, and took us to LAX, where we changed clothes at the airport, and checked in for our long flight home.

Finally we boarded, and flew home. We left LA at 11:30pm on Sunday, and arrived back to a freezing cold Melbourne winters day at 8:30am on Tuesday!!! :eek: And straight to work!!!!!:eek:

So that was my trip. A cruise that I have wanted to do for so many years, even before I knew if I would even like cruise holidays.

I must say that it was worth the wait. The only unfortunate thing was that it was too short. I should have planned a little better and extended it with a land portion in Alaska or even a few extra days to go to SF or San Diego.

But I guess that will just have to be another trip.

I hope you all enjoyed this review, and thanks to those of you that have taken the time to read it and comment.

If you have any questions about anything please ask, and I will answer as best as I can.

Stay Safe!!!

What a great review. I really hate to see it end. Thanks so much for sharing your adventures and awesome photos with all of us. I could tell that you and your family really enjoyed your trip. I hope I get to go to Alaska some day. If not, then at least I got to see it through this review.

Thanks again. You did an awesome and thorough review. Now you can relax and reminisce about your trip.

Gwen :)

Thanks for a fantastic review. From Sydney but born and bred in Melbourne, we have just returned from the US having done a cruise out of NY through the Panama canal. We also cruised out of Seattle to Alaska 2 years ago . So you have freshened up a lot of amazing memories. Thank you!

So that was my trip. A cruise that I have wanted to do for so many years, even before I knew if I would even like cruise holidays.

I must say that it was worth the wait. The only unfortunate thing was that it was too short. I should have planned a little better and extended it with a land portion in Alaska or even a few extra days to go to SF or San Diego.

But I guess that will just have to be another trip.

I hope you all enjoyed this review, and thanks to those of you that have taken the time to read it and comment.

If you have any questions about anything please ask, and I will answer as best as I can.

Stay Safe!!!

For what it's worth....your review and photos sealed the deal for us to book our Radiance cruise next Spring. Despite having been to Alaska 3 times before myself...when I showed your photos in this thread to my wife - she said BOOK IT! [Which I did, even though we chose a roundtrip instead of North or South]

Thank you for your time and effort to share your terrific experiences.

Thank you for your review. I was very interested in all your thoughts and wonderful pictures. Yes I too agree The Red Onion Saloon would be something of interest to you. So did you try many different beers, did you have a favorite, recommend any? Might have to check out a few saloons with my hubbie.

"I am not sure if Australia is ridiculously expensive, or if USA was very cheap, but we shopped up a storm. After a few days in Anaheim I actually went to Wallmart and bought another bag to bring everything we bought home. :eek:"

I got a chuckle out of this. :D After spending 7 weeks in Australia in March and April I can tell you for sure that Australia is that expensive. However we enjoyed every minute of it. :)

Thank you again for taking the time to post this. I must say, you really pack an awful lot into a day. I know I'll go to Alaska someday, but I expect to stick with one excursion a day. Where do you get so much energy? Is it the beer?;)

Great review and thanks for sharing it with us. Heading to Alaska next summer - can't wait!

You have lots to look forward to. There is lots of fun in the planning.

I hope (and am sure you will) have an amazing cruise to Alaska next year.

For what it's worth....your review and photos sealed the deal for us to book our Radiance cruise next Spring. Despite having been to Alaska 3 times before myself...when I showed your photos in this thread to my wife - she said BOOK IT! [Which I did, even though we chose a roundtrip instead of North or South]

Thank you for your time and effort to share your terrific experiences.

You are in for a treat on Radiance. She is a beautiful ship, and just perfect for Alaska.

There were no roundtrip itineraries when we went. Seems they are bringing them back as the roundtrip was what my parents and brother did in Alaska many years ago.

Thank you for your review. I was very interested in all your thoughts and wonderful pictures. Yes I too agree The Red Onion Saloon would be something of interest to you. So did you try many different beers, did you have a favorite, recommend any? Might have to check out a few saloons with my hubbie.

I am a creature of habit, and generally stick to the beers I know and like (Heineken) however when travelling I like to try the local beers in the various places I visit.

I am a Lager man and dont generally enjoy an Ale, however I must say that the Alaskan Pale Ale was probably my favourite of the various beers I tried on this cruise.

I did not enjoy the Alaska Summer Ale.

And of course I enjoyed the usual heinekens that I had too.

I had a few different beers in Anaheim before the cruise, and enjoyed MOST of them, but I am sorry I don't recall the names of them. :o

Thank you again for taking the time to post this. I must say, you really pack an awful lot into a day. I know I'll go to Alaska someday, but I expect to stick with one excursion a day. Where do you get so much energy? Is it the beer?;)

I have no idea where the energy comes from. As you say, it is probably from the beer. :D

I figure that we are spending so much money and coming from so far away, that I want to try get as much as I can possibly do, done. I figure I can rest when I get home. :rolleyes:

Back in 2009, I came to USA for my brothers wedding in NYC, and first spend 8 days in Orlando. With three kids and my youngest just 3 years old at the time, we went to 8 different themeparks in the 8 days we were there, and were there from the time they opened till the time they closed each day.

We were exhausted by the time we got back to Australia.

Thanks to all those of you that I have not replied to individually. I am so glad you enjoyed my review, and that any parts of my trip either gave you the answers to any questions you may have had, or inspired you to go and do this trip yourself.

Thanks to all those of you that I have not replied to individually. I am so glad you enjoyed my review, and that any parts of my trip either gave you the answers to any questions you may have had, or inspired you to go and do this trip yourself.

Thanks for your review :)

We just came home from our cruise on the Mariner, Singapore to Shanghai in June. We had previously only cruised out of Australia and we loved the land/cruise extended holiday experience so much we decided that we would start planning an Alaskan cruise. I was just tossing up between ships but your review has convinced me we should go on Radiance.

The whole trip looked stunning and I love the positive attitude you showed throughout the whole review :)

Ok so in reading about your boarding experience I began to obsess as to the process....because we are on a city highlight tour until 2pm when they drop us off at the Pier. Our sea pass indicates boarding is from 11 to 3. In your opinion will we get through customs in time......is there a separate custom area for RCCL? Or do all ships leaving go through customs together?

:eek:

Ok so in reading about your boarding experience I began to obsess as to the process....because we are on a city highlight tour until 2pm when they drop us off at the Pier. Our sea pass indicates boarding is from 11 to 3. In your opinion will we get through customs in time......is there a separate custom area for RCCL? Or do all ships leaving go through customs together?

:eek:

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

We had the Radiance and a NCL ship in port at the same time, and customs was quite busy and slow, HOWEVER, we got there an hour before you are expected there, (at 1pm) and it seemed like this was a peak time.

I reckon the crowds will have thinned out a bit by the time you get there.

Once you get through customs, then they ask which ship you are on. One way for radiance and another way for NCL in our case, and once we got through to the Radiance check in, it was really quick and easy. The customs area itself is for all passengers on all ships in port.

Another thing to point out, is that apart from the 6 September sailing, for the rest of this season there will only ever be one other ship in Vancouver on the same day as Radiance, and that is the Amsterdam that was there when I left. It is a smaller ship with about 1300 guests on board, so you will be okay.

DT, thanks for an amazing review. We've been cruising RCI since 2000 and have been confirmed Caribbean people, but your review literally made me say "WOW!" out loud here in the house by myself more than once!!:D And since we are down here in steamy Louisiana, the prospect of cool weather in June or July is really appealing.

One thing: please make sure that you somehow save a copy of this review. Put it on a flash drive, or something! Your kids need to be able to go back and re-read it in the years to come. I envy you having those little ones to make the trip with; the pics of your daughter with the pups were just precious. (I say "little ones" only from my perspective; mine are 19 and 24 now!)

Anyway, I'm emailing a link to this review to my husband who's travelling. Hopefully it will have the same effect on him! I'm adding it to the list of cruises we need to plan -- right under the one to Australia!

Many thanks,

Nancy D