Krone/Kroner ?

Like quite a few others on this thread, we will be cruising the Baltic region soon and would like to get an idea of how much currency we should take. In particular, Sweden and Copenhagen? I have been told that both countries are pretty expensive and a comparison was given in a daily newspaper recently that quoted a "club sandwich" in Stockhom at around £15+ with Copenhagen's prices not much less. I will be using my credit card for the majority of the time (as I would here in the UK with my debit card) but would like to take some local currency for having a cup of coffee/drink and a cake or whatever while walking around so would like an idea of roughly how much I should look to take.

Do you think, say, £50 worth of SEK and the same in Danish Kroner would be okay? I don't want to come back to the UK with lots of unused currency. Help please. :confused:

Like quite a few others on this thread, we will be cruising the Baltic region soon and would like to get an idea of how much currency we should take. In particular, Sweden and Copenhagen? I have been told that both countries are pretty expensive and a comparison was given in a daily newspaper recently that quoted a "club sandwich" in Stockhom at around £15+ with Copenhagen's prices not much less. I will be using my credit card for the majority of the time (as I would here in the UK with my debit card) but would like to take some local currency for having a cup of coffee/drink and a cake or whatever while walking around so would like an idea of roughly how much I should look to take.

Do you think, say, £50 worth of SEK and the same in Danish Kroner would be okay? I don't want to come back to the UK with lots of unused currency. Help please. :confused:

We just returned from the Baltics and we exchanged $50.00 USD for each port and it worked out fine. We were able to buy a couple of coffees, soda, snack and small souvenirs such as post cards and magnets. Paid for a restroom stop and a beer. We charged larger purchases and lunches in port. Really worked out perfect. Any extra change brought home for the little ones! :)

Dolfans from Miami

Don't believe everything you read in the papers ;)

£15 would get you a snack and a beer at either port, with some change.

£30 for two is enough to jingle in your pockets, that's about the same as dolfans' $50.

As well as your card, take some euros ashore with you as back-up (they're quite widely accepted, & euro prices are quoted in many establishments) - some folk get by without any Swedish/Danish.

Get some or all of your euros etc before you go, from the usual suspects - M&S, Tesco, Post Office, on-line etc. Top-up using your debit card in an ATM in-port. Exchange rates on all ships is poor.

On the same topic, if you're cruising on an American or Italian ship you'll be asked whether you'd like your credit/debit card to be charged in sterling. Decline that offer, allow your card to be charged in ship's currency because your card supplier will convert at a much better exchange rate.

JB :)

Thanks to all that responded :)

I did wonder if just using my credit card (with no exchange fee added) would be sufficient so I think you have put my mind at rest. I already have some Euros as well as well as my Euro FairFx card so that is covered.

John Bull: good point about settling account on the ship (we are on the Celebrity Eclipse) so if they do give me the option I will pay in Dollars.

Archived