Questions about scheduling meals at Qsine and Normandie on the Summit

jax430

This is a multi-part question. I (34) am sailing on the Summit in August with my husband (35), DD (14 months), mother (over 60), sister and brother-in-law (mid 40s) and two nephews (10 & 14 years). My mom booked the cruise through a travel agent and received 6 complimentary meals at either Qsine or Normandie. We are going to break up the meals as follows:

1) Me & DH

2) Sister & BIL

3) Mom, Sister, and Me (will pay for extra meal).

First, which nights would you recommend booking the specialty meals? I think we'd prefer to be in the dining room for the formal nights.

Second, which restaurant would you recommend? The travel agent, who is closer to my mother's age, strongly recommended the Normandie. My sister and I think that Qsine sounds like fun. From what I've read, it sounds like the Normandie is more elegant, better service, etc., and Qsine is more of a unique dining experience. We were thinking of doing meals 1 & 2 at Qsine, and then my sister and I would go to Normandie with my mom. Any opinions on this plan?

Thanks so much for your help!

Have not sailed yet, but my inlaws are giving DH and I normandie for our 15 th wedding gift. She says very formal meal. White glove..

DH and I love cool and unique and heard qsine was not to be missed.

So... We are trying both in July.

Hope that helps.

We were disappointed in the food in Qsine. Perhaps it's because they have to bring the food from a galley that's not connected to the restaurant, but the food arrived lukewarm or downright cold. While some things were interesting, we just didn't think the food was quality. Now Normandie is a different story. The food has always been outstanding and the service even more so. We've probably had 20 or more meals in Normandie, and never had a bad one. BTW, just know that the baby and 10 year old cannot be accommodated in Normandie, as they have age 12 and older rules.

Qsine is more about variety and novel presentation than food quality. Our experience was that some dishes were excellent while others just mediocre. You really need a fairly large group to experience all the variety that Qsine offers. A small group of 2-3 can't sample everything without excessive waste.

For a fine dining experience, Normandie would be your best choice with a very long multicourse meal.

I haven't been so I can't recommend which.

But based on the $45/pp price, I'd say the evening you attend should depend on when they are offering discounts! ;) I have been told 20% on the first evening is not uncommon.

Archived