Help with Eidfjord

We're on a little 7-day RT out of Amsterdam, stopping at Bergen, Flam, Eidfjord and Stavanger. Amsterdam is easy, Bergen is under control (Hanseatic Wharf, Whale Hall, Fish market), Flam is the railway for sure and maybe a trip to Nærøyfjord, Stavanger might be Pulpit Rock depending on the weather, or just wandering around the old Town.

But Eidfjord:confused: I'd like to walk (?) to Voringfossen, but cannot find a trailmap. The Viking Burial sites sound interesting (but I read that one will never fiind them without a guide!) and the Kjeasen farm hosts busloads of tourists...but I haven't been able to find out how one gets on that bus!

I've spent a long time at the Eidfjord TI site; it's less than helpful and I've read that the actual office in town seems unprepared for cruise ships

Have any of you been in Eidfjord? What did you do and how did you organize it? Any help at all would be much appreciated!

• 2 years later...

Not that it will be any use to ekkc, but finding the Viking burials is easy. Walk up the river till you find the lake, go left and back on yourself along the road, and you will see big piles of rocks beside the road. They are the Viking burial sites.

We visited Eidfjord twice, in 2008 and 2009, so my information may be a little out of date, but I doubt it. It's a small village with part each side of the River Eio. We collected a map from the Tourist Information Centre and followed some of the trails.

In 2008, we followed the River Eio out of town as far as a beautiful lake called Eidfjordvatnet, then followed a zig-zag path up through the woods to the Haereid Plateau where the Viking graves are. Crossing the plateau, you are heading back towards Eidfjord, and we stopped at a viewpoint (marked on the map) for photos of the village and the ship. Then another zig-zag path took us past houses on the edge of the village and back to the ship.

In 2009, we explored the other side of the valley. There were more buildings on that side, and we followed one of the trails up to the church and the war memorial. There is a Troll Train that does the same trip, but we went further, across the Laegreid Plateau, which was mostly meadow, and then back to the village.

Of the two, the first walk was much more interesting.

The OP mentions hiking to Voringfossen from Eidfjord, but it's too far, about 15km away. It might be possible to hire a taxi though I don't think Eidfjord had many.