Is there anything to do in Dover?

Tybro

I'm debating leaving London the night before the cruise and going to Dover. I've been there once and we did the castle so don't need to do that again. I seem to remember from our last time that there wasn't much to do there other than the castle and not many places to eat, but maybe we didn't see everything? Does anyone have suggestions on what there would be to do there or where to eat the night before the cruise?

Thank you

I liked the Dover Roman Painted House, a small but interesting museum mostly devoted to local archaeology. http://theromanpaintedhouse.co.uk/

We also liked Cullins Yard, a seafood bistro/restaurant nicely located at the marina. http://www.cullinsyard.co.uk/

Other than those and the Castle I am not aware of much more, there is a museum I haven't been to, and of course you could get the train to Canterbury.

I only know Dover from using the Euro Tunnel to France. And you're right, there isn't that much to do. However, we always eat in the Best Western Dover Marina hotel and spa the night before we travel. We usually have a bar meal which is fairly good ( above average)and there is a restaurant in there which appears very popular. There is a nice conservatory verandah style window that looks over the port and you can see the ferries ( and occasional cruise liners) coming in and out of the docks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm debating leaving London the night before the cruise and going to Dover. I've been there once and we did the castle so don't need to do that again. I seem to remember from our last time that there wasn't much to do there other than the castle and not many places to eat, but maybe we didn't see everything? Does anyone have suggestions on what there would be to do there or where to eat the night before the cruise?

Thank you

It does beg the question, if you don't have anything much you want to do in Dover, why not stay in London and go down to the port the morning of embarkation?

I only know Dover from using the Euro Tunnel to France.

The Channel Tunnel is at Folkestone, not Dover.

Yes!!!

I don't know how to link to previous topics but we had a lovely day our from Dover (well actually we live close by but started out from near Dover) to the South Foreland Light House and a really delicious lunch at Mrs Knott's Tea Room. I wrote a post about it with pics. The walk from Dover and to St Margaret at Cliffe on the other side is beautiful. Easy to take bus back to Dover again.

There are loads of other places to visit too - Sandwich, Broadstairs or Canterbury all within really easy reach of Dover.

It does beg the question, if you don't have anything much you want to do in Dover, why not stay in London and go down to the port the morning of embarkation?

The Channel Tunnel is at Folkestone, not Dover.

You don't say!!! Well thanks but as we travel monthly to France I knew that- The thread is about things to do in Dover, not the exact geographical location of the tunnel- if it had been, I'd have been more exact.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you all for the suggestions. I never even thought about going to Canterbury for the day. Excellent idea! This is why I love CC.

If you've seen its castle, then you've pretty-well seen everything significant that Dover has to offer.

So yes, train to Canterbury. Frequent, direct, cheap day-return tickets, takes about 30 minutes.

Or Leeds Castle

http://www.leeds-castle.com/land.php

Train to Maidstone,also about 30 mins from Dover, taxi about 5 miles to Leeds Castle, arrange with the driver to collect you later in the day.

JB :)

If you've seen its castle, then you've pretty-well seen everything significant that Dover has to offer.

So yes, train to Canterbury. Frequent, direct, cheap day-return tickets, takes about 30 minutes.

Or Leeds Castle

http://www.leeds-castle.com/land.php

Train to Maidstone,also about 30 mins from Dover, taxi about 5 miles to Leeds Castle, arrange with the driver to collect you later in the day.

Bearsted is technically the station for Leeds Castle if you ask from locally from Dover it's prob where they would sell you a ticket too- change at Maidstone. There is a shuttle bus to the castle from there which runs March - September from memory. Worth looking at this option as the shuttle is £5 return per person so cheaper than taxi and rail ticket should not be any different in price from Maidstone.

Bearsted is technically the station for Leeds Castle if you ask from locally from Dover it's prob where they would sell you a ticket too- change at Maidstone. There is a shuttle bus to the castle from there which runs March - September from memory. Worth looking at this option as the shuttle is £5 return per person so cheaper than taxi and rail ticket should not be any different in price from Maidstone.

Hi Cshgrand,

Thanks for that, I've dug into it.

Tickets Dover to Bearsted about £18 day-return, Nat Rail website quotes the change at Ashford. Because of the train change a total journey time of a little over an hour.

April to September, hourly bus service Bearsted to Leeds castle (yep, £5 return) run by

http://www.spottravel.co.uk/leeds-castle/

I had planned a cruise to Northern Euruope and found this website. I ended up not using the "greeters" because we had to cancel the cruise. But I thought it sounded neat to be met by a local and shown the area FREE!

http://www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk/See-Do/Attractions/Tours/White-Cliffs-Greeters.aspx

Have a great trip!

Hi Cshgrand,

Thanks for that, I've dug into it.

Tickets Dover to Bearsted about £18 day-return, Nat Rail website quotes the change at Ashford. Because of the train change a total journey time of a little over an hour.

April to September, hourly bus service Bearsted to Leeds castle (yep, £5 return) run by

http://www.spottravel.co.uk/leeds-castle/

Memory serves well but confirmed research is probably better!

Archived