Child Bed/Sleeping Question

Ramrac

We are getting ready to book our next cruise and I had a question regarding sleeping arrangements for a 3.5 year old, at the time of our cruise. This cruise will be in October 2014, so still a ways away but am wondering what others have done with their kids around the same age. Were they okay on the couch turned into a bed or did you have use the ships porta crib for them, or something else?

Just trying to get an idea of what might be best for him by seeing what worked for you all.

Thanks!!!

We'll be sailing in 2 weeks with our 3.5 year old and she'll be sleeping in the couchbed. She's never done well in a pack n play, and I think she's probably too big for one now anyway.

I didn't even think of that, ha ha ha, he probably will be too big for a pack n play. I am just concerned with him rolling off, but I guess that is what extra pillows could be for.

Thanks!

I didn't even think of that, ha ha ha, he probably will be too big for a pack n play. I am just concerned with him rolling off, but I guess that is what extra pillows could be for.

Thanks!

I'm worried about DD rolling off, too, and it was suggested to bring a pool noodle, but I don't think we will.

I don't know what type of room you have...if it has the bunk beds that pull down....but if you do our steward to the mattress off and made our daughter a bed on the floor when she was two...just a suggestion

My inlaws have one of these at their house where our 3 year old sleeps in a twin bed. We're going on a cruise in January and taking it with us.

16309318018233p.jpg

It tucks under the fitted sheet and works like a charm. It deflates for easy packing.

Another option is one of these toddler bed air mattresses. 17791518514265p.jpg

We have one of these for use when we travel. They're great for hotel rooms so my husband and I still have the luxury of a king size bed, and our son sleeps on his own bed.

The nice thing about the bed rail is we don't have to bring sheets or any other additional bedding. The air mattress uses crib sheets. We've had success with both pieces.

Thanks!

I saw a super-cool and easy idea to keep little ones from rolling off the bed:

Get one of those foam swim "noodles" and put it under the bottom sheet along the outside edge of the bed!:)

I'm worried about DD rolling off, too, and it was suggested to bring a pool noodle, but I don't think we will.

That would be a good idea as a stopper, but I don't want to have to take that onto the ship and worry about bumping into people in line with it until we get our room.

My inlaws have one of these at their house where our 3 year old sleeps in a twin bed. We're going on a cruise in January and taking it with us.

16309318018233p.jpg

It tucks under the fitted sheet and works like a charm. It deflates for easy packing.

Another option is one of these toddler bed air mattresses. 17791518514265p.jpg

We have one of these for use when we travel. They're great for hotel rooms so my husband and I still have the luxury of a king size bed, and our son sleeps on his own bed.

The nice thing about the bed rail is we don't have to bring sheets or any other additional bedding. The air mattress uses crib sheets. We've had success with both pieces.

Never seen that before, that is a good idea! Thanks!

I don't know how well that would work with just one noodle for protection, at least for the ones we have around here. They are only about 3 inches in diameter.

My DIL tried it and it worked like a charm for my granddaughter. Maybe if the child is older/bigger, it might not be enough

My DIL tried it and it worked like a charm for my granddaughter. Maybe if the child is older/bigger, it might not be enough

I see now what she was saying, I was confused at first as to how to use it as a stopper/blocker.

RAMRAC, thanks for bringing this question up. I've already posted a similar topic on the Family Cruising, so I figured I might as well post a similar question. We have 27 month old twin boy and girl and are set to sail on the Breeze in July. We're trying to figure out what to do with sleeping arrangements and don't know which way to go. Since they are still sleeping in cribs at home, our first preference is to use cribs on the ship, however our concern is that cribs will be too small. We've also been exploring travel metal railings, but are not sure if they'll be effective or not. I guess pack and play is an option, but it seems like they are no bigger than the cribs carnival provides. So we're not sure what to do.

RAMRAC, thanks for bringing this question up. I've already posted a similar topic on the Family Cruising, so I figured I might as well post a similar question. We have 27 month old twin boy and girl and are set to sail on the Breeze in July. We're trying to figure out what to do with sleeping arrangements and don't know which way to go. Since they are still sleeping in cribs at home, our first preference is to use cribs on the ship, however our concern is that cribs will be too small. We've also been exploring travel metal railings, but are not sure if they'll be effective or not. I guess pack and play is an option, but it seems like they are no bigger than the cribs carnival provides. So we're not sure what to do.

Look at the previous posts on the thread, some were mentioning these inflatable bed rails and when I googled them they had pretty good reviews so I think we may try that route. Won't take up too much room in the suitcase since they are inflatable.

We last cruised when our daughter was 3.5. She slept on an upper no problem with the inflatable bed rail pictured above. I highly recommend that product...it is great for traveling (hotels, staying with family, etc).

We asked the room steward for an extra blanket and we rolled it in a long roll and put it under the sheet. It worked just like the inflateable rail. If you are still concerned you could put a few pillows on the floor. The couches are not that high.

you can always push the chair up against the bed...or place the cushions on the floor just in case.

the upper bunk scares me with my ds-when he was 6. that railing IMO is not high enough...but he did fine. i was paranoid.

my kid is wiped out every night...he passes out as soon as his head hits the bed and doesn't stir a bit.

Our grandson was almost 4 the last time we took him and his brother was almost 6. The cabin had 2 uppers and 2 lowers. There were no issues with the kids in the upper bunks. The side rails were more than sufficient to keep them safely tucked in. No one fell out. In August we have a cabin with one upper and a sofa bed. Now that they are 6 and 8 they are fighting over who gets the top bunk.

That inflatable bedrail is brilliant! I had never heard of that, but if I had (and if they existed in 2005), I would have taken one for my DD.

On our first cruise DD was 3 1/2 and our cabin had an upper bunk, but no couch. We ended up using extra pillows, folded in half, and shoved into the space between the rail and the top of the bed. A row of three folded pillows arranged this way worked beautifully.:)

Archived