WANTED! a LIVE posts from ANY Europe River Cruise on ANY Company

remydiva

What we need now, entering Week 4( as of June 26) of the terrible floods in Europe that have impacted the Rhine, Danube, Moselle, Seine and now Elbe, are REAL LIVE posts from REAL LIVE passengers.

For all those passengers packing their bags for upcoming cruises, they want to hear from YOU on board the ships NOW ...not the company reps in Calif or Switzerland.

We have one poster currently on the Elbe and he is running into some problems that sound like he is so far seeing destinations by bus using the ship as a hotel.

I think all the river cruise ships have free internet and a couple of computers on board so I hope some of you take a moment to say something as brief as : June 26 on the Viking Njord/AMA Amadeus/Scenic Jewel etc

sailing Budapest to Amsterdam.

All is good so far.

It would be helpful for those about to sail.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1868808

Yesterday, 08:28 AM

pbeach

Cool Cruiser

Aboard Amawaterways Amaprima

We are on the Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary which embarked June 19. The ship was up river of the, still inoperable, Altenworth lock docked in Durnstein.

The others joined us the evening of the 23rd and after a bus ride to Vienna and back on the 24th, the ship continued on with the original itinerary. We are currently docked in Regensberg. AMA has indicated that some sort of restitution will be forthcoming to each passenger depending upon how much their trip ended up being affected.

So far, we are very satisfied with AMA's efforts at service recovery.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1856202&page=6

June 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM

DavidF1940

Cool Cruiser

Elbe Cruise - some problems

As noted in previous posts, the Elbe cruise (Berlin/Magdeburg to Prague) starting on 23rd June has gone ahead - sort of.

We had previously been warned that high water around Dresden would prevent the ship going through, so plan was to transfer at that point to sister ship 'stranded' upstream for second half of trip; a bit of a nuisance to have to repack and then re-unpack but nothing too drastic. However situation is not that simple.

We were told on Sunday evening that, due to measurements being taken on the river, we were not allowed to set out on Monday morning, but delayed until Tuesday morning. Monday’s excursion would be done by coach from Magdeburg. This went sort of OK, but I feel the excursion, although pleasant enough, was not really worth the 3 1/2 hours spent in the coach. Some, but not all, fellow passengers felt the same.

Sadly, this (Monday) evening we were told that we are now not permitted to sail on Tuesday and not even Wednesday is assured. It seems that the river is not navigable upstream (the way we want to go) until about Dresden. Viking assures us that the visits scheduled will take place but it seems possible that all the first half of the ‘cruise’ will be by coach trips from Magdeburg. Viking have told us quite clearly that they realise that this is not the experience we are expecting and that they are looking carefully at what sort of compensation will be appropriate.

I feel desperately sorry for their hardworking, andno doubt exasperated, staff on board, who seem to be making strenuous efforts to cope with the situation (including organising extra little walking trips and even a diversion excursion to a nearby canal and lock). However, I get the impression that someone (senior management?) took a ‘flyer’ and said “go ahead” prior to full sailing authorisation being given by the river authorities (I would welcome Viking’s correction of my supposition if appropriate). I do wonder if the cruise, which was not cheap, should not have beencancelled before it went ahead, rather than risk running at half mast.

We await developments with interest, but I suggest that passengers getting ready for the next cruise should contact Viking for some pretty firm assurances.

David F seems to have a good handle on the ever changing situation and can see both sides of the dilemma they and the river cruise companies are caught in:

Viking Cruises: Update on Central Europe Flood Impact

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38919899#post38919899

Today, 02:26 PM

DavidF1940

Cool Cruiser

Update on Viking Elbe Cruise

Today (Wednesday) we got more bad news. Apparently it has been raining steadily for a day or so in Czech and German border areas, and the river there has risen sharply again. All current crew and passengers on the Viking Schumann near Dresden, which we were due to be bussed to on Thursday, have had to be taken off the ship for safety. If the rain stops as forecast, it is expected that the waters will still take some time to go down again. So plans for us have had to be altered.

Viking appears to be making the best of a very difficult and ever changing set of circumstances. Tomorrow (Thursday) we will disembark from our current ship at Magdeburg and will be taken by coach, first to Meissen (as per original itinerary except for use of coach) for a tour of factory and town. We will then be taken on to Hotel Kempinsky (apparently a very luxurious place) in Dresden for at least one night. This leaves us with two more "cruise" nights (plus one scheduled night in Prague hotel) and where we will spend these is not yet clear. Even if conditions allow us to transfer to the Schumann for these two nights, it becomes questionable whether the chance of actual cruising would make the extra packing and unpacking turmoil worth the bother.

Two points of clarification emerged from today. Firstly, it appears that the problem holding us in dock at Magdeburg is that the river authorities are taking longer than expected to be confident that all dangerous debris (containers, cars etc) dumped by the floods have been cleared. The second is that Viking claim that the river authorities had told them some time last week that the river would be clear; I have no reason to doubt Viking's version of this, but nor can I verify it of course. If true, it would seem that Viking are as much victims as are the passengers.

I think it fair to say that most passengers are torn between annoyance at the failure to get the holiday they paid for, and appreciation that Viking seem to be doing everything possible to alleviate the situation. Some passengers are beginning to take a more hostile view, but they are, I believe, a very small minority. People are, however, beginning to wonder about compensation levels that may be offered. Personally, I do not want to 'penalise' Viking, but nor do I want to pay cruise rates for a coach holiday, and no amount of alternative luxury hotels makes up for the inconvenience of extra unpacking and losing the cruise experience.

To Salad Muncher: I think you will find some of the above useful in assessing the situation. I and my wife have enjoyed much about the holiday (today's unscheuled trip to Leipzig was well run and enjoyable) but would have preferred to have had it cancelled beforehand and come again next year instead, although given the advice apparently proffered by the river authority, I don't necessarily blame Viking for going ahead. However, as I have said before, I suggest passengers on all forthcoming Elbe trips, get some assurances from their operators as to possibilities of not getting the full cruise package.

We leave on Saturday for a pre-cruise visit of Prague before embarking (hopefully), on the Viking Odin in Budapest on July 3. I will try and update regularly about our trip and comment on concerns and issues I've seen raised here. We have a balcony room so I'll comment on how much we like that to the food to how much, if any, we end up having to bus tour. Hopefully the Altenwörth lock will be open by then and not a problem.

A warning. We are generally glass half full kinds of travelers so I would expect it to take a lot for us to be really unhappy. But I will try and take a critical look at whether we feel the ship seems crowded, if we double dock too much, how good the food is, etc. We are certainly excited and looking forward to our trip. We feel lucky that we appeared to have missed the worst of the flooding and would have certainly been disapointed if our entire trip had turned into a bus tour.

Once we land in Amsterdam, we end our vacation with a short trip to London and then Paris before heading home.

Thank you, remydiva, for starting this helpful thread.

We are reading everything here on the CC boards anticipating our first river cruise in just 6 weeks.

Thank you to all the LIVE contributors for sharing your experience and observations here.

Bobalink...you are welcome. Since I seem to be reading these posts anyways, I thought it would be helpful to somehow consolidate the current posts so that it might prove helpful/comforting/informative for those leaving in the next week or so.

River cruisers do not tend to do LIVE reports like ocean cruisers do...maybe because there are no 'at sea' days or down time...you dock, you hit the ground running, you go to bed , REPEAT.

A couple of CCers posted they are leaving this weekend for cruises so maybe they will be kind enough to post a LIVE report.

Here are all the news/new posts of current info

TAUCK: Update on Flooding in Central Europe

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858232

Travel Advisory: Danube River

Update for June 26:

Water levels have decreased in many areas of Central Europe that were subjected to recent flooding. However, the Altenwörth lock on the Danube River between Krems and Vienna remains closed due to damage sustained during the flooding. Earlier estimates from local authorities that the lock would reopen to traffic this week have proven to be inaccurate, and authorities currently estimate that the lock will now reopen on June 28th.

Today, 10:46 AM

Viking Cruises

Viking Guest Relations ~~ Woodland Hills, CA

And yes, the Gabcikovo Lock has been repaired and is again functioning without interuption

Amsterdam to Budapest

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860217

June 23rd, 2013, 12:47 PM

Negma

Cool Cruiser

Live from Viking Tor

We just boarded today. Embarkation was very easy. Early impressions, brand new ship and well thought out. The room looks small but all of our stuff fit in the drawers or shelves.

The staff so far was great. They ask to purchase a 299 euro drink as much as you want whatever you want package, that is not happening with us.

Most of the folks we have met are on their first river cruise.

Just finished dinner, food was OK. My wife was not that hungry and left food on her plate. Two servers asked her if she wanted something else, we were impressed. Wines offered were fine, and soda included as well.

The technology and interactive TV is pretty neat, everything from on demand movies to music, weather and maps. They have walking earphone peices that you bring on each tour that you keep in your room.

We asked for extra pillows and bathrobes and had them in 5 minutes.

Tomorrow is an 1:45 excusion to the windmills. As I have time I will try and update with things we have NOT seen on prior posts,

We are sailing! - Viking Douro

read full review at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1869272

Today, 04:03 AM

TravelBugM

Cool Cruiser

We are sailing! - Viking Douro

I am sitting in our French Balcony on the Viking Douro watching the gorgeous scenery. I had wanted to do a day by day log, but we've been so busy, it's now Day 6 and just getting the chance now.

We have never cruised before (ocean nor river) so had no expectations. We are very independent travellers, planning everything ourselves, so the idea of being in the hands of others was really quite strange.

All we can say about the experience thus far is fantastic.

Danube river closed in Austria til June 28th

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1865479

Edited by remydiva

CENTRAL EUROPE WEATHER UPDATE - JUNE 26, 2013

Dear Viking Guests,

Water levels on the Rhine, Main and Danube have receded and sailing schedules have returned to normal. However, we would like to inform guests scheduled to sail on the Danube River that the Austrian authorities have provided an updated schedule for repairs to the Altenwörth Lock.

The Altenwörth Lock Closure: Danube River, Austria

The Altenwörth Lock, which is located on the Danube River between the Austrian cities of Vienna and Melk, was damaged during the recent flood and remains closed for repairs until June 29, 2013. [it is expected that one chamber will then re-open, with the second chamber scheduled for completion in September.We anticipate that use of only one chamber for river traffic heading in both directions will cause some delays based on traffic conditions when a ship arrives to go through the lock—but these delays should not impact itineraries in any significant way.

The Austrian lock is now open, at least one chamber is, so the Danube is now navigable between Nuremberg and Budapest. Will likely be a back up of ships waiting to get through but that should clear up in a couple of days. Happy sailing to everyone waiting for this information.

Thanks newfirsttimer for the update...i found this post as well:

The Danube is Open again

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1869846

Today, 12:47 AM

davidrw

Cool Cruiser

The Danube is Open again

After almost a month of closures the Danube is open again.

The Austrian lock partially reopened at 07:00 today, it is anticipated that it will be fully open in September. This will mean that it may take extra time to use the locks, however they will be passable and the crew are expert at this.

The lock status page now shows Green for each lock in Austria (Update - I now see that Melk is shut for a couple of hours (until midday CET) , however I guess that is normal !!)

http://www.doris.bmvit.gv.at/en/services/locks/

I hope that everything is smooth for the rest of the year (well at least for my cruise next week from Budapest to Amsterdam !!)

More information on the notices posted yesterday is in the thread:-

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1865479

And so I will continue doing the copy and paste thing when I see any LIVE updated info from those actually ON the river cruises NOW.

Here is more from David on the Elbe right now...actuallly he is NOT on the Elbe he is in a 5* hotel instead.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38931907#post38931907

Today, 01:42 PM

DavidF1940

Cool Cruiser

Thursday Evening update on Elbe Cruise

Well, there's good news and there's bad news!

Today's coach trip to Meissen (3 hours including 'comfort' break), then tour round the town and then porcelain factory, and then on to 5-star Kempinski hotel in Dresden went well enough; it must be said the coach trips are grating somewhat. Meissen was a pretty little town and the factory was reasonably interesting In the town we saw the first real signs of the dasmage done by the floods. A number of shops had taken in 1 to 1 1/2 metres of water and although clearing up has gone apace, several are still closed; it must have been awful.

The bad news is that the Schummann (the Viking boat we were intended to board eventually) is sitting in the river at Dresden, moored to the 'bank', but not accessible because the bank is partly submerged, nor will it be OK for at least 2 days. The good news is that we are staying in this excellent hotel for 2 nights, and then we will go direct to Prague (by coach of course) and spend 2 nights there instaed of one. This is an excellent solution to a very difficult situation, mainly as it avoids any unnecessary tedious pack-unpack cycles as well as too many tedious cross-country coach trips. I don't know if Viking chose the Kempinski to impress or delight us (it does both) or because it was the only reasonable one that could suply 50+ rooms at short notice. Tomorrow we will have a full day in Dresden, with a morning tour included and free time thereafter. After that, 2 nights in Prague will be nice.

I have several times referred to the valiant work being done by Viking staff here at the sharp end. I should make special mention of Radim, our Czech Cruise Director, who remains cheerful and helpful at all times, and on whom the burden of these severe and sudden changes of plan must mainly fall. He is a young man who I believe has earned the respect of us all.

Hopefully, the holiday will end on a positive note, although we would all have MUCH preferred to have cruised rather than gone on wheels.

Salad Muncher: As you can see, the river situation is not good. I am surprised that your cruise operator can feel confident in going ahead, but of course I do not have access to all the facts. It appears (and I cannot vouch for the details) that some time at the end of last week, the Czech river authorities allowed shipping to resume, and shortly afterwards there was a collision between a vessel and a submerged shipping container, aalthough no one was hurt. Thereafter, it was decided to undertake extensive surveying and dredging. I hope that anyone better in the know than I, will correct this info if needs be. SM, please feel free to pass on anything I have written to your cruise operator.

Cheers

While Uniworld, Tauck and Avalon have updated the threads on CC that they all started called something like: High Water Updates" (see below), Viking has NOT yet updated their own thread that Viking started called:

It would be consistent if Viking would update here on CC as well as their website (like the other companies)

Viking have at least updated their website. It is interesting to note that Viking is the only company to mention the second non operational chamber that won't be repaired until sometime in Sept. Points to them for providing ALL the info!

This is what it says:

CENTRAL EUROPE WEATHER UPDATE - JUNE 27, 2013

Dear Viking Guests,

Water levels on the Rhine, Main and Danube have receded and sailing schedules have returned to normal. However, we would like to inform guests scheduled to sail on the Danube River that the Austrian authorities have provided an updated schedule for repairs to the Altenwörth Lock.

The Altenwörth Lock Closure: Danube River, Austria

The Altenwörth Lock, which is located on the Danube River between the Austrian cities of Vienna and Melk, was damaged during the recent flood. Beginning on June 27, 2013, the lock re-opened one chamber after being fully closed for 2 weeks. Repairs on the second chamber are scheduled for completion in September. With the use of only one chamber for river traffic heading in both directions we anticipate that there may occasionally be some delays based on traffic conditions when a ship arrives to go through the lock—but these delays should not impact itineraries in any significant way.

TAUCK: Update on Flooding in Central Europe

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858232

Today, 10:47 AM

Tauck

Cool Cruiser

TRAVEL ALERT: DANUBE RIVER TRAFFIC - Updated June 27, 2013

Water levels have decreased across areas of Central Europe that were subjected to recent flooding. The Altenwörth lock on the Danube River between Krems and Vienna reopened early this morning local time, and we anticipate that all current and upcoming Tauck river cruises will operate normally.

Uniworld: Update on High Water Levels in Europe

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1856046

Updated message on June 27, 12:00 p.m. PDT

Dear Valued Uniworld Guests,

We are pleased to announce that the left chamber of the Altenwörth Lock has opened earlier than expected, and ships are slowly beginning to make their way through.

There is a considerable backlog of vessels to get through, so we expect delays in the near term; however, this is a very positive turn-of-events. Given that the lock is now open and water levels on the Rhine, Main and Danube continue to be at normal to near normal levels, we are confident to be back to regular operation very soon.

As always, we continue to keep a close eye on the rivers, and we will update this page as needed.

With our appreciation,

The Uniworld Team

- See more at: http://www.uniworld.com/important-notice#sthash.Hv3O9Kj1.dpuf

High Water Levels: Avalon Announcement

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1854817&page=3

Today, 09:43 AM

Avalon Waterways

Cool Cruiser

Final Europe Flooding Update - June 27, 2013

Final Europe Flooding Update - June 27, 2013:

To our travelers and travel agent partners,

Great news! Our European Operations team has advised us that the Altenwörth Lock in Austria will be back in working order by the weekend. This means our future European cruise itineraries will operate normally (and will NOT require ship swaps).

Once again, we would like to thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation throughout this unprecedented flooding situation.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Edited by remydiva

Update posted tonite LIVE from this cruise:

Amsterdam to Budapest

Live from Viking Tor June 23 embarkation

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860217&page=2

Today, 12:38 PM

Negma

Cool Cruiser

We left the ship at 2:30 for Mitenberg. It was a nice stop, maybe a little long. This might be compounded by the fact that it has rained everyday. They showed us pictures of the area we were standing that was underwater only two weeks ago. Pretty amazing, you never would have known. We also started going through the locks last night and it is pretty amazing to watch, until you have done it 20 times, only 44 to go.

Great trip so far, now if we can get better weather

Sort of...cruiser Phoebecat is back home from june 22 Viking njord cruise with report to follow...they say this so far

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1869996

Viking Njord Romantic Danube June 22

On board Viking Njord: taster of review to come

I'm on the penultimate day of Vikings Romantic Danube between Nuremberg and Budapest, sailed 22 June, following three day package in Prague. I have been on these boards before, as I like to think, a reasonable voice, cautioning against snap judgements on the cruise companies following the floods.

I have also sailed with Viking before in July 2012 on the Sun, down the Rhine. That was an excellent cruise, and on this board, I praised Vikings offering.

I shall shortly be writing a long review, which I will post on here, with regards this past weeks trip. There are some positives, but many negatives. I shall endeavour to be as objective as I can, but feel it only fair to say that I will never sail with Viking agsin. Other river cruise companies? Maybe, but the Viking offering has dramatically declined in quality and its staff in integrity over the last year, and is, quite frankly, not worth a quarter of the £6,900 we paid for this vacation.

Therefore, when I have out together a review, I shall post it on here, and look forward to hearing your thoughts. As for Vikings, well, they will be interesting to hear too.

QM2 Norway June 2007, QM2 Western Med June 2008, QM2 North American Adventure July 2009, QV Canaries May 2010, QV Round Great Britain July 2010, QV Canaries April 2011, QV Adriatic Discovery August 2011, QE Canaries November 2011, QE New Year Getaway January 2012, QV Baltics May 2012, Viking Sun Rhine Discovery July 2012

Still to come:

Celebrity Constellation September 2012

Viking Njord Romantic Danube June 2013

Edited by remydiva

Cant believe we dont have any more LIVE reports...guess it's just me!

And so I will continue doing the copy and paste thing when I see any LIVE updated info from those actually ON the river cruises NOW.

Thank you remydiva for all your hard work sharing the bits of live reports that are coming in.

Julie

Thank you remydiva for all your hard work sharing the bits of live reports that are coming in.

Julie

Thanks Julie. I find it interesting that some of the many CCers who were posting on the 'Grave situation on the Danube' and wondered about their upcoming cruises haven't posted back here somewhere about their trip.

Guess they are all having a good time? and are too busy to write us here back home!

We are on the brand new, stunning Avalon Expression. 3 days pre sail in Prague was wonderful. Arrived Nuremburg Wed and sailed Thurs noon to Regensburg. All the towns are cleaned up and having tourists. We will be able to sail thru the Altenburg lock on Sunday. Weather has been either rainy or just cloudy and cool. Pack a jacket

The ship is a floating resort with the feel of being on a constant party. I'm loving it

Karen

We are live on Scenic in Durstein Germany. We were supposed to be on Jewel, but have instead been on Diamond. We will not be ship-swapping. The problematic lock has been near Vienna, the direction we are heading. It must be open now, because we have seen several river cruise vessels heading upstream today, at least two of which appeared to be inhabited by crew only. The AMACerto just passed us, and a Viking ship earlier, don't recall which. We have seen others with passengers as well.

We boarded in Nuremberg, and other than a different ship, our cruise has been normal. If we look, we can see evidence of flooding - high water evident on buildings, occasional debris snagged in trees, and the river is high and fast. The towns, though, are clean and open for business. From what I can see, anyone with an upcoming cruise shouldn't worry.

I checked the forecast this morning, and it appears we are in for beautiful weather for the week we have remaining on our trip, unfortunately, not all on a boat!

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks live4cruises and Cobbie48 for the LIVE and encouraging posts. Sunds like you are having a great time nd things are settling down on the danube anyways.

Enjoy!

Edited by remydiva

CAnt confirm this...can anyone?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38943553#post38943553

Today, 01:14 PM

DavidF1940

Cool Cruiser

We have just heard that the Viking Schumann, recently ' stranded' at Dresden (Elbe), is due to transfer on Saturday without passengers to near Prague, presumably to pick up passengers starting out from Prague on Sunday. A good if small improvement, and no guarantee that they will be able to cruise all the way to Magdeburg/Berlin.

DavidF

Things not so good for DavidF

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38953881#post38953881

Today, 11:54 AM

DavidF1940

Cool Cruiser

Vikijg Elbe up date:

We arrived in Prague. Journey was approx 1hr in coach with local guide who never stopped talking, 1hr strolling in picturesque area, marred only by the same non-stop talking (and repeating himself) guide, followed by 2 hr lunch, followed by another 2 1/2 hr coach trip, thankfully without aforesaid guide. Much of the last part was along by the Elbe in scenic valley, which made us realise how different it would have been sitting on the boat, sipping tea, reading or whatever, rather than imprisoned in the coach. Hey-ho!

We understand that the next batch of passengers, for the return Prague to Berlin trip, is out here, and that Viking is cleared to sail all the way, lucky so-and-so's; at least OK for the present.

No news yet about compensation offer. I'll lket you know how this goes when it happemns.

Cheers

David

We're on the Uniworld tour that began in Belgrade a week ago (June 23) and arrived in Vienna this morning. Uniworld has at all times kept us apprised of current river developments, which really haven't changed much since we left Belgrade.

We spent the first six nights on the River Empress, a change from the River Ambassador which was the original planned ship. This morning we moved to the Ambassador so that the Empress could return to Budapest where it will begin another tour. A minor inconvenience, yet Uniworld is giving us a $500 credit on any future tour through 2015. Big-time customer service, in my opinion.

Our tour is over tomorrow morning, but we're staying on in Vienna till Wednesday and then on to Prague. Couldn't be happier with our experience on Uniworld.

We're on the Uniworld tour that began in Belgrade a week ago (June 23) and arrived in Vienna this morning. Uniworld has at all times kept us apprised of current river developments, which really haven't changed much since we left Belgrade.

We spent the first six nights on the River Empress, a change from the River Ambassador which was the original planned ship. This morning we moved to the Ambassador so that the Empress could return to Budapest where it will begin another tour. A minor inconvenience, yet Uniworld is giving us a $500 credit on any future tour through 2015. Big-time customer service, in my opinion.

Our tour is over tomorrow morning, but we're staying on in Vienna till Wednesday and then on to Prague. Couldn't be happier with our experience on Uniworld.

Thanks for taking the time to post. Good news all around and thumbs up for Uniworld's customer service..you sound like a satisfied client.

one more copy and paste from another thread. Not much action on this thread so maybe no news is good news and this can finally all be wrapped up. I will troll the threads for another day or so.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860217&page=2

Amsterdam to Budapest

Negma

Cool Cruiser

Live from Viking Tor Amsterdam to Budapest JUne 23

Bamberg

Off the ship at 1. 1/2 hour bus ride to city. This was not the highlight of the trip. Bamberg is a nice city, but very few highlights other than smokey beer and a town hall in the river (even a Tom Cruise story). We were there until 6:45 (they told us in advance) due to some river delays. It was way too long with not a lot to do. Many folks just hung out at the cafes for two hours. There were also other ships in port so it was a little crowded. First time other ship was tied up next to ours so they had to walk through our lobby area.

I know that sounds great for some, hanging in a cafe, but for us still too long. Many stayed on the ship for the day. We figured we would rather roam around Bamberg.

Rack of lamb for dinner and everyone LOVED it.

I made a husband mistake and thought we would be doing some of the WW2 sites in the regular included walking tour for Nuremberg. OOPS. Well Karina out CD is great. She squeezed us in and I am very happy. Also may be a day without rain. There are 4 other ships here, a fifth if you include the Mississippi queen..really...

Hard to believe one week to go. We have talked to many folks that have cruised everywhere, and the vast majority are really enjoying the trip.