Scuba Diving - Which Island?

AmyinVail

Hi! Great question! We are also going on the Pride of America and have been trying to research diving. We are thinking possibly Kona and Maui? We would also love any comments, suggestions regarding diving!!

Thanks!

Big Island Divers in Kona were very accomadating on my recent cruise to Hawaii. They picked us up at the pier, took us to the dive shop, outfitted everyone, offered fresh Kona coffee and off we went. The diving was wonderful, such clear water and the dive master and crew were very knowledeble. Can't wait to go back!!:cool:

I'm also going to Hawaii at the end of Aug. - early Sept. Will also do my AOW there. This is what I have learned so far:

Oahu -- good wrech diving. Calmer water in the west in summer. In winter water gets rough in north shore, so some boats move to south

Kauai - most shops go out very early, too early for cruise ship. However, the shop that deals with NCL adjusts their schedule for cruise days. During summer months, they do long range dive to Nihau, which is quite good.

Big Island -- Little happens near Hilo. Kona coast has very good diving/fishing/dolphin watching. In winter months can see whales. Many shops operate near the Kailua-Kona harbour, for example many are at the Honokohau harbour 2 miles north. Some will pick you up from Kailua pier. I actually arranged for the 6 us of a private charter for myself diving and my friends snorkeling/fishing.

It was interesting to find that in Oahu, there are 30+ dive shops, most don't have their own store or boats, but buy whole sale seats on other boats. Some are good, some are "shady". In Kona, they all seem to have their own boats, most take up to 6 people.

Most feel that Kona has the best diving in all of Hawaii. It has calm waters, protected by the high valcano mountains, and a gradual sloping coast outwards. Because of the lava shores, the clear water provides excellent visibility. Also only in Kona there is the Manta Ray night dive, which is supposed to be amazing. The manta rays brush by the top of your head.

This is one of the better manta ray pictures I've found:

http://www.scubaboard.com/member.php?userid=860

I've been diving on Oahu and Maui. Of the two, I prefer Maui. The wrecks on Oahu were great but I'm more into fish and love taking photos of them, and I think Maui has more fish.

I understand that Kona is even better so I can't wait for my next trip to Hawaii.

In Maui we'll be driving the road to Hana, so I didn't look into the shops.

In Kona, I looked into a lot of shops. Many of them leave earlier than the ship's tendering in time. But some of them are fine, and some would even pick you up.

Depending on how many of you want to dive or snorkel or even fish, or just tag along, you could even consider booking a private charter. (I booked a private charter for the 6 of us, I being the only diver, the others are snorkelers/riders. Between dives, they would take us to watch dolphins/manta-rays, and deep sea fishing)

Here is a good listing of the dive shops in Kona:

http://www.wanna-dive-kona.com/links.htm

Out of these, forget about Dive Makai, Aloha, Mara -- they are too far. The Fairwinds or Body Glove are big cats for snorklers (can do basic dives too). The Kona Aggressor is a live-aboard.

Oh, even if the shop doesn't pick up, you can still get to the Honokohau harbour 2 mi. north by taxi, or by rental car. Rent from Hertz in town.

On Maui I've dived with Mike Severns and Maui Dive Shop. Of the two, I prefer Mike Severns. But that depends on what you want in your dive. Mike Severns has two speeds underwater, slow and stop, and that gives photographers, like me, a chance to see and photograph the underwater creatures, before moving on.

Maui Dive Shop ran an excellent dive, but they were more into covering ground than spending much time observing anything. It was more of a find it, see it, move on type of operation. The dive group I was in got out of my sight 3 times, on one dive, because I paused to take a couple of photos. Luckily, I was buddied with another photographer so we just did our own thing.

I've been in contact with Dive Makai in Kona because they bill themselves as a "slow and stop" operation, like Severns.

Mike Severns does not take snorkelers, while Maui Dive Shop does. My wife does not dive and wanted to snorkel, so that's how I got hooked up with Maui Dive Shop.

Archived