Orkney/kirkwall and Guernsey port Help Please!

littleladymaria

Our first stop was in the Orkney Islands North of the Scottish mainland. I took a trip to some historical sites. I first stopped at Maes Howe, which was a beehive shaped tomb similar to the one on Mycanae, but much smaller. To enter you had to hunker down through a short tunnel. Inscribed inside was graffiti in the runic alphabet, probably left by Vikings.

We then stopped at Skara Brae, which was a Neolithic village that had been covered up by sand for centuries until a storm uncovered it in the 1800's. There were artifacts such as tools, beads, pottery, stone and whalebone items found in the site. They were thought to have been used about 3000 to 2000 B.C.

Our last stop was at the Ring of Broadgor, where there were originally 60 standing stones in a circle 6degrees apart.

We did not stop at the Shetlands, and in Guernsey we took a flightseeing trip. Our next stop was Gurnsey, in the Channel Islands. We took a one-hour sightseeing flight that took us over some of the other islands. The most exciting part was when he made a low pass over the airport at Aldeney. We were so low I could almost count the blades of grass! Unfortunately, by the time we got back, there was not enough time to wander in town.

The Occupation Museum was interesting. Some people did the boat ride and liked it. The cosmetics prices were excellent so worth having a browse in shops for tax free items

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In Orkney there are a number of Viking era historical sites.

For Guernsey - if you're only planning to see St Peters Port then you won't need to book anything, it's easy to walk around. One thing I would recommend is following the stairs up into the town to see the view. I only had a couple of hours there on a brief business trip a couple of years ago, and the view was spectacular - you could easily see the other islands nearby.

Also I might suggest a trip on the ferry to Sark - it's a small community which has the unique element of having all cars banned from the island (with the exception of a single police car). Didn't manage to get there on my previous trip but I saw a TV program on it when I was a kid and always wanted to visit the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I can't help you with Orkney, but I live in Guernsey so can help you with that.

Sark - their are more vehicles than just a police car, there are quite a few tractors, an ambulance and tractor-bus service up a (very steep) hill. Not a huge amount to see, very dusty and a longish boat journey.

Herm is probably the better island to visit providing its not raining or cold. When it's cold on Guernsey it's very cold in Herm, when it's hot in Guernsey it's very hot in Herm and when it's raining it's normally very humid in Herm. There are several good beaches in Herm and a fair few walking routes. There is also a quick regular boat between Guernsey and Herm (the Travel Trident). However Herm is quite touristy as it is effectively a private island catering for tourism.

Buses - The service is sporadic at best (due to strikes and under-staffing) and £2 a journey if you don't live in Guernsey (60p to £1 if you do, heavily subsidized either way as the overall cost of a bus journey is £4 i.e. cash fare plus government subsidy)

Tax-Free shopping is a myth, while the shopping may be tax free the prices are between about 2% cheaper and 200% more expensive than the UK price (including VAT).

Aurigny, The government owned airline offers (10 minute) round the island flights for £35ish per person on a trislander. If you haven't been on a trislander the best description I can give is coffin with wings.

Archived