"Where's the men?" (or bring custodial papers to Canada/Skagway)

Kerry's Girls

Since the topic of custodial paperwork comes up every once in awhile, I wanted to mention our border experience on our Alaska cruise. Our group had three single-mom families (one widow, one w/just mom on the birth certificate and one with dad out of the picture). Since I have been asked to provide proof a number of times when cruising, I told the other moms to bring it in addition to passports. The dad-out-of-the-picture mom though said she's never had a problem and didn't want to bring it up with the dad.

Doing a Yukon excursion or drive in Skagway requires crossing into Canada, It was 3 moms and 4 kids in a rented mini-van pulling up to the border guard, who looked at our passports very closely, asked us to roll the windows down so he could check everyone in the vehicle, and then he finally asked "Where's the men?" While the best response would have been "That's what we want to know!", I knew he was serious. We passed up the death certificate, birth certificate and explained that the other dad was out of the picture. He questioned the 8 year old boy about the dad and then let us proceed. I don't know what the guard would have done if the child wasn't old enough to talk or hadn't answered just right (or if the guard had been crabbier that day) - we could have ended up with a disappointed carload.

I must say the border guard for the US going back in was equally as stern, but didn't ask for the back up documents.

Best,

Mia

Yup, that's why this weekend when I'm taking my four young grandchildren to Canada, I'll have their passports, the notarized letter from both parents, their medical cards and permission to treat as well as a photo copy of the parents passports showing their signatures match the letter. I get asked for the letter every time.

Archived