In cabin coffee

silver service

On our recent trip which involved a Hamburg to Hamburg trip the passengers were predominately German and one of the banks of coffee machines in Kings Court was set up using a German brand of coffee (cannot remember the name but sure someone will) I don't mind the usual KC stuff but this was far nicer IMHO

• 4 weeks later...
On our recent trip which involved a Hamburg to Hamburg trip the passengers were predominately German and one of the banks of coffee machines in Kings Court was set up using a German brand of coffee (cannot remember the name but sure someone will) I don't mind the usual KC stuff but this was far nicer IMHO

Now we thought this German coffee was awful, though I do realise coffee tastes are different. We quite like the normal stuff, pretty good for cruise ship coffee. But this was just strange and bitter. Did all the Germans complain about the normal coffee then?

I did think as Brits we should request a whole coffee station serving Betty's or Taylor's coffee, packaged right here in Harrogate. Seems fair to me;). You Americans could ask for your favourite ground coffee too.

Anyone take a travel kettle with them, as none provided on cunard?

Yes we take a travel kettle. We then get a mug each, tea bags and milk from kings court. We have to be always able to make a cup of tea!

Yes we take a travel kettle. We then get a mug each, tea bags and milk from kings court. We have to be always able to make a cup of tea!

I feel the same way. I have been doing it for at least ten years or more. I have never had a steward/stewardess or butler confiscate it or ask me not to use it. I am sure, like me, you unplug it after each use. I find it more frightening those that bring their own powerful hair dryers or electric hair curlers and perhaps place them on the sink vanity close to towels. Although not on a ship, I have heard stories of an overworked hair dryer, after being placed on a bed, sparking a few flames.

Incidentally, does't it feel a little weird loading up on tea bags in the King's Court? I have often brought my own to save myself the embarrassment that someone might think I was preparing a home take-away.

By the way, please be prepared for a few attacks from posters regarding kettles on board.

Jeanne

I would not want make my own coffee/tea when a staff is willing to do it for me 24/7. And they bring it to me in nice elegant china ware instead of a cafeteria mug.

I feel the same way. It so depressing getting home and having to make your first cup of tea.

Incidentally, does't it feel a little weird loading up on tea bags in the King's Court?

Jeanne

To be honest I probably only have 1 or 2 cups of tea a day in the cabin, so there is 'no loading up', I just make sure I have a couple in my cabin.

I prefer to make my own tea. On our last Princess cruise in June I noticed that when the buffet stewards made tea for someone they typically put the hot water in the cup first and then added the teabag. That would make pretty weak tea! I'm the best person to make a cup how I like it

I really don't like American coffee that is served on board Cunard ships.too weak I prefer the Italian expresso,or Cappuccino. I don't know if this is avail for AM room service or served in The dinning room at breakfast?

You have to go to Sir Samuels (there is a charge) if you want espresso or cappucino; If you are in the Grills, just ask for it at any meal.

Anyone take a travel kettle with them, as none provided on cunard?

We do this regularly on HAL for tea and have never had a problem. The room stewards surprise us with fresh milk and keep us in china teacups. We use a one-cup Sunbeam "hot shot" tea maker, and bring our own tea with us. We find that, on ships and in hotels, the carafes of hot water via room service taste like coffee. :)

You have to go to Sir Samuels (there is a charge) if you want espresso or cappucino; If you are in the Grills, just ask for it at any meal.

Not just the grills thankfully. I always enjoy a wonderful cappuccino or latte at breakfast and after dinner in the Britannia Restaurant.

Archived