Captain Warner takes command of QM2 today

APH

Captain Bernard Warner has officialy assumed command of the QM2 before she departs on her latest westbound trans-Atlantic voyage this afternoon.

Im sure we wish him all the best. :D

Andy

Captain Bernard Warner has officialy assumed command of the QM2 before she departs on her latest westbound trans-Atlantic voyage this afternoon.

Im sure we wish him all the best. :D

Andy

And, presumably through no fault of his own, leaving some very unhappy Cunard customers in his wake.

Let us also wish the best for Captains McNaught and Wright, and hope for their swift return to Cunard and to the ships they love.

Mike

Thank you! I just checked this - my grandfather was a Yorkshire boy who came to the USA when he was three. His parents divorced and his father returned to Yorkshire, never to be heard from again! Maybe the Captain and I are long-lost cousins!!!! I hope I'll have the opportunity to ask him about a possible connection!

Ciao!

The Commodore has not retired. I have read that he plans to remain until after QM2 has gone round the Horn and to California and Hawaii.

I would assume that he is presently on vacation.

I do think that someone posted on this board what ships Captains MacNaught and Wright are being seconded to.

It is worth noting that P&O Princess have been very careful in using the term "secondment" rather than "transfer". This implies that they are only going to be on Princess ships for a limited amount of time, to be familiarized with Princess' onboard policies and generally integrated into the larger organization.

At any rate, I wish Captain Warner the best of luck as master of the world's largest ocean liner. I am sure he, or any other Princess captain, will be more than up to the job.

Captain Warner must be a most excellent fellow or he would not be at the helm of the QM2! I know there are many on this board who have their favorite Cunard captains - but think about what an exclusive group this is! All of them are legends. I'm just glad to be sailing on the QM2, and I will be happy to thank Captain Warner for an awesome crossing.

Captain Warner must be a most excellent fellow or he would not be at the helm of the QM2! I know there are many on this board who have their favorite Cunard captains - but think about what an exclusive group this is! All of them are legends. I'm just glad to be sailing on the QM2, and I will be happy to thank Captain Warner for an awesome crossing.

Here, here....to be designated Captain of the QM2 is not something to be scoffed at.

We look forward to sailing with Captain Warner in August...

The Golds.

Thanks imacruiser. Was hoping he might be on the Crown out of NYC so I could sail with Him again "Ireland Island" (he won't call it King's Wharf or Nelson's Dockyard) and the Carribean.

Jeanne,

Nelson's Dockyard is in Antugua!

"Kings Wharf is a new name in Bermuda. The berth is new, built in the mid 80's. It is actually part of the North Breakwater Arm which enclosed the North Basin.

Within North Basin there are several wharves.... Sheerlegs, Clock Tower, Slipway and Coal Wharf. In the South Basin the wharves are called Oil Wharf, Knuckes and Flagship. These are the old names which were used when the facility was a fully functioning H.M. Dockyard.

Stephen

(Queen's Harbour Master, Bermuda 1982 - 1983)

Thanks for the correction, Stephen. I read somewhere on Cruise Critic that it was the Diamond, but I certainly wasn't absolutely certain.

I sure wish Personnel Department would get our approval before making these changes. ;)

Stephen

Jeanne,

Nelson's Dockyard is in Antugua!

"Kings Wharf is a new name in Bermuda. The berth is new, built in the mid 80's. It is actually part of the North Breakwater Arm which enclosed the North Basin.

Within North Basin there are several wharves.... Sheerlegs, Clock Tower, Slipway and Coal Wharf. In the South Basin the wharves are called Oil Wharf, Knuckes and Flagship. These are the old names which were used when the facility was a fully functioning H.M. Dockyard.

Stephen

(Queen's Harbour Master, Bermuda 1982 - 1983)

Thanks for the information regarding the Sapphire Princess and Captain Wright. I do this sometimes - mean to write The Dockyard or Royal Naval Dockyard and write Nelson's (probably because the Maritime Museum there has such a tribute to his flagship). Paul Wright told us the same thing about KW pier being. We first visited this part of Bermuda only a few years ago having never been past Port Royal Golf Course.

I got to spend time with Captain Paul when I sailed on the QM2 last year and found him to be not only a great captain but a great, very down to earth guy as well. He told me that after all his years at sea, he decided to buy a boat for himself and went "shopping" at a boatyard. The choice came down between a 32 ft or a 36 ft cabin cruiser. Not knowing who he was dealing with, the salesman tried to steer him toward the 32 ft boat, because he didn't want the new boat owner to start off with too big a boat that he couldn't handle. Paul never revealed his identity, got the 36 footer and left the salesman shaking his head. The Diamond Princess is in very good hands.

A similar story.....

The captain of a very large liner was teasing the owner of a small motor yacht and said, "What do you chaps do when you loose sight of land?" The yachtsman replied, " Same thing that you do when you see it!"

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

I had written a previous trip report and mentioned that we had dinner with Captain Warner on his first trip, on the Crossing back to New York. He had been on the cruise 2 weeks before with the Commadore. I thought that Captain Warner had a wonderful presence about himself, and was a peoples person, very friendly and charming, went out of his way to talk to the passengers , unlike the Commadore who we attended a small private party with, who does not say much. The Commadores wife makes up for him, she has a great personality. Actually her and I were in the laundry room one day, and that is when she told me that they were going on vacation and that the Commadore, Captain Warner and Paul Wright would be alternating on the Queen. Just a cure little story to share-- At dinner I said to Captain Warner, whose wife was at home with their children- Your wife must be so proud of you and he laughed and said----- No my mother is the one------

Archived