Hubby's going to dress in his formal blues!!!

Sablerose

There is a USAF document on the proper way to wear the military uniform. I am not trying to imply that you all do not know how to properly dress and wear the uniforms because if you are in the military you do hnow.

All that I am suggesting is that when I was in the military you wore your medals and not your ribbons on your formal dress or mess dress uniform. That is the only thing that I am asking you to verify as I have now been out of the military longer than my 20 plus years in the military and things do change over time.

Wear it proudly and represent us old retirees well.

I would gladly wear mine but now it would only cover half of me at the waist and that would not look too good. :D

There is a USAF document on the proper way to wear the military uniform. I am not trying to imply that you all do not know how to properly dress and wear the uniforms because if you are in the military you do hnow.

All that I am suggesting is that when I was in the military you wore your medals and not your ribbons on your formal dress or mess dress uniform. That is the only thing that I am asking you to verify as I have now been out of the military longer than my 20 plus years in the military and things do change over time.

I would gladly wear mine but now it would only cover half of me at the waist and that would not look too good. :D

I know that on a Mess Dress you where Medals not ribbons...but when DH wears the Blue Service Coat it has ribbon.

We're on the Elation but don't know when yet( our Jan-06 has been cancelled- drydock:(). But DH will be wearing his summer mess dress- that's the appropriate Navy uniform for the Caribbean- they don't go to blues in the winter there. It's the white jacket 'tux'. He has only worn a uniform once since he retired 8 years ago so I'm looking forward to it, too.

Hubby wore his blues on the first formal night. There were so many guys in their greens and blues, not counting the huge troop of firefighters in their dress uniforms. It was quite nice! Looking sharp!

Have fun, get lots of pictures made, plus hand your camera to people to take your pictures together, and enjoy!

Stef

Proud VA Army National Guard wife! HOOAH

Class A Service Dress has ribbons and emblems, not medals, whether you're wearing a bow-tie or a flat tie, I believe.

Thanks for this thread topic! I have now officially talked my husband into wearing his dress blue's or green's on our cruise in 6 days!! Hopefully it will end up being the dress blue's; but he needs a few additions to it since he just made Captain and returned from Iraq! Hope your DH returns soon and safe, have a great cruise!!

I've got to be honest, as totally amazed, proud, flattered and grateful I am that everyone here is so supportive of our military...

... is it wrong if I say I hope some folks aboard ship are also as generous as you all have said you'd be with the occasional cocktail?

:D

I'm just kidding.

Mostly.

:p

we take the opportunity to say Thank You to all our service men and women....when we see them in the airport etc. So I would love to see those blues on our cruise!!!

I've got to be honest, as totally amazed, proud, flattered and grateful I am that everyone here is so supportive of our military...

... is it wrong if I say I hope some folks aboard ship are also as generous as you all have said you'd be with the occasional cocktail?

I'm just kidding.

Mostly.

I'm sure there will be a few.

I'm sure there will be a few.

Even if there were none, just smiles and positive reactions would make our night(s).

Even with all my smiley faces when I re-read my post it looks like I'm praying the Beer Fairy will shower us with bevvies, and that isn't even it.

I hope I didn't come across wrong, there.

Even if there were none, just smiles and positive reactions would make our night(s).

Even with all my smiley faces when I re-read my post it looks like I'm praying the Beer Fairy will shower us with bevvies, and that isn't even it.

I hope I didn't come across wrong, there.

Again, as has been stated - No doubt there will be plenty of positive reactions.

I'm sure everyone knows the spirit your posts were intended.

No you didn't.

My husband has been in the Marine Corps for 20+ years and although I am sure that your DH would look wonderful in his uniform and YES we are all PROUD of our service members, however, I don't it is a good idea to wear any related military uniform while out of the country. Usually the ships are not registred in the US and we are sailing to a foreign country. It is important to blend in with everyone while abroad. Good luck and I hope all works well for you and your family.

:) :)

I'm just kidding.

Mostly.

:( Not a single one was slung our way, but we did end up in an interesting conversation with a woman who apparently thought it was my husband's idea to go to Iraq. Her daughter shushed her and we only saw them one more time before the end of the cruise and the older woman wouldn't look at us....:) I have to laugh at people like that. At least she didn't accost my husband in the DC metro station about being a 'trained killer'! LOL! That was interesting, and we can laugh about it now...at the time, I was looking for security.

Stef

My husband has been in the Marine Corps for 20+ years and although I am sure that your DH would look wonderful in his uniform and YES we are all PROUD of our service members, however, I don't it is a good idea to wear any related military uniform while out of the country. Usually the ships are not registred in the US and we are sailing to a foreign country. It is important to blend in with everyone while abroad. Good luck and I hope all works well for you and your family.

:) :)

He's not wearing it off the boat into Belize. Geez. It's to DINNER.

Blend in...hmmmm...so he should wear shorts, flip flops and a tank top to formal night.

Wear it proudly I say!

augustcruiser: I think being on the ship loaded down with Americans eating a fine meal in the dining room will be an okay place to wear it. Just my opinion, though. It's not like he's going in his BDU's.

tankersbabe, sorry you had an experience like that. That's the thing I think my hubby tries to avoid by being inconspicuous about his military status. Hopefuly folks are a little more aware by now of what's going on. People like that just need to have their mouths taped shut.

ANd Gypsymom -- i don't think I said this (just got reminded because someone else beat me to it) but please give your DH a welcome home, a congratulations on his promotion, and enjoy every minute of your vacation together!!!

I would be very proud to cruise with you and your husband. You tell him to wear his dress blues and don't be surprised if many other cruisers want to shake his hand and thank you both for your service. My son is in the Navy so I know first hand how hard it is to be the one waiting at home. Enjoy your cruise and again thank you both for your service.

He's not wearing it off the boat into Belize. Geez. It's to DINNER.

Blend in...hmmmm...so he should wear shorts, flip flops and a tank top to formal night.

Wear it proudly I say!

I did not suggest that he not wear appropriate attire to the formal dinner, just a reminder that times have changed and it is important sometimes to be reminded of that. Maybe he should take a suit just in case he feels it would be more appropriate once on board. :)

THESE COLORS DON'T RUN– only the tears of family members left behind. ;)

Archived