Best Way For Party of 6 to Get Around The Island

I am looking for advice on the best way for our group to get around the island of Sint Maarten/St. Martin while we are in port - hire a taxi for the day, rent a car, take a taxi from point to point, or some other option that I'm not aware of? Maybe book a custom tour?

We are scheduled to be in port on Thursday, Aug. 15, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We are 3 adults (ages 34 to 56) and 3 kids (ages 3, 11, and 12). We wouldn't mind seeing a nice beach but it isn't at the top of our list of requirements since it's a 7-day cruise and we'll have LOTS of time at the pool and other beaches, plus we're from Central Florida and beaches aren't exotic to us, although the clothing-optional part of it would be different and would certainly give the kids something to talk about when they went back to school. :eek:

What we ARE considering is a trip to the St. Maarten Park to visit the zoo, and to the Butterfly Farm. We would like to see a bit of the island, especially any nature or history oriented sites, or places to get some good pictures. My DIL and I wouldn't mind shopping, but DS and the kids won't want to do that so we might just skip it. Lunch in a spot with a great view would be awesome too (hopefully the weather will cooperate). None of the ship excursions are really what we are looking for, and the prices seem pretty high for what you get so it seemed like it might be best to take off on our own.

So, would those of you familiar with these things advise us to hire a taxi? If they charge per person then 6 people could add up fast. Or would they do a flat-rate for an all day hire? Do they even HAVE taxis that the 6 of us could fit in without sitting on each others laps? We are family but not THAT friendly. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

I feel like a representative for Coastal Car Rental - but I honestly have no affiliation. It is very easy to reserve and drive there(IMHO - regardless of what you may read). I'm a soccer mom in a rural area and have no problems driving here. Coastal offers GPS for $5 and it has all the sights programmed.

For history - I recommend Ft. St. Louis in Marigot. It's free and offers a beautiful view from the top.

You can book a tour or hire a drive or cab, but the cost will be MUCH more.

Archived